Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) John Taylor/ Taylor Machine still doing gunwork?? (Read 2005 times)
jk16
Participating Member

John Taylor/ Taylor Machine still doing gunwork??
Jun 7th, 2024 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
Gents,

I read somewhere online a few years back that John Taylor had moved his shop from Washington to Idaho.. Is he up and running again? I have a rifle I would  like for him to reline if possible.

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: John Taylor/ Taylor Machine still doing gunwork??
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2024 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
I'm still at it, just a bit slower. At 3/4 of a century age and covid has slowed me down a little.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2024 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
John Taylor wrote on Jun 7th, 2024 at 2:07pm:
I'm still at it, just a bit slower. At 3/4 of a century age and covid has slowed me down a little.

John, At 80 I’ve slowed down quite a bit, I didn’t retire until I was 75 and it was by choice as I enjoyed what I was doing. You’ve got my Hepburn barrel in your que so don’t retire just yet!  Lol  Best to you!

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2024 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Mr.Taylor,

I have a friend who has a Rodney Storey 74 Sharps action kit and wants to have the square barrel thread like the original. Do you do this or know anyone who does? I built my 74 several years ago and John King did mine but he swore he would never do another one Lol... Thanks

JMH

IP Logged

wesg
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2024 at 11:54am
Print Post  
I did a barrel for a Norwegian Krag, left hand thread. 

Not a big deal, but everything is in plain sight. An internal thread would take some fiddling with tool geometry for clearance. Start with CAD and tweak if necessary. 

If you haven't, get a look at the book on making the '03 Springfield. Milling cutter, inclined at the helix angle. The receiver fixtured, rotated and fed by a screw.

A thread relief of some sort is required. The '03 a pocket done with a keyseat cutter. On a lathe, a lot more would be needed.

CNC would require a 5 axis machine.

IP Logged

idjeffp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jun 8th, 2024 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
I've got a few of Rodney's Sharps kits and I'm going to cut the square threads on my (1877 and WY Saddle gun) receivers as well... I made up one of GT's receiver holding fixtures and will do a practice cut or two on some round stock in the lathe until I'm satisfied with the internal cut / fit. I've got a threaded Axtell Sharps bbl I will use as a reference for fit. 
My old friend / mentor used to first cut a v-thread to square-thread depth to remove some of the excess material, then come in and finish cut the square-thread. I've never tried that yet though...
Should be fun Wink
Jeff P

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2024 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
When you get it perfected I might give you a little business... Reason John King gave me was he said it took way too much time in setup for only a few minutes of threading. He also stated he didn't "like" the way it turned out but it looked fine to me. I measured the thread depth and width then ground a tool bit and made a sample cut. Had to take just a tiny amount off the width. Second try and it was good so I threaded the barrel screwed it in place and so far so good. That was several years and rounds ago and no problems.

JMH

IP Logged

wesg
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Jun 9th, 2024 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
When I true bolt guns I ramp the thread out and cut the spindle. Never disengage the half nuts. Same with threading the barrel right to the shoulder with no relief groove. I c'bore the receiver instead. Remingtons don't even need that.

But I've got an Ace up my sleeve. My lathe, a Graziano 12S, has a threading brake. Flip it on and when you turn the spindle off an e-mag clutch engages and it just STOPS. I set up an indicator for my depth reference, with a couple turns to track for timing.

No real reason I couldn't do the same with a square thread. Roughing with a V is a good idea. An ACME would be better, but more critical on alignment for the finish cuts.

With the compound at 90° a light finish pass could be made on the 'inside' bearing face for a better finish.

If I had to do a bunch, I might consider milling them ACME and making a couple taps to clean them up.

IP Logged

idjeffp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Jun 9th, 2024 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
wesg wrote on Jun 9th, 2024 at 2:13pm:
But I've got an Ace up my sleeve. My lathe, a Graziano 12S, has a threading brake. Flip it on and when you turn the spindle off an e-mag clutch engages and it just STOPS. I set up an indicator for my depth reference, with a couple turns to track for timing.

Thanks wesg for bringing this up... I have my lathe running on a Danfoss VFD and have been wanting to play with the rampdown / brake feature some more. I can add an external braking resistor if needed. 
JP

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2024 at 7:06am
Print Post  
wesg wrote on Jun 8th, 2024 at 11:54am:

If you haven't, get a look at the book on making the '03 Springfield.

wesg, do you have the title and author for the book you mentioned?

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Jun 10th, 2024 at 7:16am
Print Post  
LRF wrote on Jun 10th, 2024 at 7:06am:
wesg wrote on Jun 8th, 2024 at 11:54am:

If you haven't, get a look at the book on making the '03 Springfield.

wesg, do you have the title and author for the book you mentioned?

"Manufacture of the 1903 Springfield Service Rifle", Fred Colvin. Be prepared for sticker shock.

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jun 10th, 2024 at 8:20am
Print Post  
I have not done square threads on a receiver but have done many barrels. Usually for internal square threads I make a tap for what I need. This has worked for making parts for my old lathe and frame extensions for Winchester takedowns. The set-up for doing a receiver might be a bit of fun.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

wesg
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Jun 10th, 2024 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Plus 1 on sticker shock. I was in a good place re disposable income.

A thru hole like a takedown would go better with a bit of back taper. Whatever mine was for, it was tight all the way in, and on occasion a tooth would chip backing it out. A trip to the bench grinder freshened that up. It did the job, and wasn't quite as ugly as I feared it might be.

Gun, old car or motorcycle? Maybe wasn't even a square thread, just some oddball I wasn't gonna pay several hundred bucks for a custom. The M22x.5 was $250. And due to the thin wall, wire EDM blanks, I wound up single pointing them anyway Sad

IP Logged

jk16
Participating Member

Reply #13 - Jun 10th, 2024 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
John Taylor wrote on Jun 7th, 2024 at 2:07pm:

That's great news, John! 

I am glad you made the move to Idaho successfully and are up and running. Smiley

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jun 10th, 2024 at 6:12pm
Print Post  

“Manufacture of the 1903 Springfield Service Rifle", Fred Colvin. Be prepared for sticker shock. “

Don’t know if you guys use Book Finder. They have multiple copies listed. Original very expensive but the Wolfe Publishing soft cover reprint is about 100 bucks. Watch out though some are reprints and priced like originals 

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint