Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Unknown tube sight? Project? (Read 1281 times)
SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Unknown tube sight? Project?
Reply #15 - Mar 24th, 2024 at 11:44am
Print Post  
Do tube sights slide in the mounts the same was as the Unertl? Seems to me a tube sight lacking glass would not need to move in recoil.

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Mar 24th, 2024 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
They do move like a scope.  You can lock a tube sight or scope so they don’t move back and forth if you want and they will function fine but you may experience issues with a scope and high recoil.  It is nice to have the ability to slide if they impact your glasses.  All the ones I have seen use the same mounts as scopes. 

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
Plethora?  You say I have a plethora?.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Mar 24th, 2024 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
On the ones that I have made, I use a solid, U joint arrangement in the front, with Olympic front inserts and a Merit disk rear. 

Also, I was having cataract issues before I stopped shooting but, didn't know it at the time. I found that a front post, in my tube sight, the width of the 200 yd bull, increased my scores from 1 to as many as 3 points per target, in a 50 shot match.

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Mar 24th, 2024 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
For the bench iron sight matches in Spokane I have begun using a stock Unertl tube sight with an unknown front sight that has a large opening that uses a clear glass disk with a hole in it that presents as a nice visible black circle.  It allows me to open up my Merit rear to help alleviate the artifacts caused by cataracts.  For offhand I use a Redfield International with an adaptor that mounts to the rear scope block on my 30 Wesson Ballard.  We stopped shooting iron sights at Tacoma due to lack of interest.  We have almost stopped shooting altogether at Tacom due to lack of interest. At most we have only 3 shooters shooting center fire bench.  Maybe 3 for the CF offhand scope. The other shooters only shoot the rimfire matches. 

Jack

ASSRA # 11318

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Mar 24th, 2024 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
That's what I was using before switching to the post. Not glass but the clear Olympic aperture.

I found it easier to judge the light between the bull and top of the post and then the sides of the post and bull, kind of naturally centered themselves.

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Mar 24th, 2024 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
I think the Lyman 77 and 3/8 dovetail block I just got from Wards auction might be the correct height.  I could try the post that it has to see how that goes.

ASSRA # 11318

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint