Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) C-H dies? (Read 797 times)
406shooter
Participating Member

C-H dies?
Apr 1st, 2024 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
I've never used C-H dies but I'm considering ordering a set for 32-20. Any opinions on their dies compared to the usual offerings by RCBS, Lee, Lyman, etc? Thanks much!

Around Dodge City and the territories out west, there's only one way to deal with the killers and the spoilers, and that's with a U.S. Marshall and the smell of...Gunsmoke.

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Re: C-H dies?
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2024 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
I have 2 1/3 sets of CH dies. One set is for the 44-40 and the rest are for a 40-65. As far as quality and finish goes they are every bit as nice as anyone elses on the inside. The outside is a bit plane but that really doesn't effect anything. My 40-65 chanber is a bit tighter than the full length die, but I came across a fl die that had been cut off and that reduced the base of the brass enough to chamber easily. I honestly don't think its a die issue, more of a chamber reamer issue. Once they fit the chamber I have had no problems loading ammunition.
The 44-40 dies, they seem to be set up for jacketed bullets as they don't flair the case mouth. I am posative that a phone call and maybe a few$$ for an expander will solve that little issue. Again, the dies work just fine as far as sizing and seating. The flair is a pretty easy work around and I don't load all that many 44-40's. 
Nice thing about CH is they offer a huge variety of dies and they seem to be pretty good to deal with. 
Sam

IP Logged

TN Longhunter

Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2024 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Easy to deal with. Good quality. I have them on speed dial as with semi-retirement, I have time to get the odd ball calibers I’ve accumulated over the years shooting. I agree that the exterior is not as finished as the main stream dies, but interior works just fine.

IP Logged

Duck_Rider

Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2024 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
I have 18 sets of CH/4D dies. Some in some very odd calibres. Have never had any problems with their quality. Equal to any of the other makers & very much easier to get oddball calibres.
Harry

IP Logged

Bluedog
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Apr 1st, 2024 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Quality dies, and better yet another opportunity to support small business 
Have never had any issues with them

Jason

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2024 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
I've had some since the 1960's and still in use.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 1:07am
Print Post  
I go to C-H for die’s over all of the “major” name brands. Widest selection best inventory and when you call someone experienced answers. Don’t load the wildcats any more, when I did C-H supplied all needs.

Years ago by phone Dave at C-H convinced me to go to neck sizing. Ended up with  all 3 length neck sizer bodies and a good selection of size inserts. Matched with different length  “M” die bodies and expanding plugs. Add custom size inserts and plugs made myself not much I can’t load. 

Boats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 9:23am
Print Post  
C&H aren't the only dies I own, but they're certainly my favorite for several reasons. Their pricing is great, especially on oddball cartridges. They are wonderful to deal with, and often have weird dies in stock. And they usually ship very quickly if they do have dies in stock.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ADK22
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Quality dies

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Apr 4th, 2024 at 7:46am
Print Post  
I've recently acquired my first set in 8x48R, no one else offered them..... Smiley

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Apr 4th, 2024 at 9:17am
Print Post  
C&H original company sad history .
Charles Heckman = C-H.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 4th, 2024 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Sad ending indeed. 

When I acquired my 30-3O Wesson Ballard I searched high and low for a set of dies that C-H made.  They showed hyenas unavailable. I finally gave up and called to back order a set. The very nice lady who answered the phone said that she thought she saw a set in the back and sure enough found it and sent it my way ASAP. 

ASSRA # 11318
Plethora?  You say I have a plethora?.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Apr 4th, 2024 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
bpjack wrote on Apr 4th, 2024 at 11:27am:
Sad ending indeed. 

When I acquired my 30-3O Wesson Ballard I searched high and low for a set of dies that C-H made.  They showed hyenas unavailable. I finally gave up and called to back order a set. The very nice lady who answered the phone said that she thought she saw a set in the back and sure enough found it and sent it my way ASAP. 

She did the same thing for me a couple years ago ,grabbed a 35-40 FL die out of a bin.Had it in 4 days 

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Apr 4th, 2024 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
My next-to-last order was for 8x60R Kropatschek.  Whoever I spoke to on the phone was knowledgeable, asked me to check that I didn't need 8x56R Kropatschek.  They had both in stock.

My last order was for 8x50R Siamese, the early version.  That was in stock also.   

I'm done playing with the oddballs.  All 3 of my elderly oddball-shooting companions died.  Very few of us left.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint