Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sifting BP (Read 1331 times)
gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Sifting BP
Reply #15 - Apr 1st, 2024 at 9:23am
Print Post  
When breech seating your aren't too likely to compress the daylights out of it.  Usually you run the powder to the top of the case, stick a thin wad on it and shoot it.

I started using about 0.030" to 0.060" compression after reading some stuff Steve Garbe had written about reducing case stretching when shooting breech seated BP loads.  I don't think it made any difference to be honest

Chris.

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Apr 3rd, 2024 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies. I’m sure if it worked to any extent it would be in use.
Thanks Richard

IP Logged

John in PA
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Apr 8th, 2024 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
If you're committed to experimenting with sifting, I believe Cal-Graf or Lee Shaver offer(ed) a set of brass screened drums for progressive sifting of BP.

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA
Peabody and Peabody-Martini's Wanted!

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - Apr 10th, 2024 at 2:18am
Print Post  
Thanks John, I’ll check it out

IP Logged

RJ-35-40

Reply #19 - Apr 14th, 2024 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Richard,

Looking forward to your results as I am planning on gravitating to the 32's, both a 32-40 and a 32-20...

I, like every one at some point in time, weighed and segregated bullets. 
I'm not sure how the casting temp affects voids but I'd guess the lighter bullets have some sort of void in it.

I've taken a few lighter bullets and super glued the base to a piece of aluminum so it stands vertical, and with a torch melted them from the top down to see if the voids appeared at the top vs. the base. Not surprisingly very few were exactly in the center and most were near the base. Maybe that is why Nose pour moulds are popular. ???

I look forward to looking into that devise that was spoken of early in this thread.
It might be fun to set up a couple of lathe like pinpoint centering pins to see if a bullet will settle heavy side down kinda like a tire.
Of course this is probably nothing more than idle useless conjecture but from my perspective it may be fun. 
Maybe there is a computer genius out there who will calculate if say .3 grains weight difference x.000" off center axis will be negated by centrifugal force. 

Anyone, Ferris?

Grand slam wrote on Mar 22nd, 2024 at 5:14pm:
I’m planning on building a .32-40 200 yard match rifles. I’m limited by rules to using Black Powder (BP) only and I have no problem with that. It seems that the most accurate shooting is with smokeless powder though. And I’ve wondered why that is and I have thought it may be the fact that grain structure is much more uniform in smokeless powder. Burning rate, all other things being equal (which is usually not the case) is determined by the surface area of the individual grains of powder. Because the grain structure of BP varies from case to case and batch to batch, the pressure curve would be different shot to shot and indicated by reduced accuracy. If this is true would sifting powder to produce more uniform grain size per load lead to greater accuracy. What are your thoughts as to why smokeless powder loads are more accurate.
Cheers Richard

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2024 at 4:13pm by RJ-35-40 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint