Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic and yet, another cry for help (Read 570 times)
oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

and yet, another cry for help
Mar 9th, 2024 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Not to steal Westerner's thunder, but the a sign of addiction is you get to the point where you need a fix and the quality matters less until you come to your senses. 

I bought a #3 Remington. One that I had deemed a dog and walked away from twice before --  barrel too pitted, too $$, bore shot to h*ll.  Then  the addiction took hold and " I don't have one in that caliber"  (22WCF) and it didn't seem to be so bad. Until I woke up. Now I own a unique caliber rifle that has little going for it. 

What to do : 

A. Reline to 22 WCF,  file the barrel and re blue, re-case color

B. Rebore to .25 -20ss ,    file the barrel and re blue, re-case color

C. leave it alone and hope my kids get something for it at the  estate sale

I promise I'll quit doing stupid things- right after the next Amoskeag auction  Cheesy

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

n.r.davis
Oldtimer

Re: and yet, another cry for help
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2024 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
I think Evil Bay may be the solution....
Describe it as Rare Antique in a Scarce Chambering with Original Finish and you're good to go 😉.  David

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2024 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
n.r.davis wrote on Mar 9th, 2024 at 5:13pm:
I think Evil Bay may be the solution....
Describe it as Rare Antique in a Scarce Chambering with Original Finish and you're good to go 😉.  David

Might work if Ebay wasn't antigun, and wont let him sell it there.

As for what to do with it, if it was mine and I didn't end up upside down in it, I'd do the restoration, and make the caliber whatever CF I wanted.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

northwoodneil

Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2024 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
No money to be made here so..... rebarrel it to 22 wcf have the receiver redone, buy some "nice wood". Then go out and buy a custom mold, a set of dies, and be sure to over pay for the brass. Lastly shoot it a few times, decide it's to small for long range, to expensive for prairie dogs and not really a schuetzen rifle. Put it in the safe and when conversation turns to #3's in 22 wcf say "I've got one of those if I remember correctly I bought it pretty cheap"
At least that's what I'd do Huh

IP Logged

Statesrights
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2024 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Neil,

You got it just right!

😉

IP Logged

rifleman

Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2024 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Nice to know I am not alone

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 10th, 2024 at 7:50am
Print Post  
I’ve aways followed two rules, rescue a lost cause by spending more than it’s worth, then selling at a loss. It’s a simple plan and works well.

Boats

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2024 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Reline to .22 WCF, and shoot it.  I usually don’t bother with the outside finish, since any effort put into that will eventually result, with sufficient passage of time, in exactly the way it looks right now.  “Such outward things dwell not in my desires, but if it be a sin to covet cool shooters, I am the most offending soul alive.”  You can’t make it mint original ever again, so the best alternative is to have fun with it.

I take my corroded (but fixed-up, functional and safe) treasures to the range a lot.  It’s surprising how many times a younger shooter will leave his 21st Century Peabody Spoonbill Rifle (with camo-paint fully-adjustable stock, silencer, and AWACS sighting apparatus) on the bags and come over and say, “Wow, that’s Cool!  What is it?”

It called to you, and you responded.  Naturally, organically, and without any artificial ingredients and harsh chemicals.  No animals were harmed in the course of the transaction, and it’s now on the vendor who got the money to hire Minorities and save the Checkered Wombat.

Geez, if all you were interested in was accumulating and storage of degraded green paper coupons and base-metal stampings, you’d be on a Day Trader’s site, not one like this.
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2024 at 12:02am by Bent_Ramrod »  

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 10th, 2024 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
northwoodneil wrote on Mar 9th, 2024 at 6:55pm:
No money to be made here so..... rebarrel it to 22 wcf have the receiver redone, buy some "nice wood". Then go out and buy a custom mold, a set of dies, and be sure to over pay for the brass. Lastly shoot it a few times, decide it's to small for long range, to expensive for prairie dogs and not really a schuetzen rifle. Put it in the safe and when conversation turns to #3's in 22 wcf say "I've got one of those if I remember correctly I bought it pretty cheap"
At least that's what I'd do Huh
Wink

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint