Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Spotting Scope ? (Read 1604 times)
RayH
Oldtimer

ASSRA # 10880

Spotting Scope ?
May 4th, 2024 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Does anyone have a recommendation for a modestly priced (cheap) spotting scope for spotting point of impact of .22cal at 200 yards?

In GOD We Trust

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Spotting Scope ?
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2024 at 9:16am
Print Post  
New, Vortex Razor is probably the best value and can be found used for very reasonable pricing. fluoride type coatings make a big improvement on seeing those small holes. JMO

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2024 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
bnice wrote on May 4th, 2024 at 9:16am:
New, Vortex Razor is probably the best value and can be found used for very reasonable pricing. fluoride type coatings make a big improvement on seeing those small holes. JMO

I would agree but those little holes are a challenge, with any scope.

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2024 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
The 100mm Unertl is not reasonably priced, but thanks for letting him know you have one, same goes for your buddies Kowa.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

JHand
Participating Member

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2024 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
I picked up a vortex razor 20-60x for $500 on eBay and bought a decent tripod that works for standing or bench (and supposedly prone, but haven't tried it) off Amazon for $75ish.

Not cheap, but not crazy. My dad bought a new diamondback for about $250 and it works great too. I just wanted the ability to put a new eyepiece on it if I wanted to use it for silhouette or PRS

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2024 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
I've purchased several really good quality spotting scopes used, and never paid over $100 yet. I have a Kowa 20x that cost me $10 at a gun show, and is a wonderful scope, but not good for spotting .22 holes in the black.
I have another Kowa 60x that came from our local gun show and cost me $95 with it's original hard case. It's older, but the optics are as good as anything newer, and it easily lets me see .22 holes in any area of the targets.
Tough to say a newer brand that will be as good as a high quality used scope, as like anything prices are much cheaper if one keeps an eye out for used instead of new.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - May 4th, 2024 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Pure and simple….garbage! Most of the high praise reviews are from birdwatchers…..my bad.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 4th, 2024 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
My Celestron Regal M2 65ED Spotting Scope is more than adequate for my needs. The only time I have had trouble spotting small holes at 200 yds is when the mirage is running high.  I snagged it off of eBay for a good price.  The is an issue with the rubberized coating on the body that was very tacky.  It took effort scraping and soaking in lighter fluid to remove it.

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 4th, 2024 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
More than glad to, I made my point.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - May 5th, 2024 at 8:58am
Print Post  
I have been using a Bushnell Legend HD, 20-60 x 80mm for a long time.  If you can find a decent used one ( they are discontinued ) it should do the trick.  If there isn't a bunch of mirage it'll see 22 holes at 200m.   

I've compared it to a couple of decent Kowa scopes and there didn't seem to be much difference.  Light mirage was maybe a little easier to pick up with the Kowas, but the difference was quite subtle.

Chris.

IP Logged

RayH
Oldtimer

ASSRA # 10880

Reply #10 - May 5th, 2024 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Thank you all for your helpful responses. My new scope will arrive in due course.

In GOD We Trust

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 5th, 2024 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Believe it or not but I've got an older Simmons 25x50 scope that is as clear as my Kowa. I can see 22 holes at 200 yds on most days. I think I paid about $50 for it years ago You can find them on ebay sometimes. The model is a 1209. None of the other models from Simmons are near as good.

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - May 5th, 2024 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
When I bought mine , a Nikon which is no longer made it was$500. The store let me set up several scopes at a time and compare their ability to see .22. Cal holes at 200 yds I brought my own assra target with .22 cal holes in it paced off 200 and about three hours later made my choice . There were several cheaper scopes with nice features which did not fare well in the 200yd .22 test at the time I did not consider $500 to be inexpensive but no sense in saving a little money if the scope won’t perform as needed  I believe most stores will let you do that if you ask worth a try

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - May 6th, 2024 at 7:10am
Print Post  
I have a 100 mm Unertl team too. It spots .22’s very well at 200 with its 24 mm eye piece. My outfit has the 15x & 24x missing the 32x It won’t spot .22’s at 200 under all conditions. Neither will other club members large objective Kowas .

At distance you are looking through air that’s like a bowl of soup. Sometimes it’s thick sometimes thin. Further complicated by sunlight variance bright to cloudy, direction too, illuminated from front side or back. Difficult conditions no scope will resolve .22 holes at 200 good condition many will, even low cost scopes. 

My opinion low cost options are used Kowas, the smaller objective models lot cheaper used than big ones. Like the older fixed power Leopold too, have had several, 20x60 mm Probably best resolver, but use a little 25x50 more due easy to pack. Leopold has the advantage lifetime guarantee. Used it twice a nice advantage. Vintage B&L 20x another quality bargain used.

New my opinion Kowa way to go. Largest objective lens aways best.  Buying used look for condition, Unertl or B&L goes bad expensive to repair, older Japanese brands parts can be difficult 

Boats

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 6th, 2024 at 7:20am
Print Post  
Note on birdwatcher recommended scopes. Some observe birds long time. Most quick look log it in a life list and move on. They like variable so they can get on target fast then dial in higher to identify. They want light and compact too. Resolution not a consideration with most watchers . 

Boats

IP Logged

portside

Reply #15 - May 7th, 2024 at 9:13am
Print Post  
I have tried everything from Bushnell, every Kowa, Swarovski, to various Unertl's including the 100mm team scope and more. When (in Indiana anyway) Mirage is really acting up I am totally convinced there is no such thing as a spotting scope that can see through it. The only two things that give any help at all is to back off the power on the scope and or use a red filter that will cause the .22 hole to slightly show up as black holes. If you can get some clouds to move in or possibly some wind can help other than that it becomes a guessing game.

IP Logged

JHand
Participating Member

Reply #16 - May 7th, 2024 at 9:40am
Print Post  
One thing that will help, especially on days with high mirage, is to shoot on splatter targets. Through your scope, the impacts aren't quite as clear, but you can see the holes, even with a cheap scope. My favorite ones are the ones below, each ring is 1", and each ring is a different color.

I still use large splatter targets for long range. I don't think any scope will let you clearly see even a .45 hole at 500m

25 and 75 Pack - 4 Bullseye - Reactive Splatter Targets - Tagboard and Adhesive Versions- GlowShot - Multi Color - Gun and Rifle Targets (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - May 8th, 2024 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Spotting strikes or holes then marking on a cork spotting board with push pins is very useful. Condition changes even a light breeze can reveal a strike that disappears when it goes flat. Marked you have a reference without reference to the scope, shoot a string able to get a profile point of impact, group size and more from the board. Also know were to look for a strike that fades in and out.

Boats

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - May 8th, 2024 at 9:34am
Print Post  
I have a buddy in Georgia  that has TWO Unertl 100 mm. He's older in his 80's?   I know he'd probably sell.Anyone interested drop me a PM for his phone #. Pete

Really like my older Swarovski AT-80

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - May 8th, 2024 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Skalkaho wrote on May 8th, 2024 at 9:34am:
I have a buddy in Georgia  that has TWO Unertl 100 mm. He's older in his 80's?   I know he'd probably sell.Anyone interested drop me a PM for his phone #. Pete

Really like my older Swarovski AT-80

I have to agree with Pete, about Swarovski 80mm scopes.

I've never owned one, because of the cost but, the club I founded has one that I have borrowed and I think it is the way to go, if you can justify the price.

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - May 8th, 2024 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Surprise that no one mentioned a target camera  - no mirage issues, and will consistently work. Also cheaper than a quality spotting scope.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - May 8th, 2024 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Friend of mine just bought the 99 mm objective Kowa Promar, 30/70 eyepiece. We used it last weeks practice session perfect visibility day . Real nice, it resolved 22 holes on the red ASSRA 200 target better than my Unertl 63mm x 24x  The 63 rarely fails  .32 holes .22 can be difficult . It’s my most often used due easy transport and performance. Kowa 99 just as portable.

Next time will bring the 100 mm team, see how it compares . I suspect the big Kowa is as good as you can get. Did not ask how much it cost .

Boats

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - May 8th, 2024 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Frank. I picked up the swaro for $900? give or take. Then sent it to Swarovski for a complete over haul. It came back with a new body,new eyepiece because the locking tab was broken off...cost...nothing! They even paid return shipping.   Thats why I like swarovski's !  there life time guarantee is unbelievable.......had the 20-60 eyepiece also

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #23 - May 8th, 2024 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
My Swarovski is even earlier than yours! They told me if it ever needed much more than cleaning they likely couldn't repair it if parts were needed. It's the first spotting scope the company ever offered.
Fortunately it's in perfect condition, and works extremely well.

IP Logged

Statesrights
Senior Forum Member

Reply #24 - May 8th, 2024 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
I’ve had the Unertl Team Scope and various Kowa’s. Currently a Prominar (Not the 100). Mirage wins every time. As suggested earlier, the red lens really works. You can see the holes, but not the scoring ring.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint