Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ballard Pacific info appreciated (Read 1088 times)
CRAZYDENNY

Ballard Pacific info appreciated
Feb 21st, 2024 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
  I recently acquired this rifle and am having a hard time finding info on exactly what I have here. Rifle is chambered in 40-85 and seems to be all original other than the sights.

In all my browsing I have not found pictures of any other Pacifics with the pistol grip stock or the octagon / round barrel. The stock, fore end, butt plate and barrel are all serialed to receiver so as far as I can tell this is factory configuration.

Any info greatly appreciated.  Thanks , Denny

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Re: Ballard Pacific info appreciated
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2024 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Others on this forum with more knowledge than me about Ballard rifles will be able to share more information than I can.

I will say that pistol grip Ballard Pacific rifles are known to exist, but are far from common. I don't know that I've seen a part round part octagon Pacific barrel.

Looking forward to what the experts have to say.

I think it's a very unusual rifle with all matching serial numbers.

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2024 at 12:10am
Print Post  
Like Jerry said a Pacific with a pistol grip is pretty rare. But a Pacific with a half octagon barrel is something I've never seen in 40 years collecting Ballard rifles. 
My first reaction was "is this for real?" until you said it's all matching numbers. It's a very unusual, and possibly one of a kind Pacific.
Not doubting, but I'd love to see more pictures of the half octagon barrel, and the transition from octagon to round area to ensure it wasn't turned later. Of course I'd love to see more closeup pictures of all parts of this unique Ballard!
One thing I think I see is the thimbles for the wiping rod that appear to be color cased. That's only the 3rd time I've seen a Pacific in nice enough shape to still have color case on the thimbles. Pretty neat to see that! This is my Pacific with color cased thimbles:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2024 at 12:15am by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

CRAZYDENNY

Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2024 at 7:56am
Print Post  

I will try to get more pics up this evening. Barrel measures 1.040 diameter on octagon end and tapers to .900 at the muzzle. My thought is that if it was turned afterwards it would not have been enough to eliminate the dovetails for sights and thimbles. All dovetails look to be full depth and correct width at the top. 

Thanks , Denny

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2024 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Nice clean gun !

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

CRAZYDENNY

Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2024 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Skalkaho wrote on Feb 22nd, 2024 at 9:52am:
Nice clean gun !

Thank you, I thought it was pretty sweet for a pawn shop find.

IP Logged

ssrifles
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2024 at 10:47am
Print Post  
val, i had the gun in my shop this past weekend and put the sights on it for him and his son to shoot. the gun is 100% correct except for my sights. i was concerned about the 1/2 round bbl but it is right. i have seen 1 or maybe 2 others, but not many.when i first heard about this gun i called john dutcher and he said this was the 4th pistol grip pacific.i tried to buy it but he said they were gonna keep it and shoot it. the gun is in very good shape and a near new bore.  it looks a lot better than the pictures show  tony<><

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2024 at 11:03am
Print Post  
ssrifles wrote on Feb 22nd, 2024 at 10:47am:
val, i had the gun in my shop this past weekend and put the sights on it for him and his son to shoot. the gun is 100% correct except for my sights. i was concerned about the 1/2 round bbl but it is right. i have seen 1 or maybe 2 others, but not many.when i first heard about this gun i called john dutcher and he said this was the 4th pistol grip pacific.i tried to buy it but he said they were gonna keep it and shoot it. the gun is in very good shape and a near new bore.  it looks a lot better than the pictures show  tony<><

Thanks Tony. I have seen others with PG receivers/stocks, but never a half octagon barrel. A friend of mine owned a PG Pacific with Browning Bros. rollstamp on the barrel, but accidentally sold it at Denver years ago. He had a memory lapse and told me he had two of them. I tried to argue he didn't, but he sold it, and when we got home he was heart broken when he realized I was right.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #8 - Feb 22nd, 2024 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
I can't imagine the pain he must have gone through. My God, that would be worse than accidentally selling one of your children.  Undecided

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

ssrifles
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Feb 22nd, 2024 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
i have seen 1 maybe 2 that were correct factory 1/2 oct and several that were not.  i had a 38-55 years ago and did not realize how rare it was.  education can be expensive but i learn.   tony<><

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #10 - Feb 22nd, 2024 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Feb 22nd, 2024 at 2:15pm:
I can't imagine the pain he must have gone through. My God, that would be worse than accidentally selling one of your children.  Undecided

Yeah, unfortunately we didn't realize at that time he had early stages of dimentia that has gotten worse since then. Wasn't until a few years later that he couldn't drive anymore because he got lost, or confused. He still comes to our collector shows, but just to look around. Last month he left his hat and coffee mug on my table, and I couldn't find him later to give them back. Had to take them home to him and he kinda laughed about leaving them.
We always had tables together, and traveled to all the gun shows together. Sad to see what's happening.

IP Logged

fosjam
Participating Member

Reply #11 - Apr 12th, 2024 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
I have a Ballard Rifle and Cartridge Co replica of the Pacific in 45-110 with a 15lb barrel.  It is quite something.  I'd love to have an original!  Beautiful rifle.

IP Logged

Longknife

Reply #12 - Apr 13th, 2024 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Fosjam , maybe you could start a new thread and post some pictures of it? I am sure everyone would like to see it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint