Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Cleaning scope internals (Read 657 times)
cheatin_charlie
Senior Forum Member

Cleaning scope internals
May 15th, 2024 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
I have a couple 3/4" scope that have foggy lenses.  Can anybody  give me tips or where online some information on how dis and reassemble one.  By the way they both are Wallensak style scopes.  Thanks Charlie

IP Logged

Oldbee

Re: Cleaning scope internals
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2024 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
I have not used them!
Kind of expensive!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Seabee's, Danang, Chu Lai, Khe Sanh, 1966 -1968

IP Logged

Andover Arms
Participating Member

Reply #2 - May 16th, 2024 at 6:40am
Print Post  
I have dealt with vintage rifle scopes company before (not on scope cleaning). They seemed very professional to me. They didn't work on Sidle scopes at the time so not sure they would be set up tp do Wollensak. Most Weaver, Redfield 3200 it seemed. There is/was Parsons scope service (google it). I hope they are still in business because I still have a couple Sidle's to do. I'm guessing you want info to do it yourself but easy to break crosshairs or strip threads.

IP Logged

cheatin_charlie
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - May 16th, 2024 at 11:42am
Print Post  
I went ahead and bit the bullet and took them both apart and cleaned the lenses.  The only thing I needed to make was a spanner wrench take the lock ring out.  They were all single lenses and cleaned up easy.  There were spacers that located the lenses from each other.  I did not have to touch the cross hairs, there may have been one more lens inside the cross hair cell but cleaning all the rest of them took care of what I wanted to do.  I only hesitated working on them because fear of the unknown.  Good shooting Charlie

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #4 - May 16th, 2024 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
I've cleaned a bunch of those little scopes, but you need to be very careful with the lenses 'cause the old glass lenses are brittle and will crack and chip very easily. Sounds like you did well.  Wink
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2024 at 3:21pm by Schutzenbob »  

IP Logged

RDBallard

Reply #5 - May 16th, 2024 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
I did a Sidle one time. Very carefully took it apart and cleaned everything with rubbing alcohol and put back together. That was the clearest brightest scope I have ever looked through. I was very impressed with that scope.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint