Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Swaging Number 2. (Read 167 times)
Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Swaging Number 2.
Jun 12th, 2024 at 1:36am
Print Post  
My theory is that a cup base will help to keep the hot gases behind your bullet and not flow past as well as moving the lead forward.
Your standard 22 R/F case will make a 63 grain bullet with no hassles as the case is about the right length for this weight  but you will find that after ironing out the rim that some of the cases will not be the same length and they will really require trimming to get them all the same length.
I have a toolmaker friend and he made me up a die to put in a bench vice, this has an adjustable screw in the bottom of a hole that is a precise fit for a jacket with the lead core in. I have found out by trial and error that the lead wants to be around .125”or about an eighth of an inch below the case mouth to get a nice open tip bullet or a lead tip bullet and only a few rejects from the case folding into itself when forming the ogive.
This die is some sort of tool steel that I suppose he has had hardened as the fine tooth file that he supplied with it does not mark the die.
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2024 at 5:22pm by Nero »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint