Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Special Ballard Parts (Read 7839 times)
GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Special Ballard Parts
Reply #75 - Jul 29th, 2024 at 9:25am
Print Post  
on a couple of them I was ambitious and did a blind screw but this one I was lazy, a screw from the outside.

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #76 - Jul 29th, 2024 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
That looks like it works well and the tip looks nice.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #77 - Aug 17th, 2024 at 1:50am
Print Post  
Nothing really fitting the title of the post, just some more mundane Ballard build functions, applying all my recent mods into this one.  I'm scrambling trying to get this one shooting in time for a match next month (somewhat like the better half, has to have a new dress for next occasion...  Smiley  )  I don't want to show up shooting rifle I've shot in a match already Grin besides I need to try out the new brass and see if process is any good.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #78 - Aug 17th, 2024 at 11:12am
Print Post  
Looks like a nice piece of English and that brass looks good Greg.

Out of curiosity, what are the specs on the barrel?  It’s a chamber that interests me as a second barrel on a gun.  Got a reamer now, just need brass, but I’m in no hurry so we will see what comes up.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

idjeffp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #79 - Aug 17th, 2024 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Yes! Cool project Greg... Love that you were able to form that .28-30 brass from ever so common .30-'06 brass! 

Are you planning to shoot BP or smokeless in this one?

That's a tasty chocolate ribbon swirl piece of English. Should look NICE when finished up too Smiley

Thanks again for sharing...
Jeff P

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #80 - Aug 17th, 2024 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys.
Bob, 
I went with a GM 7mm and it'll finish at 26", slugs at .2842-.2844 with a 1:10 twist.   
Should make a fair offhand rifle, the muzzle measures .850 across the flats, other than weight loss with the bore size, I have a 22 with similar dimensions that holds well for me.

My reamer for this cartridge is still in the grinder and a few thousandths large.  I had to make a few more cartridges as I wanted to make sure I had my sizes coinciding. I have a few pieces of different makers brass and even after F.L. sizing them they're all over the place.  They'll all blow out to fit eventually but I'll cut the chamber to fit the stuff I make close as possible.

All but mine and some of the Peters brass use a small primer so that'll involve some more experimenting.

Jeff,
Making this brass from '06 isn't for the meek, I am developing a process and the scrap is reducing.  The price the cartridge places are asking for turned brass is cheap compared to what anybody attempting this would charge, but the cases made this way closely compare to everlasting brass.  Case weight from the '06 parent are 75 to 85 grains heavier than original or turned brass so capacity is severely reduced - burning smokeless it's not an issue, trying to burn black might be a problem to get similar velocities, for that alone I'm going to stick with smokeless. 
Greg

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #81 - Aug 25th, 2024 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Hello Greg, what a project you have going! The inside of your action looks like a Swiss watch, great work.
Cheers Richard

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #82 - Aug 25th, 2024 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Another amazing build Greg! Less than a month to get to a shooting rifle is really ambitious and amazing too!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Send TopicPrint