Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) low wall rebarrel question (Read 1492 times)
nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

low wall rebarrel question
May 28th, 2024 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
I have been offered a center fire low wall. The barrel is not in the best of shape inside, its a 38 wcf. I was wondering if a green mountain octagon barrel, with a taper of Breech to Muzzle OD .850-.710, would be big enough or the right size to have fitted to a low wall?
TIA
Sam

IP Logged

guilty gil
Participating Member

Re: low wall rebarrel question
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2024 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
Gm site says they have a 1" round stub.⁹dehass says low walls have a.825x16tpi shanl, so if you leave a tulip there should be no problem

IP Logged

WVsmoke
Participating Member

Reply #2 - May 28th, 2024 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Nuke,
     There are two different size low walls out there.  Original Low walls and Winder Musket low walls that started life as a high wall and then were cut down for the winder contract.  The winder low walls have the larger barrel stub.

Allan

IP Logged

guilty gil
Participating Member

Reply #3 - May 28th, 2024 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Another option would be a 38 liner? I have done 22 liners, i don't know external size of 38 caliber liners or your barrel dianeter but it's a thought.

IP Logged

guilty gil
Participating Member

Reply #4 - May 28th, 2024 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Were there an winders made in 38 wcf? I assumed small shank  but i guess someone in the past could have replaced th.e barrel

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - May 28th, 2024 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
I didn't know about the Winder buy my guess is this isn't a winder. Most likely all original low wall. The thought of a liner has crossed my mind. A lot will depend on the condition of the exterior of the barrel. If the outside is in good shape a liner may be the better way to go. I will know for sure in a few weeks or so when I get to take a look at it. 
Another thought for it was to have it converted to .22 rf. I did look and see that blocks are available but not sure if I want to sink that much money into it. So we shall see. 
Thanks for the info I do appreciate it.
Sam

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 28th, 2024 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
The 38 WCF is a 40 caliber, not a 38 caliber. a 3/8" dia liner will not fit.

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - May 29th, 2024 at 8:11am
Print Post  
I did go to track of the wolf and look at liners, they do come in 2 diameters, .800 and .625. They are a lot faster twist, 18" than the GM barrel is. I  the GM is a 40" twist. I don't understand why so much difference and don't know if it would really make that much difference since the bullet weight selection is rather small. 
I guess just wait and see what it looks like and make a decision from there.  My guess the difference in price between a liner install and a new barrel would be minimal.  So exterior condition would be the big factor in the long run.
Sam

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #8 - May 30th, 2024 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Grn Mtn used to sell a tapered octagon blank they called their "small lever action" profile, designed to be used on pistol caliber lever action rifles.  It sounds like you have the current version of this.
Charlie Dell fitted one of these in 25 caliber to a low wall action for me many years ago and took advantage of the round part on the end of the octagon blank to thread and chamber, leaving a Ballard style tulip.  this worked well and really looks nice.  Cool
Forge

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - May 30th, 2024 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Ty GF, yes that is what I had looked at, they also have a 1.06" turned blank. That bland would give me an octagon with about .975 across the flats.  But thats an extra $200 plus to get milled down. I do suppose I could just use the round barrel as it is. 
For right now I am kind of in the gathering information state, I will know more when I get it in my sticky little hands and get a good look at what all it needs. 
Another though is to get a new breach block, firing pin and extractor and have it barreled with the round barrel in .22 rf. Stash the original parts away then sell it as a complete package somewhere down the road. 
Time will tell I guess. I will let everyone know if and when it becomes a new member of the household.
Sam

IP Logged

JeffG
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Jun 4th, 2024 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
tag for interest in further discussions,

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jun 7th, 2024 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
The original rifle barrel in 38-40 was 1 in 40 twist. The liners are in the pistol twist. I talked to Mike at TJ's several years back about this and he said he didn't have the proper tooling to do the slower twist. There is a 44-40 liner with 1 in 24 twist. Both liners come in 9/16"OD and 5/8" OD. 
Just checked the price of a GM barrel, not bad, but then I get the dealer discount.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Jun 7th, 2024 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
John even with out the dealer discount the GM barrels are not a bad price.  I kind of thought that the origional barrel twist was 40 or so and with that short of a bullet my guess is that they will shoot just fine.   
I have been kind of looking around and tossing some numbers around to try to figure what might be better, reline, re-barrel, or just do a total rebuild to .22 rf and put the original parts back so if the next owner wants to restore to original they can.  I will know a lot more when I get to take a look at it and go from there. 
Sam

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jun 7th, 2024 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Green_Frog wrote on May 30th, 2024 at 1:49pm:
Grn Mtn used to sell a tapered octagon blank they called their "small lever action" profile, designed to be used on pistol caliber lever action rifles.  It sounds like you have the current version of this.
Charlie Dell fitted one of these in 25 caliber to a low wall action for me many years ago and took advantage of the round part on the end of the octagon blank to thread and chamber, leaving a Ballard style tulip.  this worked well and really looks nice.  Cool
Forge

I have one of those Green Mountain barrels in 44 caliber that is brand new. I was going to put it on an 1892 Winchester, but then lucked into finding a new old stock 38-40 barrel that I used. If interested PM me.

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Jun 16th, 2024 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Well the low wall I had been offered followed me home yesterday. The barrel is ruff on the inside but not overly bad, I feel it could be shot with out any problems. Over all its not in bad shape, everything feels tight. No real finish on the action or parts, the barrel is a very nice even brown. 
The rear sight is missing and the but plate screw on the top of the stock has been replaced, and really doesn't look good. 
Can any one give me a good guess on  its age, the S/N is 82XXX.   
The barrel has a #1 stamped just infront of the forend, on the bottom of the barrel. So I am guessing its a #1 weight barrel and thus most likely a small shank. It just hard to get into measure things with out taking it all apart. The barrel is about .870 across the flats at the action. 
TIA
Sam

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint