Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic MVA Winchester single set-triggers (Read 682 times)
CW
Senior Forum Member

MVA Winchester single set-triggers
May 6th, 2024 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
I have two 1885's, one a low wall and the other a high wall. Both single triggers, and I can't get the triggers light enough to be good offhand. Great prone, but just not as light as my other 1885's and the offhand scores show it.

MVA has single set trigger parts. Assuming you have experience with the MVA SST trigger, can I order the correct parts and install them? And if so, what might be the issues and will they work with the original lower tangs I have now?   

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: MVA Winchester single set-triggers
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2024 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
You need more than a trigger alone.  You will need a hammer with a fly and a sear with a groove in it where the fly rides.  Or you can grind off the 1/2 cock notch.  You can install the lower tang parts in your existing one.  You need a set trigger, trigger catch, trigger catch spring and a stiffer knockoff spring.  I have installed the MVA parts in a couple of walls with little modification.  One needed the trigger sanded to slightly reduce its width to move freely and the hole for the catch spring was not deep enough for the provided spring.  I could have easily deepened the hole, but I had a shorter spring that works fine.  The MVA hammers they sell have a provision for a fly.  They sell a fly and pin as separate items.  The hammer is correct for a low wall, but short for a high wall but will work OK, just doesn't look right. 
I just ordered a couple of set triggers last week.  My Winder musket came with a fly in the hammer and a correct sear, so I figure I might as well install the rest of the parts.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #2 - May 6th, 2024 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
My 22 offhand rifle began life as a low wall  Winder Musket, and as bpjack said, it came with the proper sear and the hammer with fly.  It also had the heavier knock off spring, so I added the modified trigger with its adjustment screw, trigger catch and spring, and the extra pin (IIRC) and that was all that was needed.  When it is set properly it has a release nearly as light as my Ben Rice DSTs on my high wall.  The only problem I have with it is that the setting screw is a little loose and has a tendency to "walk" out of adjustment until the trigger stops working at all.  I think a judicious application of red thread lock should take care of it, if I ever get a round tuit.  Roll Eyes
Froggie

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2024 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
CW wrote on May 6th, 2024 at 12:43pm:
what might be the issues and will they work with the original lower tangs I have now?  

The biggest issue I had was the knockoff springs. They are the hardest and touchiest part of the single set trigger and those from MVA and as well as C Sharps, never seem to be quite right and needed a lot of tweaking just to get them to work. I wish the original Ballard Rifle company in Cody was still around and we're making parts for the high wall. I put three sets of their wide spaced double set triggers in my rifles and they were almost near perfect. It's much easier to shoot the offhand when you can have the rifle in position and then just set the back trigger and you're ready to shoot. Much easier than having the rifle in the down position setting the trigger and then bringing it up to your shoulder and shooting. I have not had a set of MVA wide space triggers and can't speak for their quality but I would assume it's pretty good from their other stuff I've seen.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2024 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
I agree with Old-Win on the knockoff springs.  You may have to tweak their bend and tension (thinning, etc) there needs to be a balance between the knockoff spring and the sear spring so that the knockoff is not too 'high' holding the sear from engaging the full cock notch. The knockoff needs to be strong enough to trip the sear.  I have used weaker sear springs to balance things properly.

Green_Frog.  The set trigger screw backed off slowly during the last 5 shots ay my last CBA match.  I could still fire, but the trigger pull was terrible by the last shot.  Pushing the trigger forward still resulted in a click, but things got worse.  With the 10 min time limit for the target, I could not fix it during the relay.  To top things off, my seater push rod came unscrewed as well.  Both are Loctited in place now.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - May 8th, 2024 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Great info provided. Thanks!!!

About a month ago I called MVA. They helped me put together a list of parts needed to convert my single trigger rifles but of course they could not offer advice or trouble shooting on my specific rifles so your input is very helpful. Thanks again.

I have had a few calls into MVA this week to order parts and no return call back yet.  Hopefully they are too busy on machines making parts to call back. Maybe next week.

IP Logged

WVsmoke
Participating Member

Reply #6 - May 8th, 2024 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
CW,
      I may be late to help you, but I recently had Dan Zimmerman (DZ Arms) change my Low Wall single trigger to a single set trigger.  My Low Wall started life as a Winder Musket.  He did this work for $250.00 out the door….
I am thrilled with my Low Wall as the trigger was the last puzzle piece for a nice BPCR 22 rifle.
Allan Smiley

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - May 11th, 2024 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
That could be a good plan for the low wall. Dan did the barrel for me. He may have even asked me if I wanted a ss trigger at that time, can't remember. The high wall I am going to try to do here and soon.

thanks!

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - May 12th, 2024 at 6:55am
Print Post  
Green frog, you might want to think about using red Loctite, you may have to use heat too break it loose screwing up the temper of the trigger…try I small drop of green Loctite.
Cheers Richard

IP Logged

kensmachine
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - May 12th, 2024 at 9:39am
Print Post  
even better use the purple loctite witch is made just for this

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint