Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Remington relic? (Read 566 times)
oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Remington relic?
May 12th, 2024 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
I have a loose spot in a # 1  Rolling Block barrel  just before the octagon goes to round. I bought a cheap  bore scope to see what was going on.  Here's what i found.  The first photo is a straight on view and I can see 2 sets of lines in the grooves.  The second is  a side view close up one if the grooves.  There is nothing noticeable on the exterior of the barrel  and the lines/scratches/marks don't scribe the lands , so I don't thing it's a "crack" in the barrel.  I'm guessing it is a relic left over from rifling the barrel.  I can't see any change in width, but can feel it with a cleaning patch. All of my shooting so far has been brass forming and velocity testing , not with accuracy, but it's seems to be fairly accurate.   Has any one else seen this? and what do you think was the cause? 

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Re: Remington relic?
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2024 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Looks like an inclusion in the steel to me.

IP Logged

Todd
Participating Member

Reply #2 - May 12th, 2024 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
Someone stuck a bullet at some point and had trouble pounding it out?
Todd

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2024 at 9:36am
Print Post  
I wouldn't worry too much about it. A lot of guns with barrels that are not in the best of shape still shoot rather well. If your accuracy is acceptable then I would keep aware of it but still shoot it. Mind you I wouldn't get too carried away with loading for it. My two cents...

JMH

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint