Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Old style wooden .22 RF shell & box holder (Read 2421 times)
waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Old style wooden .22 RF shell & box holder
May 26th, 2024 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
I'm looking for an old-type .22 RF shell & box holder for prone or bench shooting. The classic wood one with a hinged top and latch to hold the top shut is preferred. Lots of holes for cartridges on either side of the box.  

Can anybody help me? Somebody stole mine. Does anybody still make these things?

I tried Freeland's.  They have one listed, but it's not in stock.  

I bought one of the German kind as a replacement.  It works, but not nearly as well.

I'm placing this here because it's very important to me.  If I put it in Buy & Sell, it will probably be overlooked.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Old style wooden .22 RF shell & box holder
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2024 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Darn it, I wish you had posted this sooner! I have a couple original Freeland boxes, but also had two nicely made copies I sold at the Greeley show for $15 each. 
But good news is Hampel's Woodland Products sells nice one cheap also that are perfect copy of Freeland's. $20 for .22Short, and $22 for .22LR.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2024 at 7:01pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - May 26th, 2024 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Easily made per the Freeland’s design but as a business proposition I can’t fathom jigging up for less than a 100 count. This is something that only fits for a hobbyist shop.  Most folks can’t understand the economics of short runs, the cost of decent wood and labor costs for something like this. I once had a short run of pet urns that sold okay but never came close to my shop overhead costs. Same with custom Bullseye shooter boxes. You need to find a good woodworker looking for projects to keep him busy. Never could understand how Cal Graf could make it work. Smarter than me or much less overhead ?

Good luck
Rick

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #3 - May 26th, 2024 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Here's an original one. Kind of pricey compared to the one Vall posted a link to.

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 26th, 2024 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Or you can get one from Brad Swenson (b-swenson@sbcglobal.net)

Wayne
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2024 at 8:15pm by texasmac »  

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 26th, 2024 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Another high-end option from Brad Swenson (b-swenson@sbcglobal.net).

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - May 26th, 2024 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
So TexMac what kind of price range is Swenson asking for his work ? Curious to see what the market supports. Of course quantity will be a number that can’t be answered 

Rick

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 26th, 2024 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Those boxes are neat. Sure beats those little buggers rolling around loose on your bench...

JMH

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #8 - May 27th, 2024 at 10:36am
Print Post  
I doubt anyone could match Hampel's Woodland for price and quality. I believe Hampels does theirs on a CNC so they can whip them out pretty inexpensively. 
I have a couple of their display cases and I sure wouldn't spend the time and money to build them as cheap as theirs are, and as nice as they are.

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - May 27th, 2024 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
I’m sure you’re right about that type of shop and pricing structure. I walked away from three and four axis  routers years ago instead deciding to train and put people to work. My last two shops went from modern Italian machinery to old top quality American made machines ( Porter,Oliver,Tannewitz, Oakley, Fay & Egan,etc ) machines that only needed paint, bearings and tooling to run another fifty years. But they required good operators who I made sure never spent all their time on one or two machines but learned the entire shop process. I was an incubator. 

Overhead was tricky since good quality timber is pretty scarce at reasonable prices and hunting it down time consuming and then constant insurance squabbles. My last real shop was a good group of six to eight men and women. Contrary to what I was told we structured the books to profit sharing. Almost overnight the crew quit looking at the clock and when we were up against it making an order date they’d show up Saturdays to get it done. Everything got better, morale,efficiency quality. You’ll never see that in larger CNC shops. The other thing you don’t see in most CCN router shops is a good defect sorting man who runs the cut off saw to reduce waste and knowing his crew isn’t afraid of grain anomalies that yield beauty but explode in the path of a 20k rpm router bit. Made less enjoyed it more. 

Rick

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 27th, 2024 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
burntwater wrote on May 26th, 2024 at 8:28pm:
So TexMac what kind of price range is Swenson asking for his work ? Curious to see what the market supports. Of course quantity will be a number that can’t be answered 
Rick

Rick,

The last price I'm aware of for the small box is $50.  No idea what Brad gets for the larger one.

Wayne

IP Logged

watchthewind
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - May 27th, 2024 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
The Hampels box is hard to beat. If you call and speak with him, he is willing to do custom work. I'm very happy with mine and have used them as gifts/prizes.

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - May 27th, 2024 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Thanks Wayne. Looks like a race to the bottom with IKEA by a neck rounding and coming into the final stretch with ‘ Miss Skills ‘ falling back and ‘ To The Dump ‘ getting her stride. 

Very nice boxes really but nicer designs. Just can’t fathom with cost of wood and other materials plus labor how they do it regardless of machining. 

Rick
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2024 at 2:59pm by burntwater »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #13 - May 27th, 2024 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
watchthewind wrote on May 27th, 2024 at 2:41pm:
The Hampels box is hard to beat. If you call and speak with him, he is willing to do custom work. I'm very happy with mine and have used them as gifts/prizes.

They are a small business, not some big time company with lots of employees. But extremely nice to deal with, and unless it's a custom build they ship the next work day after ordering. I think they've got a niche they fill and by making specific sizes they're able to keep prices low.
I'm going to contact them again soon to ask about a custom size rifle case that will be unfinished inside so I can build it out for a rifle and shooting kit.

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 30th, 2024 at 5:22am
Print Post  
texasmac wrote on May 26th, 2024 at 8:03pm:
Or you can get one from Brad Swenson (b-swenson@sbcglobal.net)

Wayne

Nice box but looks hard to Transport 100rds Cool

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint