Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Sharps Conversion Question (Read 650 times)
Chris W

Sharps Conversion Question
May 28th, 2024 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Excuse my ignorance if this is felt to be a dumb question but how hard is it, or would it be, to turn a percussion sharps receiver into a center fire rifle. I'd like to know what is involved in doing so as I know the factory and old smiths use to do it. Thanks for the education! 
Chris Wilson

IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Re: Sharps Conversion Question
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2024 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
The short list:
receiver needs: firing pin camming slot, extractor slot, 
Lever mod for extractor
extractor
complete Centerfire breech block
Hammer modifications

All need polishing and recasing.

In short save it as a percussion action and get a converted carbine , it would be cheaper (or trade someone).

Charles

GTalk  
IP Logged

Chris W

Reply #2 - May 29th, 2024 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Thanks Charles, yes thats a lot more involved than I want to tackle. I don't have one but I've seen some that were fairly cheap due to condition, so was wondering how hard it would be to convert it and save the receiver when barrel and wood aren't worth keeping, for a shooter anyway. 
I have been watching for a conversion but haven't found what I"m wanting yet. Thanks
Chris

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2024 at 5:59am
Print Post  
I acquired a Shiloh Military rifle in 54 caliber a few years back for a real good price. I was able to get a Lothar Walther to profile a barrel in 45 caliber for me to match the the 54 barrel and then I sent the action and barrel to Rich at Schuetzen Gun Company for a conversion. He did a great job but did not add the projection on the lever so I had to send it back when I discovered loading the rifle required three-hands. The gun shot phenomenally well and I was very pleased with it until another project came up and I needed the funds for financing. 

I could have bought another rifle cheaper but I wanted a "conversion" with a big, welded-up percussion hammer and percussion style receiver profile.

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

Chris W

Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2024 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
sounds like a neat project you had there, I was hoping it would be as simple as a new barrel and adding a centerfire block, lever and extractor and getting it to fit. If it was I'd tackle it but not wanting to have to send parts off to someone to make it all work for me. Thanks for replying, got any pics of the rifle you had done, would love to see it. Thanks
Chris Wilson

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2024 at 10:57am
Print Post  
The extractor cut was a little fun when I did one Had to make up the tooling to do the job.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint