Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ladle for lead (Read 1894 times)
Mal

Re: Ladle for lead
Reply #15 - Mar 7th, 2024 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
I make mine out of used CO2 canisters ,drill out the spout to desired size, grind out a cavity toward the rear, add a handle,they work very well. Cant post pic from my iPad ,can send them via email if req. cheers Mal in au.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #16 - Mar 12th, 2024 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Mal wrote on Mar 7th, 2024 at 4:40pm:
I make mine out of used CO2 canisters ,drill out the spout to desired size, grind out a cavity toward the rear, add a handle,they work very well. Cant post pic from my iPad ,can send them via email if req. cheers Mal in au.

EXCELLENT!
One could also add a baffle to make it a Rowell style to stop the crud off the top.

Drilling the spout?  YES!  I've opened up both the Lyman/Ideal and the RCBS greater flow rate for the larger bullets.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #17 - Mar 13th, 2024 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Tried the RCBS and went back to the Lyman which has successfuly poured thousands of bullets for me over the  decades.

The RCBS nose spout never fit my sprue plates very well.

Could be the mould makers designed their sprue plates to fit the most prevalent dipper being used.

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Mar 13th, 2024 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Turn a conical recess in a piece of brass rod, put some abrasive compound in the recess, and run it in the drill press at a low speed.  Oscillate the nose of the dipper spout in that, and it will grind it to a spherical surface, eliminating leakage when it is engaged with the mould.   When you tip it away from the mould, pour an ample puddle on the sprue plate to keep the plate the hottest part of the mould.   Test your technique by placing a bullet just below center in a vise, and pare off lead 'til you reach the center, to see if there is a void.
CHRIS

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint