Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 219 Zipper AE (Read 605 times)
jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

219 Zipper AE
Apr 3rd, 2024 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Have a Hepburn in 219 Zipper that I am going to re barrel because I don't like the barrel that is on it and am contemplating going to 219 AE . What if any advantage would they be and could I just reform the original brass.

JMH

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 219 Zipper AE
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2024 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Oops I meant "Ackley Improved " not AE.

JMH

IP Logged

singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2024 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
The Ackley version will give you more case capacity and usually better case life. Strangle Ackley did not go with his normal 40 degree shoulder on the Zipper, instead it is 28 degrees. I am barreling up a standard Zipper for a client now and just formed 100 30-30 cases for him. I didn't have much luck fireforming 25-35 to the Ackley version when barreling up a High Wall for myself, 80% case loss. I used 30-30 cases and a series of 3 other dies with excellent results. Possibly the reason Ackley went with the 28 degree shoulder was to preclude ace loss during fireforming. Good luck on your project.
Keep us informed on your results.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2024 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
I have a HW in 225 Winchester  but cut for standard 30-30 rim.I'm fond of it,both 225 brass and.30'30 formed cases function fine.
I even had Bjack make me a breech seater for it.

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2024 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
I have several singleshots in various Ackley Improved chamberings and I believe if I was going to start over I would go with the standard chamberings.  The 219 original case taper sure makes it a breeze to slide into the chamber.  If I was going to rebarrel a strong action like a Hepburn I would look at the 219 Donaldson Wasp as it was a tested accurate cartridge back in the day.  You don't need to load it up to maximum velocity.  Making cases is more work but that is part of the fun of having a wildcat!  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2024 at 4:27am
Print Post  
Played with a .219 AI Zipper a few years back.  Lots of problems with brass. Short case life.  Stick with the original.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2024 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
If time is important enough to you, and to help mitigate case loss, not to mention also saving some other components at todays primer and powder prices, I would recommend having a hydraulic die made for your cartridge. Hornady makes them for a reasonable price considering the above. They do work quite well, especially when you have spent time and resources to get the case to proper neck diameter and length, and then to lose it in fireforming. Annealing can be critical at some stages also. Or just put on a happy face as Jack recommends, and enjoy the process!!

rkba2nd

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 15th, 2024 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Or, if you decide to follow Waterman's advice, chamber it for 225 Winchester and make the fun part finding brass, and make Jack happy at the same time.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint