Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Old style wooden .22 RF shell & box holder (Read 2478 times)
s.s.jeff

Re: Old style wooden .22 RF shell & box holder
Reply #30 - Jun 13th, 2024 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Having something shipped from Indiana to Utah and then hand delivered for $15 sounds like the best deal in town.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Jun 13th, 2024 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Yes, and I think the postal service is under appreciated.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Jun 13th, 2024 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Fact is there are only 3 carriers in the US  . US Post office United Parcel and Fed Ex. On the delivery side  USPS by far the best, employees long term well paid with benefits and theft is aggressively prosecuted. UPS mostly Union employees also responsible people, company trucks too, . FedEx, except the secure documents service, mostly low paid contractors, no benefits poor handling an issue .

Long haul,  contractors handle most parcel freight. None own Railroad’s USPS no airplanes Fed Ex many and UPS some airplanes, over the road trucks are nearly all contractor Major damage out of the carriers hands most times.

Distribution centers were the freight is sorted mix of contracted and owned. USPS going to the central DC model other two use with notable failures start up.  Sandston Virginia USPS DC near me is being investigated by Congress due poor service. All the modern DC’s are largely mechanized and can chew up packages off conveyors and lift trucks..

So the fact is shipping like ASSRA members do only real protection we have is good packing. USPS pays loss claims promptly. Others don’t . Nobody pays for concealed damage, package outside not damaged no payment. Large companies often protect themselves with private blanket coverage. Or self insure monitoring damage losses vs cost of insurance. Often the best choice inexpensive goods.

This from 49 years with three Ocean Carriers that have damaged about anything you could imagine, and recently consulting for merchants and carriers.  You would think risk of ocean transport was our largest issue. We did loose one ship to collision and fire another collision and sinking & occasional heavy weather damage were the ship survived . 

Largest damage issue has always been inadequate  packing. Early was on the pier sorting out cargo problems after discharge or rejecting before loading. Later worked improving carriage certain important cargos with better packing suggestions and handling by our contracted stevedores and terminals. Last in management with “commercial settlement authority” override our claims department when it made business sense . Mostly  with “will pay let’s figure out how to keep it from happening again” Sometimes raising freight rates to the point problem cargoes went to other carriers.

Boats shipping advise,  pack well, insure against loss that you don’t want, or can’t afford  to assume. There are no other options.

Boats 

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Jun 13th, 2024 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Thanks for an inside opinion and knowledge boats. On some purchases, I have asked for and received extra care in packing and that I was willing to pay extra for that service, and insurance if deemed necessary.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #34 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 9:37am
Print Post  
Boats you got one thing wrong. USPS does not pay claims promptly. And not only do they not pay promptly, but they're just like the other two at trying not to pay at all!
I had a Ballard rifle stolen during a USPS shipment, and would think that would be a cut and dried quick payment. But after two denials, I finally had to contact my congressman's office to get help. Once they got involved USPS paid the claim. It took nearly two months to get it worked out, and once they finally gave in and paid the check did come soon after that.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

kensmachine
Oldtimer

Reply #35 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 10:07am
Print Post  
NPR had a article about the USPS about a mouth back that was inhteresting. boxes sitting under under convers for years, things getting shipped  back and fort 3&4 times one I have watched on tracking more than one time. Ken

IP Logged

jdsingleshot
Participating Member

Reply #36 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Or, you can build whatever you want...

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #37 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 11:03am
Print Post  
kensmachine wrote on Jun 14th, 2024 at 10:07am:
NPR had a article about the USPS about a mouth back that was inhteresting. boxes sitting under under convers for years, things getting shipped  back and fort 3&4 times one I have watched on tracking more than one time. Ken

I've had three packages that were shipped to me and once they hit town were then sent clear across the US, or to another distribution center, and then finally found their way back here.
I sent an old gun banner to a guy in Pennsylvania via USPS some years back and it showed delivered, but he said he never got it, or an attempted delivery notice. It simply disappeared and USPS paid my insurance claim. Then almost a year to date it arrived back to me marked "undeliverable". I called the guy and asked if he still wanted it, and he told me to send it to his job as he didn't trust USPS to lose it again! It made it fine the 2nd time.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
When one considers the volume of mail sent daily, I would think the number of problems encountered would be astronomical, but that has not been my experience. There have been a few packages that took a scenic tour of the western United States, but always found their way to the intended location. Because of my good experience with the Postal Service, I will continue to use and recommend them when asked. I might add, I am not compensated for my opinion, but would consider donations!

rkba2nd

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Reply #39 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
I’ve built my share of gun cases mostly Bullesye Range boxes none of which I’d call worth the effort economically. If a buyer is capable, finishing off the rifle box interior layout is a smart move. Too many times I had guys ask me to reconfigure the partitions and compartments but my boxes were always glued black or green wool felt lined so I declined.

While mentioning felt let me say wool felt is the only material to use. Using closed cell urethane foams or vinyl as liners is asking for trouble. First off plastics such as urethanes or vinyl are both susceptible to decomposition from a variety of chemical products.  Like most consumer grade plastics they can break down from solvents including bore and gun cleaners, even preservative surface products. Plus all plastics off-gas over time leaving a chemical residue on your guns. This condition is worse in enclosed boxes. Wool felt does not decompose chemically and in fact has been found to last 100 years plus. Wool felt ! Not synthetic felt. 

Food for thought
Rick

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #40 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
jdsingleshot wrote on Jun 14th, 2024 at 10:29am:
Or, you can build whatever you want...

I've built a few rifle cases, and the cost of materials, and time involved just isn't worth it to me. 
What I've done on a half dozen cases is to find old gun cases at our local collector gun show that are trashed inside. Often not even any lining left, and that's my favorite choice to buy. They have the right old style look, and just building out interiors is something that takes very little material, and I can do in a few evenings of work.
But it's been a very long time since anyone has brought in a good candidate to sell, so I may have exhausted my local market.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Had a Smith & Wesson M 41 target pistol with 2 barrels . Sold the gun and one barrel last year local consignment. Listed the 2nd barrel on EBay priced reasonably 300 dollars, nice fellow in Pennsylvania bought it.

Shipped priority did not take the extra insurance, package goes to Atlanta & disappears. Refunded his payment right away. Had to wait until tracing effort exhausted, month or so then filled a claim . USPS paid the standard priority claim 100 dollars month later.

That’s not so bad my view. You could say I should have taken the extra insurance. As a rule only insure against looses I can’t afford to assume. Pay a whole lot annually for essential insurance medical home auto and boat, umbrella liability policy too. Any of those could break the bank.

Losing 200 on a barrel stings but not disabling. Avoiding extra insurance fees small one off’s saves money most times. Most overpriced. This was my first USPO loss 

Boats

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Reply #42 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Wool felt.  Good suppliers sell it raw or with peel and stick. Tongue suppressors and carved to work hard corners or whatever you need. Razor knives to cut corner darts. Take your time and push fit into hard corners. Take your time, slower is better since unlike stretchy vinyls real wool felt requires fitting. It’s worth the time

Rick

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #43 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
I have a cheap set of Harbor Freight plastic trim tools for automotive fastener removal. They work amazingly to tuck felt into tight corners when covering divider panels in cases.

IP Logged

FourBird
Participating Member

Reply #44 - Jun 22nd, 2024 at 9:01am
Print Post  
There's a Freeland on Ebay currently at 31.00 plus shipping.

Limit Politicians to two terms:  Office immediately followed by Prison (life w/out parole).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint