Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stevens 44 1/2 link (Read 665 times)
SBoomer
Oldtimer

Stevens 44 1/2 link
Feb 24th, 2024 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Does anyone here have data on hole spacing vs. breechblock travel? My firing pin strike is .025” low right now. Looking at the sectioned view in SSR&A, the link has gone about 30deg past top dead center at the firing position.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens 44 1/2 link
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2024 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
I don’t have the answer for you, but it can be figured out by using the Machinist handbook.  Someone that is a better machinist than me can figure it out pretty quickly, I would need to sit and study it.

I’m sure you know this already but I will mention it anyway.  If the guns head space is correct, with the angled breech block and lengthening the link around .025, you may not be able to close the action.  The barrel tenon may need refitted and chamber deepened.  If the gun is firing,  without issue, I would probably let it be.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2024 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Bob,
I appreciate the info. Shame on me for making an assumption that the firing pin would be centered after having CPA install a new breechblock, loop lever and dbl. set triggers a couple years ago. This 35/30 Maynard barrel is the first of (5) barrels that has given me firing issues. It is also the first with a large rifle primer. In thousands of shots with the other barrels and small primers, I have not had a single misfire even though the pin strike was visibly low. 3 or 4 out of 10 are misfires now. Since I’m breechseating this barrel, facing a few thou off the barrel face and deepening the rim recess to suit is a non issue. In looking at the assembly drawing, my gut feel is .001” in link hole spacing will raise the breechblock several thousandths. I am hoping someone here has been down this path.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2024 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
It's a simple trig problem.    

30 degrees over-center sounds excessive to me.  If that's really the case I'd start there.  Anything more than maybe 2-3  degrees is pulling the breechblock back down.  That would be easy to see with the naked eye.

Unless my memory needs rebooting, lengthening the hole spacing won't affect headspace or lockup, since the 44-1/2 breechblock travel is essentially normal to the barrel axis once the ramp portion of the mortise is passed.  

<div class=

IP Logged

silver

Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2024 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
I sent a 44.5 to cpa that was originally a 32-40 and wanted a 22lr
Barrel and rim fire breach block . Got it back and firing pin was putting a hole in the back of the case , hitting to high.
Sent it back , Gail told me that had to make a new link due to the fact that cpa and Stevens actions are a little different in geometry.
Not sure about the center fire blocks but I would assume it’s the same problem.

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2024 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
Assuming that the drawing is correct…….the 30deg is a quick guess. It obviously is not going to be a 1:1 movement. I didn't want to have to make “test” link. Ill call CPA Monday and see if they know. I did put an email into them Friday afternoon.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2024 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
3rd hand information can’t guarantee it’s true . Setting up CPA actions, they have links with different hole spacing. Switch them out until the correct block height is achieved. 

44 1/2 not exactly the same as a CPA however. It’s possible Stevens did it the same way switching out until correct. 

Boats

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2024 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
I fit a new CPA breech block to my original 44 1/2 by fitting the rear shoulders of the block and the the face to barrel until the firing pin hit center and then measured and figured out what spacing I needed to lock it up.  I talked to Gail and she said it is very close to 1:1.   Wound up needing .527 C to C and she had it in stock.

Regards,
Joe

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2024 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
When I started my project to make stronger links for the Model 44s, I found that my inventory of links showed a variance in hole spacing of .012.  So now when I set about a link replacement I have to measure the existing link first.  The hole spacing in the 44 link is crucial, because any variation changes the lockup.

For a 44-12, the spacing only varies the alignment of the firing pin, but I could believe that they had a selective-fit-at-assembly procedure.  I think they were already doing it for the 44.  

That 30 degrees is the angle of the toggle with respect to the plane of the breech face.  I failed to realize that's what you were talking about.  Has nothing to do with the final position of the breechblock.  Draw two lines, one between the link pin centers, and another between the lower link pin and the lever pivot center. The angle between those two lines is the critical one. Should be only a couple of degrees beyond 180 degrees when the lever is fully closed, and it probably is.  

Bottom line: if the pin strike is low, you need a link with wider spacing.  Since the angle of the toggle linkage is about 30 degrees from the plane of the breech block motion, the change in link spacing will be the amount of change you want for the firing pin x .866 (cosine 30).  (To move the pin up .010, lengthen the link spacing by .00866. )

<div class=

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2024 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
That makes sense.  Easy to imagine Stevens factory finial assembly working from  inventory with various link spacing . Can’t see the factory making calculations before fitting each action.

Boats

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Feb 25th, 2024 at 7:20am
Print Post  
Thank you all for the good info! Measurement shows I need to raise the breechblock .025” to get a center hit on a LR primer. Since SR primers have never been an issue, I think Ill go .013-.015” and see what the results are with both.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint