Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Swaging Number 3 (Read 166 times)
Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Swaging Number 3
Jun 12th, 2024 at 1:33am
Print Post  
The jackets with the lead in are popped into the die and depending how much you have adjusted the die you file off the protruding jacket.
The adjustable screw in the bottom has a hole drilled through it so a thin piece of steel wire can go through it to push out the jacket but I have made up a tool from a large bradawl, took the point off until it just fits into the case mouth and pushing it into the case mouth it will cling to the case and pull it out of the die and at the same time smooth out the case mouth. I then clean up any whiskers on the case mouth with one of those inside outside little tools you can buy and all being well your ogive should now form ok.
When the bullet is in the ogive forming die you then make the decision as to whether you want an open tip or a lead tip.
If a lead tip, the ogive is squeezed down a little more and the lead is protruded from the jacket just a little.
The die is then changed over to the point forming die and there you have your perfect hand made bullet.
A lot of work but very satisfying.
I have been told that if you drive these thin R/F jackets too fast down range they will disaggregate on the way down but this has never happened to me. 
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2024 at 10:16pm by Nero »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint