Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Pope Lube Pump (Read 961 times)
cheatin_charlie
Senior Forum Member

Re: Pope Lube Pump
Reply #15 - Jun 17th, 2024 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Green_Frog wrote on Jun 17th, 2024 at 1:45pm:
Tom and Charlie, I’ve just reread your dimensions and have to ask.  Do the large diameters of your different really differ by 35 thousandths?  If they are that different, I guess I’ll have to spend extra time measuring my specific pump’s chamber.  

I understand the difference in length of the various inserts to accommodate bullet lengths, but think for my purposes I’ll settle on one (fairly long) length for my blanks just to be consistent. 

Thanks again,
Froggie

You have me confused with the 35 thousands difference on the OD.  Please explain.

IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #16 - Jun 17th, 2024 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Going back to my post the die has two diameters first into the pump is .499 the base end of bullet , last diameter is .504. only five thousands difference .005. the slight tape insures the fit into the body without slipping all the way thru and no O rings are needed for a seal. Length can be whatever the length of the die cavity is in the body.  I hope this clears up my part in this?  Tom

IP Logged

cheatin_charlie
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Jun 17th, 2024 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Yes I understood what you were describing, the 35 thousand threw me off.
He will just have to measure his and make it to fit.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #18 - Jun 17th, 2024 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
OK, two more questions now for all to consider.  Number 1, for Tom & Charlie, what is the outside diameter of the insert?  Have I misread it as being .5005” the full length or is it .504” at the base end and .499” at the end that goes in first, or??  If I read Tom’s measurements correctly, it is the latter and Charlie’s seems to be cylindrical at the  smaller .5005” diameter all the way.  I was subtracting .5005” from 504” and getting 35 ten thousandths, then misplaced my decimal.  Embarrassed. I guess I’ll have to check for that taper in mine.
Number 2 for all three of you,  are the chambers all reamed straight through (or with taper as needed) without regard to nose shape of the bullet?  Charlie Dell insisted that the chamber had to fit the bullet profile exactly until it got down to the size of the pilot hole.  A lot of extra work!   Huh
I’m probably digging for answers I can’t answer until my pump is in hand.  I really do appreciate all of your input so I’ll be able to “hit the ground running” when it finally does arrive.
5o, thanks to all of you for putting up with all these questions.
Froggie

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jun 17th, 2024 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
My response to the "fit" of the lube tube in the lubricator is to use one of the readily available o'rings available at the auto store.   Solves machining problems and they will work great, and not need any precision machining to make them work.  I use them in both of my Charlie Dell lubricators with complete satisfaction.

CHRIS

IP Logged

Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #20 - Jun 17th, 2024 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
I use three different pumps Original Hartford marked Pope A Joe Ruth pump and one made by the late B W Darr. All take the same dies ,499 x 504. The dies are cut down leaving a ring at the top and at the bottom so they slide in and out easily.
Small end goes in first the dies are cut for the bullet you are using straight no taper, Pope multi diameter bullet we would cut the die to fit it with no lube leakage. I went and  took pictures to illustrate this and find since the last microcrap 11 DOWNDATE it and others on line  will not now read SD cards. So now I have to find out how to correct this!

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #21 - Jun 17th, 2024 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Chris,
The difference is that the Dell pump uses a 3/4” insert while the original Pope and its Ruth clone use a 1/2” insert I guess I could go with O-rings, but that wasn’t how Harry did it.  Wink
Froggie

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #22 - Jun 17th, 2024 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Ooo, ooo, I’ve never seen one of Barry’s. Is it a pretty close copy of the Pope version?
Froggie

IP Logged

Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #23 - Jun 17th, 2024 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Found it Darr is like Pope and Ruth pumps.

IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Reply #24 - Jun 18th, 2024 at 1:04am
Print Post  
I THINK Charlie's reasoning for the the nose fitting was to absolutely control how deep the bullet would go into the die. I usually just fitted to the nose and body diameters, pushing the bullet base in flush, and got a decent seal unless you really gronked on the handle.

Willis

Willis Gregory, aka singleshot

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #25 - Jun 18th, 2024 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Thanks, Tom.  Now I’ve got a case of “pump envy” though!  Grin  That’s an impressive array.
Good to hear from you too, singleshot.  I know Charlie “passed the torch” to you on his lube pump production so I can take you info on his designs as definitive.  Cool
Froggie

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #26 - Jun 18th, 2024 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
DId pope taper bore the inserts to match bullet taper?

IP Logged

Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #27 - Jun 18th, 2024 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Yes they are taper bored to fit the bullet.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Jun 18th, 2024 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
If available, boring the lube die with the bullet mold cherry sure works nice. Just enough clearance.
Chuck

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #29 - Jun 19th, 2024 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Chuckster wrote on Jun 18th, 2024 at 11:17pm:
If available, boring the lube die with the bullet mold cherry sure works nice. Just enough clearance.
Chuck

Yeah, that would be nice,but if one buys their bullet moulds they probably don’t have access to the cherry.  That’s why there’s so much discussion about how to ream the insert for a proper fit.  Most of my moulds came to me in a circuitous manner from the maker, and in many cases such as my 25 cal perfection, there is some doubt the cherry even exists still.  Lips Sealed
Froggie

Observation:  This is turning into a better, more far reaching thread than I had expected or hoped for.  Keep it up!  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint