Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Went To The Gun Show (Read 1212 times)
Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Went To The Gun Show
Mar 16th, 2024 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
"Maybe I ought to give this Show a rest for a while," I groused to myself.  "Like maybe a year or so."

It was mostly New Stuff.  Everywhere was the soft patina of plastic and the warm glow of anodized aluminum, in weird colors.

Many tables held nothing  but magazines, sight rails, laser mounts and other aluminum or plastic accessories for the above mentioned tactical arms.  Occasional rows of Henry lever actions or Ruger autoloaders.  Here and there, some battered WWII and earlier milsurps, at current prices that brought to mind the Weimar Republic.  The only vintage stuff in quantity was Colt and S&W handguns and replicas thereof.

"Guess the Antique Trade is about finished," I thought, not for the first time.  Certainly most I see at the range now have black rifles, and seem to be concerned with unloading them as rapidly as possible.  It's rare to see anything but auto cases on the ground any more.

"Well, one more turn around the place and then it's time for lunch," I concluded.  "Same everything on the same tables; go around the outside again; dip into this side room--"

On the table at the entrance, among a bunch of modern stuff was a familiar outline. (Not familiar at this show, but familiar nonetheless.) I hovered over it, unbelievingly.

"Can I see this?" I asked the guy behind the table.  He nodded.  I picked it up and made a show of looking at the tag again, which said "Stevens 44."  Underneath had been written in ballpoint but overlaid with a Magic Marker, "$400".

It's actually a Stevens 44-1/2," the table holder said, authoritatively.  “That ‘25-20’ on the barrel isn't for the normal shell, though."  "How's the bore?" I asked.  Pretty good," he said, cutting the tie so I could open the action.

It was better than "pretty good;" it was really, really good.  The barrel had a few tapped holes, the lever pin had been replaced and the gun rust blued; a good job. To the collector of shooter rifles, ie, me, a tapped barrel means that the previous owner was excited enough about the accuracy to pay to mount a scope on it.

"Can you go any lower?" I asked, marveling at my own mendacity.  "No, sorry," he said, "If I can't sell it, I'll send it to CPA to get it set back for the modern ammo."

I didn't require the need to spare the collector of the future anguish to give him the money.  We said thanks, and I left.

It wasn't a 44, or a 44-1/2. It was a 044-1/2, in great shape with a pristine bore.  Why can't Life be like this all the time?
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2024 at 12:53pm by Bent_Ramrod »  

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Went To The Gun Show
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2024 at 12:58am
Print Post  
"I didn't require the need to spare the collector of the future anguish to give him the money.  We said thanks, and I left. "   

Man you can really write neat but I still don't know if you bought the rifle or not. I have to admit that me and my K9 unit Buddy are full of baileys at the moment so maybe that's why I don't know. I see the picture so you must have bought it. I stopped going to gun shows many years ago because I got tired of not seeing any neat single shots and single shot stuff.  Glad you had a good time.  Did you buy it?

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2024 at 8:13am
Print Post  
Wanna double your money? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2024 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Blind squirrels, and all that! Congrats!

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2024 at 10:15am
Print Post  
If you don’t have brass, Bertram has it available right now.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2024 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Oh, I bought it all right.  I’m setting up a bunch of B&M reloading tools for various calibers and the necksized, deprimed .25-20 SS brass that I got from the first trial run on one of the tools fits the chamber just fine.

Glad to see Bertram is still making it, but I’m pretty well stocked.

I’m going to do a CSI-Forensic analytic treatment on the tag to see if I can remove the Magic Marker and see what the original price was before the seller found out it wasn’t a 44.  Whatever it was, it can only add to the legend.

My radar on such stuff is usually pretty good but age might be blurring it as I didn’t see it at all the first circuit of the show.  The first 044-1/2 I ever saw in “my” price range had a Savage barrel grafted onto it and the guy just ahead of me in the table line (who’d mostly been loudly and annoyingly pointing out the features of war surplus stuff to his pal ahead of him) unaccountably picked it up and said “I’m gonna buy this!”  I’ve been at pains ever since to ensure that doesn’t happen again.

I lucked into a couple Stevens telescopic sights at the last show, one with Mossberg external mounts.  I think I’ll make an adapter strip for the barrel holes and mount the scope setup on the strip.  It’ll be pseudo-authentic, won’t require any more damage to the barrel, and maybe I’ll find some Stevens mounts under a pile of Trijicon laser dot projector mounts at a future show.  I might actually get that lucky; this season is certainly starting out with a bang.

IP Logged

Gold45Colt

Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2024 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Nice rifle and a great buy. At that price I would have purchased it too.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2024 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
Underneath the “$400” in magic marker was a “$400” written in ballpoint.  Odd.  It was perfectly legible.  Was anticipating a lower price.

The barrel has a stamp SPECIAL STEEL FOR SMOKELESS POWDERS on the right side octagon face.  Just noticed it tonight.  It’s nominally upside down, but for a right-hander, a tilt to the side as the rifle is carried and there it is.  I’ve never seen a barrel so stamped before, outside of books.

IP Logged

Fields
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Mar 18th, 2024 at 8:03am
Print Post  
What show in southern Arizona did you discover this pearl? My most recent experiences in the Tucson shows have been far from positive.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Mar 18th, 2024 at 8:41am
Print Post  
This was the Crossroads one in Mesa.

What generally makes a Show for me anymore are bins and boxes of parts, old loading tools, moulds and odd shooting equipment, books and old magazines.  I seldom find a complete, working rifle in my price range anymore, although I do like to look at what’s there, whatever the prices.  I’m endlessly fascinated with other peoples’ old junk.  Would have loved to have been an archeologist, but there aren’t many jobs in the field.

But, like an old placer claim that’s almost played out, the occasional nugget still seems to show up, however unpromising the Show seems at first glance.

IP Logged

Fields
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Mar 19th, 2024 at 8:28am
Print Post  
I lived in Gilbert for over 15 years and the Mesa show was always a Mecca or Bust. I bought a Fields Action 450 3 1/4 BPE Rifle there many years ago. This "Gomer" was walking around with Fields over his shoulder and several Colts stuck in his belt. I got the Fields but several guys beat me to the Colts.
Gentleman in Montana now hunts Elk with the Fields.

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Mar 19th, 2024 at 8:49am
Print Post  
Bent_Ramrod wrote on Mar 17th, 2024 at 10:41pm:
Underneath the “$400” in magic marker was a “$400” written in ballpoint.  Odd.  It was perfectly legible.  Was anticipating a lower price.

The barrel has a stamp SPECIAL STEEL FOR SMOKELESS POWDERS on the right side octagon face.  Just noticed it tonight.  It’s nominally upside down, but for a right-hander, a tilt to the side as the rifle is carried and there it is.  I’ve never seen a barrel so stamped before, outside of books.

I have a 44 1/2 in .32-40 with the Special Steel For Smokeless Powder stamp. This stamp is on the top octagonal flat, with the J Stevens A&T stamp on the right octagonal flat, correctly stamped for a right handed person. 

Congrats on your find, $400 is a steal. It would even be a great price even if it had been a model 44.
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2024 at 1:30pm by Sure shot »  

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Mar 21st, 2024 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Second 50-yard group with barrel sights and a load I had around: Nelsdale thin-rim cases, Remington BR Small Rifle Primers, 7 gr SR-4759, Ideal 257420 sized 0.258," Lyman gas checks, Alox/Beeswax.

At 100 yards, I could get most of them into 2-1/2" or under.  That German silver front sight is not for old eyes.
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2024 at 9:27am by Bent_Ramrod »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint