Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) WTB Original Creedmoor (Read 896 times)
critter68
Senior Forum Member
ASSRA Board Member

WTB Original Creedmoor
Apr 24th, 2024 at 7:18am
Print Post  
A bit of a long shot but just in case someone has one in the safe: Rolling Block No. 1 or preferably a Hepburn No. 3 original long range creedmoor rifle.  I intend to shoot the rifle so need an acceptable bore and mechanically sound rifle.  Prefer original working sights are with the rifle as well.  Long story short, I need a rifle that will make my buddy Alan jealous.  PM me with any candidates.  thanks
mike

ASSRA LIFE#294
NRA LIFE #194353342

IP Logged

KFW
Oldtimer

Re: WTB Original Creedmoor
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2024 at 9:23am
Print Post  
Check with Tony at the Original Sight Company. He is privy to some fine rifles coming out of collections.

IP Logged

rifleman

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2024 at 9:48am
Print Post  
Good morning,

I hope you can find what you are looking for in a Creedmoor. I have an original Hepburn that I lucked into a year ago but I would prefer not sell. Theres only 35 of them known. I do have and original Hepburn action with a checkered Creedmoor style buttstock. I was halfway to building a Creedmoor when I found my complete original. If you cant find what you are looking for I would part with my half done project. 

I also happened into the very first Ballard number 7 Creedmoor that Marlin ever made two weeks ago. Seller didnt know what he had. It needs some help but I am researching who yo do the work and how far to go with it. Good luck in your search.

Jordan

IP Logged

RDBallard

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2024 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
rifleman wrote on Apr 24th, 2024 at 9:48am:
Good morning,

I hope you can find what you are looking for in a Creedmoor. I have an original Hepburn that I lucked into a year ago but I would prefer not sell. Theres only 35 of them known. I do have and original Hepburn action with a checkered Creedmoor style buttstock. I was halfway to building a Creedmoor when I found my complete original. If you cant find what you are looking for I would part with my half done project. 

I also happened into the very first Ballard number 7 Creedmoor that Marlin ever made two weeks ago. Seller didnt know what he had. It needs some help but I am researching who yo do the work and how far to go with it. Good luck in your search.

Jordan

I have to admit that I'm pretty curious how you know that this is the very first Ballard #7 made as there are no records that exist.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2024 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
RDBallard wrote on Apr 24th, 2024 at 5:03pm:
Good morning,

Jordan

I have to admit that I'm pretty curious how you know that this is the very first Ballard #7 made as there are no records that exist.

I think what he means is it's the lowest serial number known, and might be one of the first #7 Long range built. Just my guess.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

RDBallard

Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2024 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Apr 24th, 2024 at 5:16pm:
RDBallard wrote on Apr 24th, 2024 at 5:03pm:
Good morning,

Jordan

I think what he means is it's the lowest serial number known, and might be one of the first #7 Long range built. Just my guess.

Maybe. Lots of guns out there that never made it through John Dutcher's hands to be included in his book. I used to own a 7A1 that fell right in between 2 listed in his book. He also said he only knew of 1 Ballard with 2 barrel's numbered to it but I used to own a Rigby with 2 barrel's numbered to it that everyone agreed was factory work. Of all of the Ballard's I've owned only one was listed in his book, with that one being the #6 that he started the chapter on #6's with. Lots of stuff out there that folks don't know of.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #6 - Apr 24th, 2024 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Not many guns are in John's wonderful book that are detailed as to serial numbers like his list of #7 and #7 A1 rifles are. So likely a huge number of Ballard rifles in all of our collections aren't in John's book, or at least not mentioned or pictured in it.
I also have a plain #7 in the 700 range and not listed in John's book. I know the one "rifleman" has is lower than the lowest mentioned in John's list.

IP Logged

critter68
Senior Forum Member
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #7 - Apr 25th, 2024 at 6:23am
Print Post  
I plan to talk to Tony at some point and thanks rifleman for the offer.  I'm still looking.
mike

ASSRA LIFE#294
NRA LIFE #194353342

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 25th, 2024 at 8:04am
Print Post  
What can one expect to pay in today's market for a nice Remington Creedmoor rifle? Roller or # 3? Are the # 3's more rare?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Apr 25th, 2024 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Old-Win wrote on Apr 25th, 2024 at 8:04am:
What can one expect to pay in today's market for a nice Remington Creedmoor rifle? Roller or # 3? Are the # 3's more rare?

A Hepburn Creedmoor is much rarer than a Roller, and I can't even make a guess what one would sell for since I never see them for sale, or sold.
A Rolling Block Creedmoor in nice average shape will usually go in the $7,000 range. As they get nicer the values can go up quickly. But as they get lesser condition values likewise also go down quickly.

IP Logged

rifleman

Reply #10 - Apr 25th, 2024 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Mike, even if Tony doesnt have a rifle to suit you, if he has any sights that are right I would latch on to them and hold them in case the rifle you find doesnt have the proper ones. You arent going to lose anything if you need to offload them later. Just my thought. I can tell you his windguage fronts he just finished are damned nice.

IP Logged

cdnrokon

Reply #11 - Apr 25th, 2024 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
there is one of both for sale on the Canadian side of the line and listed on (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
one is a roller in 44BN
and Hepburn in 40/90

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #12 - Apr 25th, 2024 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Back

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Apr 25th, 2024 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
I didn't know you could even own a gun in Canada...

JMH

IP Logged

cdnrokon

Reply #14 - Apr 25th, 2024 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
jhm wrote on Apr 25th, 2024 at 8:42pm:
I didn't know you could even own a gun in Canada

Grin ....good one

JMH

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2