Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic NRA sanctioned matches (Read 230 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

NRA sanctioned matches
May 5th, 2024 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
I have been re-reading my older journals and came across "mistakes were made" by our editor.  Back in the early 1980's, High power silhouette matches were being held in Alma, Mi.  They decided to add .22 rim fire rifle matches.  The only rifle I had at the time was an Australian cadet re-barred with a Remington Match-Master barrel, with a non- click appature sight mounted on reciever, and  blade front.  A med. weight sporter with shotgun butt.
    I made up an elevation chart based on number of turns up from 25 yd. zero.
    Went to first match..knocked down a few rams...and I was hooked!
The targets used were the .22 handgun Silhouette  chicken at 25yd., pig at 50yd., turkey at 75yd. and ram at 100yd.  all offhand of course.
    Targets were a challenge...but not so hard as to be thought impossible with irons.
     Thought I had found my new game..and practised every chance I had looking forward to the next month''s match.
    Then a week or so before match, I get a letter stating all further matches cancelled due to NRA stating targets were not official. 
Club had to purchase or make the tiny legal NRA approved targets.
    These smaller targets are designed for scope use..I tried shooting the paper printed rams at 100yds, and couldn,t see them with irons...and 26 year old eyes!  I didn't want to use scope for offhand..and still prefer irons.
   It seems sometimes the shooting fraternity are our own worst enemys.  With all the anti''s out there....it seems to me we could loosen up on some of the rules.  I still like the idea of .22 handgun targets for offhand..especially for getting the youngsters involved...remember if it's not fun and too difficult, their back to the internet.
     Awhile back I made up a bunch of Buffalo silhouette targets..about 3"×4".  The idea was to set these out at some unknown distances, using a single shot .22 and cross sticks and see how many one could knock over in so much time..unlimited # of shots..just time constraint..I bet the kids would go nuts over this...before I could give it a try..Club ruled no steel knock down targets allowed...Arggh!  Oh well..perhaps another location..anyone know of abandoned gravel pits in Mi.?

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: NRA sanctioned matches
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2024 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Our range is unmanned, which I like. There are a few bad apples who like to destroy stuff for their perverted pleasure.  Rules state only paper targets or AR500 steel inside the large truck tires at 100 yds or hanging from the 4' wide frame at 200.  Clay targets are also allowed.  They have tried leaving steel targets up but the idiots with armor piercing ammo like to punch holes in them.  I have found a fun challenge for 200 yd bench rest that uses Daisy Shatterblast 2" clay disks hot glued to bamboo skewers.  More challenging than a standard clay target.

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Re: NRA sanctioned matches
Reply #2 - May 5th, 2024 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
I used to shoot NRA smallbore silhouette back in the day with a BSA M12 w/original sights. I selected globe front sight inserts that matched the "official sized" targets and did quite well as an AA-class shooter (edging into AAA before I lost interest and moved on). Whupping up on the other guys mainly armed with expensive Anschutz's with fancy optics didn't make me particularly popular. At the end of the day, as in all shooting sports, constant practice was the leveler of the playing field.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint