Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Weight sorting cast bullets (Read 1149 times)
RDBallard

Re: Weight sorting cast bullets
Reply #15 - Jun 4th, 2024 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
I separate by weight and always figured the light ones might have  voids but have actually shot some of my smallest groups with the light ones. Go figure

IP Logged

RJ-35-40

Re: Weight sorting cast bullets
Reply #16 - Jun 11th, 2024 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
SSDave.

This question is about bullet design and not weight.
Would you mind sharing what cartridge you shoot there out of. and the design. Looks like a NASA inspired design with a single grease g

I saw several at what I thought were weights in the 358 grain range 

'
'[quote author=565641445340250 link=1717463913/0#0 date=1717463913]I'm a weight sorter.  I confess.  I know many feel like it's a waste of time, but to me it's part of the quality control of cast bullet production.

I cast 3 lots of about 100 to 125 bullets.  The first lot was with lead that had been in my lead pot for some time, and the other two were with a fresh lot of metal.  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I weight sorted the second two lots, and got this nice bell shaped distribution, with a few light and a few heavy thrown out to the back of the sort.  I sorted out 100 match bullets, varying + - .2 grains from the mean of 358.2 grains.  In the weighing process, I discarded two visually defective bullets, one had a fin, and one had a rounded base from not quite a full fill out.

I then set out sighters, from those that varied by .2 grains outside that range.

The remainder are set aside for practice or "desperation" ammo.

The first lot of bullets were heavier because of different alloy.  I sorted them, again into a nice bell curve, and set aside the middle of the curve for match bulelts.  

all the remaining bullets without visible defects get lumped together to shoot as practice ammo, or if I get desperate for bullets and don't have time to cast.

I like the weighting process, I weigh in order cast and I can see how the weight changes from start to finish, and where I set the mold down and skim.  I preheat my mold on a hotplate to about 400 to 450 degrees, so the first bullet comes out good, no mold startup.  But, the weight bounces a few grains at first, until I get  good rhythm going.   

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint