Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Primer size --- Large or Small (Read 433 times)
RJ-35-40

Primer size --- Large or Small
Apr 21st, 2024 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
So it's time to go to the well of knowledge.

RE: Black Powder Ignition.

I've always had better luck shooting Large Pistol primers in a 45-70 using a news paper disk to reduce the brisance. Now that my 45-70 High Wall is slated to be either sold or to have a smaller cartridge barrel fitted or lined
I want to ask others about their experience.

Have any of you ever used a small rifle primer to accomplish the same thing...?

Lurking somewhere in the recesses of my bits and pieces lies a small supply of bushings that where made to receive a small primer in a large rifle primer pocket.

I get so little range time these days I find I have to live vicariously through the exploits of the members of this forum. 

One other possibility is to use the 30-American parent case which is 2.03" long un fireformed. My limited supply has the small rifle primer pocket.  

Thanks in advance for any input.
RJ

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Primer size --- Large or Small
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2024 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
when speaking of small supplies  don't build a load that you don't have proper components for  j m o  art

IP Logged

GunBum

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2024 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
I have no preference for small or large primer pockets, but in the smokeless world, small primer pockets are generally preferred in some calibers over large primers.

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2024 at 8:49am
Print Post  
Any primer that makes the gun go bang is a good primer. Like almost everything else some are better than others. Most firearms are a little finicky and testing is in order to find what works best in that particular rifle/cartridge combination. At the present time small rifle primers are much easier to find than large rifle primers. Test both to see which works best. I have no idea where to find adapters to use small primers in large primer pockets and it really doesn't seem like a really great idea to me.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2024 at 9:06am
Print Post  
I will have to do the test that I planned when I bought a few 30 American cases and sized a couple to 32-40.  I did this when I couldn’t find any Remington large rifle primers.  Before I did any serious testing I acquired a quantity of LR primers and put that project on the back burner. I will move forward and do the test after this week’s match. 

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
Plethora?  You say I have a plethora?.

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 22nd, 2024 at 9:12am
Print Post  
"Have any of you ever used a small rifle primer to accomplish the same thing...?"

What is the "same thing" you are doing? Are you going to a smaller case?

I am against using pistol primers in rifle primer pockets, they jump back against the breech face on firing and they are not a strong structurally as rifle primers.

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

RJ-35-40

Reply #6 - Apr 22nd, 2024 at 11:00am
Print Post  
ART,
I agree... I'm long on Small rifle primers as will be my son once I stop shooting. 

I've got some additional information to gather before I finish my draft comments / questions for the other posters below but suffice it to say my curiosity on the subject is based on the supposition that less brisance is better when it comes to igniting black powder
due to the burn characteristics...

Testing the theory is 1/2 the fun, achieving good results as a result is the other half. 

RJ

art_ruggiero wrote on Apr 21st, 2024 at 7:31pm:
when speaking of small supplies  don't build a load that you don't have proper components for  j m o  art

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 22nd, 2024 at 11:23am
Print Post  
SchwartzStock wrote on Apr 22nd, 2024 at 9:12am:
"Have any of you ever used a small rifle primer to accomplish the same thing...?"

What is the "same thing" you are doing? Are you going to a smaller case?

I am against using pistol primers in rifle primer pockets, they jump back against the breech face on firing and they are not a strong structurally as rifle primers.

I bet I have fired well over a hundred thousand Large pistol primers in rifle primer pockets with low pressure smokeless and have yet to ruin a breech face and have fine accuracy. And I have yet to have one missfire.
Just my experience i'm not saying other people have had different.

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Apr 22nd, 2024 at 11:39am
Print Post  
I bet I have fired well over a hundred thousand Large pistol primers in rifle primer pockets with low pressure smokeless and have yet to ruin a breech face and have fine accuracy. And I have yet to have one missfire.
Just my experience i'm not saying other people have had different. [/quote]

Ditto, but not as large a quantity as you. I think the damage to breech faces (which I've never witnessed) may be due to lack of hardness of steel? At any rate, I substitute LP for LR primers whenever I can, main exception is with high(er) pressure hunting cartridge loads employing coated slow burning stick powders and ball powders. Main reason for doing it: insanely large quantity of LP primers here at my house and a dwindling supply of LR primers. 

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Apr 22nd, 2024 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
That is my other reason for using a lot of large pistol primers.Because my large primer rifle stash is thinning out  particularly federal 215 I use un my 50-90 with 5744.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #10 - Apr 22nd, 2024 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
So what does one use in say a .32-20 that was initially a rifle cartridge, but quickly became a pistol or rifle cartridge? I've loaded them with either SP or SR primers, and I don't see any difference is seating depth or function?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 22nd, 2024 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
If you look at the SAAMI specs for primer dimensions, the large rifle and large pistol primers have a few thousandths of an inch of height difference, with the l.r. being taller.  The specs for small rifle and small pistol show the same height.

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #12 - Apr 22nd, 2024 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
38_Cal wrote on Apr 22nd, 2024 at 2:44pm:
If you look at the SAAMI specs for primer dimensions, the large rifle and large pistol primers have a few thousandths of an inch of height difference, with the l.r. being taller.  The specs for small rifle and small pistol show the same height.

That is correct.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #13 - Apr 22nd, 2024 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
I love my old German Schuetzen rifles, but some of them have weak main spring, so large pistol primers.
Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint