Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Questions about a Stevens 44 1/2 .22lr (Read 696 times)
bowzette

Questions about a Stevens 44 1/2 .22lr
Feb 26th, 2024 at 9:27am
Print Post  
I bought this rifle at the Dallas gun show around 1980. I thought it was a Stevens but didn't know which model and thought it was a put together "Frankenstein" rifle for Texas Hill Country (settled by Germans in the 1840s I think) for Schuetzen matches . Several years ago I gave it to my son and it's his favorite rifle and shoots it very well. The other day I did some research and determined it is a Stevens and the rifle was built around a 44 1/2 falling block. I believed I read the 44 1/2 was manufactured from 1902-1915 or 1916 and Stevens used this action to build rifles in various calibers. I read that only about 13,000 were made. I assume not many were made in .22lr caliber? I will call Savage and see if anyone has any history on this rifle-I will be surprised if they do. I have pics below and I'm interested if any of the pieces of the rifle appear not to be original. I know the Redfield sights are not original, three of the stock screws don't appear to be original. I measured the barrel to be 25 5/8". I suspect this is shorter than when manufactured and was cut for better balance and probably at the time of installing the Redfield sights.
The barrel exterior is shiney and I assume the barrel was initially blued and has worn off? This is a heavy bull barrel. The butt plate is plastic and states "Bishop".  It shoots great, no rust and the wood is in good condition. Any information or thoughts much appreciated.

IP Logged

bowzette

Re: Questions about a Stevens 44 1/2 .22lr
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2024 at 9:30am
Print Post  
My first time posting on the forum. Something happened to the other pictures I posted. Angry  Computers and I don't play well together Cry

IP Logged

bowzette

Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2024 at 9:33am
Print Post  
One more time.  Apparently I can only post one pic at a time and no option for thumbnail pic.

IP Logged

kensmachine
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2024 at 10:47am
Print Post  
to start with it's a 44 action not a 44 1/2

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2024 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Very cool lever and double set triggers. Too bad the barrel was shortened. Stock is obviously aftermarket, post-WWII era since it's a Bishop stock. Don't waste your breath contacting Savage. Guarantee you nobody who'll answer the phone would have a clue as to what you're talking about, and the Stevens factory records have been gone for a hundred years. Post the serial number and folks here can give you a rough ballpark idea as to when the action was made.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2024 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Looks to be a 44 to me also.  Looks like it may have been blued or reblued, appears to have a purple look to the frame.   

Nice action for a 22 and looks to be a nice setup with the set triggers.  Keep having fun with it!
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2024 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Your rifle being a 44 action with double set triggers was most likely made pre 1903. The barrel being full round is also most likely not the original barrel. Any markings on the barrel? Does it have the extractor in the center or the side commonly called a 7 o'clock extractor? The serial number range would help narrow it down as said. 
Nice rifle but not original.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2024 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
If you remove the forearm, there will be numbers stamped on the front of the action.  What are they?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint