Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Pedersoli Rolling Blocks? (Read 1503 times)
awp101

Pedersoli Rolling Blocks?
Jan 29th, 2024 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
In my ongoing searches of the forum as I try to research whatever harebrained project comes into my head before starting a new thread, I've run across several mentions of Pedersoli Rolling Blocks being...subpar.  Particularly the Navy Arms imports.

What I haven't seen (to the best of my recollection at least) is what the actual (or perceived) problems were and if they were corrected in later years.

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

The Wheels of Justification grind slowly but inexorably

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Pedersoli Rolling Blocks?
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2024 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
I have no experience with those marked and sold by Navy Arms, but those marked Pedersoli have a very good reputation, and I've had friends who bought them and were very happy with accuracy, fit and finish.
I think like many "store branded" firearms there are sometimes corners cut in quality of wood, or various steps to make them sell cheaper. This may be the case with the Navy Arms versions.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2024 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Like many products, the problems depend on the era when the product was made.

When Pedersoli first got into the replica business, they did primarily cheap blackpowder muzzleloader replicas.  The fit and finish was poor, and metal quality was low and heat treatment was non-existent.  They then began producing rolling block actions.  The quality was about the same as the muzzleloaders.  A lot of those early actions were sold to Navy Arms to sell in the US.

The actions had one major problem pretty universally, and that was that the metal was not hardened.  The breech blocks distorted from the hammer, and the hammer nose mushroomed.  This was extreme enough that sometimes the firing pin would stick, and when the breech block was snapped closed on a cartridge, it would fire the cartridge, with the breech block free to rotate back, self ejecting the cartridge.  Usually it deflected off the block and hammer and missed the shooter, but sometimes it went into the shooters face.

A second problem was that Pedersoli in their wisdom redesigned the hammer/block geometry slightly.  An original Remington has a perfectly tangential relationship between the concave block surface and the convex hammer surface.  It just slip fits the entire hammer rotation into battery under the block.  Pedersoli cut the hammer with a slight "cam" to it, so that it cleared the block initially and got tighter as it fell.  This was intended to slightly cam the cartridge in, and help with misfires from tight cartridges, I presume.  The result of this though, was that if the hammer surface was oiled, the hydraulic pressure when the breech block pushed back on the hammer under pressure would cam the hammer back, allowing the block to open and self eject the case, again sometimes into the shooters face.  The firing pin pushing the hammer nose back upon ignition would start the hammer moving, and the hydraulic pressure on the cam would complete the process.  Lee Shaver at one time offered a service where he would weld up and regrind Pedersoli rolling blocks to correct the problem.

At some time in their manufacturing, Pedersoli started hardening their rifle parts, and also improved both the steel quality and the quality of the manufacturing.  Eventually they lived down the early reputation and got a decent reputation for acceptable quality "for the price".  They also corrected the camming hammer problem very quickly, as soon as some shooter experiences identified it as a problem.

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2024 at 4:16am
Print Post  
My experience with them from 30 years ago is not good, hammers were soft and peened. In those days though customer service was ok and it was not difficult to get a replacement.

fast forward to today and CS has gone out the window. Lots of their 1874's went out the door with percussion levers that lack the lug on the bottom to operate the ejector and position the block for loading. Try getting a replacement lever for a Ped 1874, lucky if you get one response from them but you won't get a part.

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

awp101

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2024 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Thanks all, that certainly fills in some gaps in my knowledge!   

It also pushes me towards an actual RRB if it’s an online purchase I can’t check out beforehand but that’s not without its own risks either.

The Wheels of Justification grind slowly but inexorably

IP Logged

silver

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2024 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
I’ve got a John bodine roller made in 2003 and it is very accurate.
I have fired several 100 rounds though it and the only problem 
I ever had was the main spring cracked. I put a new main spring in 
8 years ago and it has been a very good riffle. Don’t get me wrong
Fitment of wood is no shiloh but it only cost 1200.00 back then.
I did replace sights to a hoke long range in rear and lee shaver
Spirit level on front.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2024 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
I was unimpressed by the old ones that (I think) were sold as actions by Navy Arms back in the 70s and 80s.  They had brass triggerguards and when the hammer was cocked there was an open space below the breechblock.  It looked like when the hammer fell, only about half the engagement area held the block in place, compared to a real Remington.  The overall shape appeared “off,” compared to a “real” one, as well.

The rifle I saw made up on the action was owned by a friend, in .50-70.  It seemed to shoot all right, but was no thing of beauty.

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2024 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
My Pedersoli target model rolling block shot very good if I loaded right and did my part. I wish I had never had to part with it.

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

DRJ

Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Some years ago I was on GB and saw a RB that I bought. It was a Remington RB in .45-70 by Pedersoli and was sold by Dixie Gun Works. It did not have a long barrel (26") but is attractive to me.

Here is a Pedersoli Rolling Block Buffalo Rifle in 45-70 Gov. From Dixie Gun Works: A copy of the famous Remington Rolling Block which saw sporting and military action all over the world for over 50 years. Features American walnut buttstock and forearm with satin finish, 2 3/4" drop and 14 3/4" trigger pull. Chambered for 45/70, blued 26" barrel tapered octagon to round 1.125" at breech to .950" at muzzle. Cut rifling .004" deep with 1-22" twist, 6 lands measure .450" and 6 grooves .458. Front sight is 3/8" dovetail blued steel base steel blade, rear sight is 3/8" dovetail blued steel open curl top. Brass furniture color casehardened receiver, single trigger. Drilled and taped for for tang sight 4mmx.7, 1 1/2" center to center. Use 45/70 black powder cartridges or smokeless factory loads. Overall length 42 3/4" and total weight 10 lbs. Made by Pedersoli in Italy. It is preowned But in excellent condition and looks un-fired.

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2024 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Bent_Ramrod wrote on Jan 30th, 2024 at 6:54pm:
I was unimpressed by the old ones that (I think) were sold as actions by Navy Arms back in the 70s and 80s.  They had brass triggerguards and when the hammer was cocked there was an open space below the breechblock.  It looked like when the hammer fell, only about half the engagement area held the block in place, compared to a real Remington.  The overall shape appeared “off,” compared to a “real” one, as well.

The rifle I saw made up on the action was owned by a friend, in .50-70.  It seemed to shoot all right, but was no thing of beauty.

As I recall Navy Arms sold complete rifles and actions. They also had Siamese Mauser actions they were pushing for rebuilding into 45-70's. I bought a new NA roller in 444 Marlin in 1974 from a gun shop in San Diego. It shot ok but only had a 24 inch barrel and I really wanted a 45-70..

IP Logged

UpNorthCountry
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Apr 11th, 2024 at 8:45am
Print Post  
The earlier ones I have been told had/have a very generous chamber size and length compared to a very tight but well
Made tapered bore. My 1874 per sharps measures .455 but a large chamber.

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 11th, 2024 at 10:43am
Print Post  
I think what turns me off the most (besides a lack of customer support) with the Ped roller is the odd pistol grip, doesn't look like anything Remington produced that I have seen. Same goes though for the C. Sharps and Shilohs with double set triggers and pistol grip stocks, just look odd to me.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #12 - Apr 11th, 2024 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
The Pedersoli Rolling Blocks have a much tighter curve to the bend on their lower tangs, so not as graceful as original pistol gripped Remington Rolling Block rifles.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Apr 12th, 2024 at 9:48am
Print Post  
I find the curve fugely!

IP Logged

JHand
Participating Member

Reply #14 - Apr 24th, 2024 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
My wife shoots a pedersoli "bodine" rolling block that she really likes for silhouette. She has kicked my butt with it before

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint