Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 219 Zipper problems (Read 1023 times)
jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

219 Zipper problems
Mar 6th, 2024 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
I have a recently purchased mid 50's or 60's Hepburn varmint conversion in 219 Zipper. Barrel was formally a 218 Bee but was rechambered to the Zipper round somewhere in it's life.  Finally got to shoot it today so tried reloading some ammo and am having a time with loose neck tension. The cases and Hornady dies came with it. They are Hornady 25-35 Win cases and after some measuring the necks are not reamed as they check about .010 but after resizing they will not hold a bullet. I removed the sizing bell from the die and sized one and the bullet still wouldn't hold. Done a lot of reloading but have never had this problem before. Any ideas or suggestions welcomed.

JMH

IP Logged

rifleman

Re: 219 Zipper problems
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2024 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Perhaps a neck bushing die could get you that last bit so you have some tension to hold the bullet?

IP Logged

RJE
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2024 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Had one once in a Win. model 64 but not in a highwall

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2024 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
There is a gentleman, Jim Carstensen in Belleview Iowa, that will convert your size die to a bushing neck die. He can be reached @ (563)212 2984 or jlcprec@netins.net. He does fine work, and is reasonable. Or was until the current record inflation.You might also try Winchester or Remington brass, as in my experience their brass is considerably thicker than your Hornady at 010!

rkba2nd

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2024 at 8:03am
Print Post  
Similar problems over the years have switched to neck bushing does for most anything I load. Cartridges brass dies and chambers have fairly wide variances. Stack the differences you can get  some poor fits. 

With a bushing die you can make most anything work well. There is some trial and error getting the exact bushing size. I measure everything then make a best guess on bushing  size leaning toward over sizing. Then bring the neck up to proper size with a “M” die. “M” easier to make correct size in a home shop than a bushing, particularly with smaller calibers.

Boats

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2024 at 9:23am
Print Post  
Another approach might be to make your own brass from 30-30.   A while ago I bought a highwall in 25-35.  Brass was super easy to make starting with Federal 30-30.  Not annealed, just carefully ran the once fired brass through a 25-35 sizer.  The case mouths came out thicker than your brass.  I don't remember the numbers, but I'd be happy to measure them if you want.

Running the 25-35 brass down to 219 zipper should thicken them up some more too of course.

Chris.

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 10th, 2024 at 10:35am
Print Post  
I really bought the gun for the action as it is a nice set trigger gun. I am just not a zipper kind of person but wanted to see what it would do. I did get a three shot cloverleaf group at 100 yards with the few rounds I managed to cobble up. Now it has me wanting to do more so I think I will find a piece of material and get on the lathe and try my hand at making a bushing. Lord knows I have made my share of them. Something else I noticed after getting into some good sunlight and that is I believe the barrel has been lined! It is an odd gun of sorts. Oh well lets get on the lathe and see what I can do...

JMH

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2024 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Problem I have making neck dies for small caliber cartridges is obtaining a very small boring bar. Go too small a couple thousands with a CH4D stock bushing and bring the case up to size with a home turned plug. Simple job on the lathe 

Boats

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 10th, 2024 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
I have some really small carbide ones in my tool box from my aircraft parts manufacturing days. I'll give it a try and thanks for the ideas...

JMH

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2024 at 8:38am
Print Post  
I regularly use 2-flute carbide endmills as small diameter boring bars. A diamond hone will chamfer the sharp cutting “point” .010” or so and give a much better surface finish. Dirt cheap on ebay.

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 11th, 2024 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Now that is funny cause that is exactly what I did. In my assortment of boring bars I didn't find the one I thought I had. I think I broke it somewhere along the way. I had a new 3/16 two flute carbide end mill that worked just fine. Polished it with some 600 grit paper and oil. After doing the math I needed a bushing of .240 inside diameter and after the second try I got it. First one I didn't allow for the polishing. All I had was some cold rolled material for now but I need a hardened bushing. Does anyone know of a source for hardened bushings? I need one .240 ID by either 3/8 or 1/2 OD. I can turn a die body for it. My old lead person when I worked at Boeing taught me the end mill trick. He was full of work around. Thanks guys...

JMH

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Mar 11th, 2024 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
If you could use either a 6mm (.236) or a .242, you could use headless drill bushings. Or, lap out a 6mm to .240.

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Mar 11th, 2024 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Letter B drill bushing would be .238".

<div class=

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Mar 11th, 2024 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
You know as much drill fixture tooling as I made over the years I should have thought about drill bushings. Duh me. Old age is creeping up on me it seems. Thanks again guys. Simple fix...

JMH

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint