Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic CENTRAL SIERRA SCHUETZEN March 2024 (Read 218 times)
oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

CENTRAL SIERRA SCHUETZEN March 2024
Mar 29th, 2024 at 7:41am
Print Post  
                 CENTRAL SIERRA SCHUETZEN CLUB                        
                 HUTCHISON RANGE                        

March 23, 2024                        

CF 200 YARDS                        

MATCH #1 T1      10 Shots Benchrest  Any Sights                                    
*      Jerry Hartwig                        244      -4       x 250
*      Jerry Cleave                        239      -3      
     Laron Fields                        239      -1      
     Jason Hand                        230      -1      
     Greg Hand                        214            

MATCH #1 T2      10 Shots Benchrest  Any Sights                                    
*      Jerry Hartwig                        248      -8       x 250
*      Jerry Cleave                        244      -6      
     Laron Fields                        244      -5      
     Jason Hand                        230      -2      
     Greg Hand                        218            

*      Quarter Bore                                    

BUFFALO HUNT                                          
     Jason Hand                        141            
     Jerry Hartwig                        94            
     Greg Hand                        70            
     Steve Stewart                        49            

Jerry Cleave            Stevens 44 1/2, Pedersen, 10", 25-20 SS, Mos 118 gr (BR), Doughty 103 gr (OH), Javelina S/L, B/S,                              
           CCI BR4, 8.3 gr H108, Lyman STS 20x (BR), Unertl 10x (OH), Baldwin Soule, Riflesmith Globe                              

Rich Davis            Remington RB, 40-82,Green Mt, 16”, Postell 396 gr, SPG, Fixed, 4198, 23 gr, Fed LR                              

Laron Fields            Winchester Highwall, Winchester, 16", 32-40, Lyman, 185 gr, Javalina S/L, B/S, WLP, 4227, 14.5 gr,                              
           Lyman STS 20x, Baldwin Soule & Ballard Irons                              

Greg Hand            Shiloh Sharps, Shiloh, 18”, 45-70, Lyman 532 gr., SPG, Fixed, FedLRM, 68gr Swiss 1 ½ FG, MVA 8x.                              

Jason Hand            Shiloh Sharps, Shiloh, 18”, 45-70, Lyman 532 gr., SPG, Fixed, FedLRM, 68gr Swiss 1 ½ FG, MVA 8x.                              

Jerry Hartwig            CPA 44 1/2, Douglas, 10", 25-20 WCF, Mos 120 gr, JSL, B/S, CCI BR4, AA 4100, 9.6 gr, Lyman STS 20x.                              
           Winchester High-wall, Green Mt., 14”, 40-65,  RCBS 300 gr, Javelina, Fixed, FLR, 4198, 23 gr. Irons                               

Steve Stewart            Remington RB, Douglas, 40-65, Fixed, 4227, 21 gr, F150                              

We dodged the rain, and the day turned out fine.  We welcomed two new shooters, and look forward to                              
           their returning.  The schuetzen matches were shortened to allow time to set up for the Buffalo Hunt.  The                              
           latter was a hit with everyone, and we will offer another one at our April shoot.                              

THE BUFFALO HUNT                                                                  
45405                        (OR, IS THIS REALLY HOW THEY DID IT?                                                                  

HUNTER      BUFF      BUFF   BUFF   HOST HOST CHIEF S-T      TIME      PENALTY    EXTRA BONUS SCOPE      NET      RIFLE
                    #1       #2     #3        #1    #2                            MIN      F   DED    CTGS                DED      TOTAL      

Jason Hand      30      30      30      30      30      20    170      6.35      3      19      0         0            10      141      Highwall 45-70   

Jerry Hartwig   30      15      25      30      10      0      110      5.25      3      16      0         0                     94      Highwall 40-65   

Greg Hand      20      25      15      30      30              120      13.45      3      40    0          0           10      70      Shiloh Sharps 45-70

Steve Stewart   25      10      15      30      0      0       80       10.5      3      32      0         0                      49      Rem RB 4-65

3                                    

Possible      30      30      30      30      30      20      170                        4                        

THE RULES                                                      

40 Caliber or larger (ASSRA Class II rifles), Iron Sights, 20 rounds fixed ammo                                                                                          

Stage I      You are hunting buffalo.  Three appear at various ranges.  Starting with the closest buff and working away, fire three shots per                                                                                    
     target.  Shots inside the kill zone are worth 10 points, all other hits are worth 5 points/                                                                                    

Stage II      The Hostiles appear!  They aren't too happy about your presence in their hunting ground.  Three sneak up close to you, so you                                                                                    
     must eliminate them first.  Another three, a little more prudent, poke their heads over the hill, and their Chief assumes a safe (?)                                                                                    
     position to observe his boys in action. Shoot until you a: get them all or b: run out of ammo. If you are successful in hitting all the                                                                                    
     Hostiles, and still have ammo left, you are allowed one shot at the Chief. Each hit on the Hostiles is worth 10 points.  The Chief is                                                                                    
     Worth 20.                                                                                    

Scores are adjusted by a time factor. Your time is multiplied by a factor of 3, and the result is subtracted for your gross score.                                                                                    
     The course can be fired clean with 16 shots.  Any cartridges remaining of your 20 will be multiplied by a factor of 5, and added to                                                                                    
     your score. 10 Points will be deducted for use of a 'scope.                                                                                                                  

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Re: CENTRAL SIERRA SCHUETZEN March 2024
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 9:42am
Print Post  
The Buffalo Hunt sounds like a fun time. I have a question about the rules saying iron sights only and the tech data shows scopes being used. I would think scopes would be a plus as most shooters in my area are somewhat handicapped by age.

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 10:32am
Print Post  
The Buffalo Hunt was originally to be shot with Iron Sights only. We have two new shooters to our group who only have their BPCR Silhouette rifles with scopes for now. We allow scopes now, but dock those using them 10 points to help even out the advantage a scope gives.

The Hostiles measure 14" high by 10" wide. That's not much to look at at 200 yards with iron sights, even using a tang rear and globe front with apertures. I further handicap myself by using a semi-buckhorn sight for the rear and a silver blade up front.

Fast and furious shooting for me. 20 shots in just over 5 minutes. There are deductions for how much time it takes you to shoot either all the targets or all your ammo. So, the faster you shoot, the less deductions from your score. 

It is a LOT of FUN.

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Another question; were the folks shooting black powder using fouling control methods or shooting shot after shot as fast as the smokeless competitors. Great match that needs a national forum.

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Greg was using a blow tube. Pretty sure Jason just shot without without any fouling control.

The times are listed in the table of scores.

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

JHand
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2024 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
JerryH wrote on Mar 29th, 2024 at 2:37pm:
Greg was using a blow tube. Pretty sure Jason just shot without without any fouling control.

The times are listed in the table of scores.

Hey, just getting going on the forum. For fouling control, I wiped every 3 shots. Since it was 3 per buffalo, and each bank of hostiles, that worked good. Since I was using rounds that I have for silhouette, I was using 530gr bullets with 68 GR swiss, so it was a bit much. Also used a camping tool to seat each round since I load the rounds long.

For the match this weekend I plan on using a trapdoor with some 400gr bullets so Jerry doesn't hang me for beating up his targets  Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint