Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Question about W. Milton Farrow (Read 2874 times)
Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Re: Question about W. Milton Farrow
Reply #15 - Apr 22nd, 2024 at 8:23am
Print Post  
Interesting read Waterman! Farrow always seems to be rather boisterous in any  comments he made or was quoted saying.

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #16 - Apr 22nd, 2024 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Yes, modesty wasn't a trait in Farrow's writings. I've often wondered if he came off the same face to face?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Apr 22nd, 2024 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
I HAVE KNOWN SOME WITH THAT SAME TRAIT, AND AT TIMES I FELT THAT THEY WERE NOT AWARE THAT THEY CAME ACROSS IN THAT MANNER. OTHERS NOT SO MUCH. I RATHER FELT THAT IF THE PERSON IS THAT GOOD, EVERYONE IS AWARE OF THE FACT. FROM ALL I GATHER, HE WAS THAT GOOD.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

BullardShooter
Participating Member

Reply #18 - Apr 22nd, 2024 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Apr 21st, 2024 at 10:32pm:
More about WMF after Dec. 31, 1884.  My ideas from here on:

Farrow had the basic design of his single shot action in mind. I think Farrow borrowed or rented Bullard's tool room or machine shop and Bullard's stock-making shop and employed their principal machinist and their head stock-maker to (a) teach Farrow how to be a machinist, (b) to teach Farrow the stock-making trade, (c) to teach Farrow how to rifle barrels accurately, (d) to develop a working prototype action, and (e) to build a demonstration model rifle.

Farrow wasn't working from a new box of crayons. He was an accomplished watchmaker (gears, levers, pins and springs) and he'd been in the gun business for at least 11 years. Going from memory (re: Dick Chamberlain's 1962 Gun Digest article), the first Farrow was demonstrated in April, 1885.

With ZERO proof, I'll advance the idea that ALL of the 200+ Farrow stocks were produced on Bullard machinery, and from wood that Farrow purchased from Bullard.  I suspect all the work was done in 1885.

All of Bullard's and Marlin's action parts were forged by Rogers & Spencer, Hartford, CT.  I'll continue with my ZERO proof idea that all of Farrow's parts also came from Rogers & Spencer, again in 1885.

I'll get back to this tomorrow.

Waterman - Fascinating!  Keep it coming.  What do you suppose the chances are that I'll ever know the particulars of the Bullard Farrow was shooting?  Large frame?  Caliber?

Steve004

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Apr 22nd, 2024 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
BullardShooter wrote on Apr 22nd, 2024 at 1:57pm:
waterman wrote on Apr 21st, 2024 at 10:32pm:
More about WMF after Dec. 31, 1884.  My ideas from here on:

Farrow had the basic design of his single shot action in mind. I think Farrow borrowed or rented Bullard's tool room or machine shop and Bullard's stock-making shop and employed their principal machinist and their head stock-maker to (a) teach Farrow how to be a machinist, (b) to teach Farrow the stock-making trade, (c) to teach Farrow how to rifle barrels accurately, (d) to develop a working prototype action, and (e) to build a demonstration model rifle.

Farrow wasn't working from a new box of crayons. He was an accomplished watchmaker (gears, levers, pins and springs) and he'd been in the gun business for at least 11 years. Going from memory (re: Dick Chamberlain's 1962 Gun Digest article), the first Farrow was demonstrated in April, 1885.

With ZERO proof, I'll advance the idea that ALL of the 200+ Farrow stocks were produced on Bullard machinery, and from wood that Farrow purchased from Bullard.  I suspect all the work was done in 1885.

All of Bullard's and Marlin's action parts were forged by Rogers & Spencer, Hartford, CT.  I'll continue with my ZERO proof idea that all of Farrow's parts also came from Rogers & Spencer, again in 1885.

I'll get back to this tomorrow.

Waterman - Fascinating!  Keep it coming.  What do you suppose the chances are that I'll ever know the particulars of the Bullard Farrow was shooting?  Large frame?  Caliber?

Without going back and re-reading the Bullard history, I suspect that Farrow went on tour with at least samples of whatever models had been produced before his tour. Had Bullard made samples of everything in their catalog?

WMF was selling rifles. The only mass-market advertising was newspapers.  His tour went from one bigger city gun club near the RR tracks to another.  If they had ranges, they were probably 200 yards or so.  He had to have his demo models set up & sighted in. The public didn't get to mess with those.

But there had to be samples for the potential customers to handle, maybe even to shoot.  This was an expensive undertaking, traveling for 3 or 4 months during the summer.  Telegraphing orders to be filled & shipped cross-country wouldn't bring in cash. He had to sell some rifles to get the product into the hands & minds of potential customers. How many would you take?

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Apr 22nd, 2024 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
The logistics of the whole summer-long marketing tour must have been a challenge.  Everything had to be thought out ahead of time.  A different venue every week-end, an advance man working a week ahead.  If I were doing it, I think I'd want at least 100 rifles, 10 to a case.  And at least 2 strong guys (thugs?), maybe 3, to do the heavy lifting & provide security.  And another guy back at the factory keeping track of things.  The guy at Bullard would be a clerk, literate & numerate, somebody who could write reports, fill orders, & report to the boss.

After leaving SF, Farrow et al stopped in Ogden, Utah for a few days. Put on a show and probably met the Browning brothers. That must have been interesting.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #21 - Apr 22nd, 2024 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Apr 22nd, 2024 at 4:02pm:
The logistics of the whole summer-long marketing tour must have been a challenge.  Everything had to be thought out ahead of time.  A different venue every week-end, an advance man working a week ahead.  If I were doing it, I think I'd want at least 100 rifles, 10 to a case.  And at least 2 strong guys (thugs?), maybe 3, to do the heavy lifting & provide security.  And another guy back at the factory keeping track of things.  The guy at Bullard would be a clerk, literate & numerate, somebody who could write reports, fill orders, & report to the boss.

After leaving SF, Farrow et al stopped in Ogden, Utah for a few days. Put on a show and probably met the Browning brothers. That must have been interesting.

Thanks so much for sharing your extensive knowledge of Farrow! Very interesting reading to me!

IP Logged

BullardShooter
Participating Member

Reply #22 - Apr 22nd, 2024 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Apr 22nd, 2024 at 5:23pm:
waterman wrote on Apr 22nd, 2024 at 4:02pm:

Thanks so much for sharing your extensive knowledge of Farrow! Very interesting reading to me!

I certainly echo this.  Very helpful and interesting reading.

Steve004

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Apr 22nd, 2024 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
The next part of Farrow’s career requires a look at his family, his fears, and his character:

Farrow was born into a big family; the 16th (and youngest) child in a “his, hers, and theirs” family living in Belfast, Maine.  His father was a master mariner, a sea captain in the days of sail.  Most of the family trades were associated with the sea.  Sailors and masters, sailmakers, builders of wooden ships and even brokers of marine insurance were family occupations.  Part of Belfast caught fire & the shipyards and business section burned down in 1865, when WMF was 17.  The fire, the Civil War and the coming of steam engines, both afloat & ashore, changed all that.  Family members were killed or came home crippled.  All that destroyed the Farrow family finances.  

No money for college, so WMF became an apprentice watchmaker.  His alternative was going to sea.  Once a journeyman, WMF went to Boston for employment, living with an uncle.  Unknown to WMF, he had just moved into ground zero of a tuberculosis epidemic.  His aunt, then 2 cousins, and then his uncle died.  Back in Belfast, WMF’s father died and his mother needed his support.  Farrow gladly went back to Belfast, but had no job.  In April, 1871, he found a job as a watchmaker in Newport, Rhode Island. 

Business in Newport was booming.  WMF went from being a watchmaker to owning the jewelry store.  That expanded into eyeglasses and sporting goods, everything from tennis rackets and fishing gear to shotguns and ammunition.  The family had a long history of working together and supporting each other.  The Farrow household in Newport soon housed his brother Tom (child #15), Tom’s wife and her daughter, his sister Abbie (child # 13) and her husband Tom Carter, and Farrow’s widowed mother Jerusha. 

In September, 1874, young WMF (age 24) and his girlfriend Abbie Greene (age 18) took the train from Newport, Rhode Island to Creedmoor, New York, to see what this Creedmoor target shooting was all about. They booked a room for the duration of the match at the brand new Creedmoor Hotel.  

WMF reckoned he could profit from the general interest by selling some rifles and ammunition.  He also paid attention to Abbie.  They were married the following January and Abbie moved into the Farrow household.  Their first child was born nine months to the day from the first day of the first International match at Creedmoor.
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2024 at 7:50pm by waterman »  

IP Logged

BullardShooter
Participating Member

Reply #24 - Apr 23rd, 2024 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Waterman - 

Simply fascinating history!  Very interesting to read.

Steve004

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Apr 24th, 2024 at 8:09am
Print Post  
Parker Shotguns were often sold through traveling celebrity shooters. Excepting the basic Trojan models all Parker’s were built to order and factory records survived for most. Today a documented Parker used by one of the exhibition or competition shooters is among the most valuable. All were higher grade wood and engraving guns. 

No doubt the situation with Farrow the same 

Boats

IP Logged

BullardShooter
Participating Member

Reply #26 - Apr 24th, 2024 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Apr 24th, 2024 at 8:09am:
Parker Shotguns were often sold through traveling celebrity shooters. Excepting the basic Trojan models all Parker’s were built to order and factory records survived for most. Today a documented Parker used by one of the exhibition or competition shooters is among the most valuable. All were higher grade wood and engraving guns. 

That's one of the paths I'm trying to go down.  I've yet to find a single Bullard connected to Farrow or sold by Farrow during his 1884 tour.

Boats

Steve004

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Apr 24th, 2024 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
BullardShooter wrote on Apr 24th, 2024 at 1:25pm:
boats wrote on Apr 24th, 2024 at 8:09am:

That's one of the paths I'm trying to go down.  I've yet to find a single Bullard connected to Farrow or sold by Farrow during his 1884 tour.

Boats

WMF started working as the assistant manager (of sales) on Jan 1, 1884. How long had Bullard been in production?  They only made Large-Frame rifles for most of 1884.  I think he only took demonstration Large Frame rifles (several) and took orders. Probably made deals for distributorship with dealers, sent orders by mail, or maybe telegraph.  Didn't hand over any rifles.

Took Small Frame rifles to New Orleans in December, but described the show as a disaster.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #28 - Apr 24th, 2024 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Apr 24th, 2024 at 10:36pm:

WMF started working as the assistant manager (of sales) on Jan 1, 1884. How long had Bullard been in production?  They only made Large-Frame rifles for most of 1884.  I think he only took demonstration Large Frame rifles (several) and took orders. Probably made deals for distributorship with dealers, sent orders by mail, or maybe telegraph.  Didn't hand over any rifles.

Took Small Frame rifles to New Orleans in December, but described the show as a disaster.

In referring to large frame and small frame rifles, were these single shots or repeaters?

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Apr 25th, 2024 at 4:36am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Apr 24th, 2024 at 10:53pm:
waterman wrote on Apr 24th, 2024 at 10:36pm:

In referring to large frame and small frame rifles, were these single shots or repeaters?

All were repeaters. The Single Shots did not appear until 1885 or 1886, after WMF had departed.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Send TopicPrint