Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) F/S Stevens Model 47 Action (Reduced Again) (Read 1716 times)
jgraham1
Participating Member

Re: F/S Stevens Model 47 Action (Reduced Again)
Reply #15 - Apr 16th, 2024 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Apr 16th, 2024 at 3:19pm:
The lugged hammer was supplied only for .32-40 and .38-55 chamberings, so this action was one or the other when new.  Rational smokeless loads for plain base cast bullets will be fine.

So black powder 38-55 can be used?  Or is it just too much for this action?

Jerry

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Apr 16th, 2024 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Yes.  Recent .38-55 pressure test gave about 12,500 psi with modern black powder.  The real limitation is not pressure but breech thrust.  Pressure x internal base area.  12.5kpsi gives about 1550 pounds force (lbf) which the lugged hammer action can handle. 

The weak point in the 44 action is the link in the toggle mechanism.  The geometry subjects it to about 70% of the direct breech thrust, which an awful lot for those tiny pins and a link which is just mild steel, case hardened.  The battering causes the holes to open up, and the lockup (not to mention headspace) goes to pot.  The lug on the hammer is there to transfer that force to the hammer axle, which is a little more able to take the load.  Without the lug, about 1000 lbf. is the limit, if you want a reasonable service life from the action.  More won't blow anything up, it just loosens up the linkage, and the looser it gets, the faster it gets loose.
« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2024 at 7:31pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

jgraham1
Participating Member

Reply #17 - Apr 17th, 2024 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Apr 16th, 2024 at 7:25pm:
Yes.  Recent .38-55 pressure test gave about 12,500 psi with modern black powder.  The real limitation is not pressure but breech thrust.  Pressure x internal base area.  12.5kpsi gives about 1550 pounds force (lbf) which the lugged hammer action can handle. 

The weak point in the 44 action is the link in the toggle mechanism.  The geometry subjects it to about 70% of the direct breech thrust, which an awful lot for those tiny pins and a link which is just mild steel, case hardened.  The battering causes the holes to open up, and the lockup (not to mention headspace) goes to pot.  The lug on the hammer is there to transfer that force to the hammer axle, which is a little more able to take the load.  Without the lug, about 1000 lbf. is the limit, if you want a reasonable service life from the action.  More won't blow anything up, it just loosens up the linkage, and the looser it gets, the faster it gets loose.

Good info, thanks!

Jerry

IP Logged

85lc

Reply #18 - Apr 18th, 2024 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
uscra112, You have provided very knowledgable comments.   

In the late 1970s or early 80s, there was a gunsmith that was producing heavier duty/stronger link pins.  I beliebe they were slightly larger diameter and high strength steel and not a 2 piece pin.   

At that time, I had a Stevens 44 and thought about sending it to him to upgrade.  However, I traded that rifle before sending.

NRA Life Member, ASSRA Life Member, GGCA Life Member

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Apr 18th, 2024 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
I've been using 5mm hardened steel dowel pins for several years, and have a writeup on how to do it.  Only drawback is that they come in packs of 50.  I've been distributing them gratis pro Deo from my inventory to anybody who asks, and I may have to order more.   

Two piece?  I think you must mean the lever and breechblock pivots, not the link pins.   

It would be wonderful if somebody with CNC were to make links out of 4130 pre-hard or some such.  I've done it on a manual mill, but it's too much time and trouble to do it commercially.   

4mm dowels do it for Favorites, BTW.   The link for the 1915 Favorite isn't so hard to make on a manual mill.

<div class=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint