Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Special Ballard Parts (Read 7686 times)
LRF
Oldtimer

Re: Special Ballard Parts
Reply #60 - Jul 19th, 2024 at 6:49am
Print Post  
Nice job GT. 
In the past I have done some "casting in place" with pewter on my Pipe Tomahawks and it can be tricky. When doing this the learning curve is rather steep. Smiley
For my efforts I used the pewter that was available thru Track of the Wolf. I say was because just checking their website now shows out of stock

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #61 - Jul 19th, 2024 at 6:57am
Print Post  
I've done pewter tips on muzzle loaders. I Swiss cheese the wood with as many 1/8" holes that I can get away with, as many that go "through and through", ie: from under the pewter and into the barrel channel, and I put a small chamfer on the holes that break into the atmosphere (hidden) to provide more mechanical grip/advantage. I too strictly employ cereal box cardboard as a mold and bind it with blue masking tape.

A fella has to have the "courage of his convictions" when he starts the pour, and not stop partway through and re-start. That will surely make for a wrinkle or void. Always melt way more metal than you think you'll need. I like Greg's suggestion of stirring with a wooden stick for temperature control, I gotta remember that.

I prefer my metal to be as lead-free as possible to make it as hard as possible. A soft fore arm tip or inlay will dent easier in use than a hard one - just my theory. I threaten to do the next one with straight tin, if I do another. "Old pewter" will have a high(er) lead content than "new pewter".

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #62 - Jul 19th, 2024 at 11:48am
Print Post  
I’ve done many pewter tips and also use what Track sells.  

When a toothpick turns dark brown, when inserted the pewter, it’s ready to pour.

I dam with modeling clay, use cereal box and painters tape.  

I’ve also found pouring well oversized.  Doing this usual gets you away from voids and other surface defects.  Pewter is soft and is easily cut down and rough shaped with a worn out of cheap rasp, like a Nicholson 49…non USA made.

I also tape newspaper around just below the mold and at least extending past the back of the action.  If your mold breaks or leaks you don’t end up with pewter in the action parts.  On a muzzleloader its especially important to get the ramrod hole sealed.  Would be a real mess with pewter filling that hole.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Bigskybob

Reply #63 - Jul 19th, 2024 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Hi Bob
So true on the ramrod hole.  The first one I ever did was my S. Hawken and when everything was ready I pulled the rod and filled er up.  Thought it took a little more than I figured.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #64 - Jul 19th, 2024 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
I usually wrap a proper size dowel with foil until it seals up the hole.

Here’s the only gun I have ever taken pictures of this process on.

Sorry Greg, didn’t mean to muck up you thread!
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #65 - Jul 19th, 2024 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Bob, 
It's not an issue and I encourage participation in my posts, even with topics straying off topic- like I never stray... Cheesy only on days that end in "Y".

Further off topic from "special Ballard parts" - one interesting bit of advice I got for material for this process, the more lead alloy used, causes darker finish, potential for alloy expansion (causing cracking)and corrosion around the edges.

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #66 - Jul 20th, 2024 at 6:03am
Print Post  
I do not think you can buy "new" pewter for casting that contains lead anymore. To many environmental laws against it. Apparently the "Gods" in Washington and else where are afraid you will be out sucking on your forearm tip while at the range or hunting. Funny, of all the hours I have spent at those, I can't remember once every licking my gun let alone sucking on the forearm tip.  Smiley Aren't we lucky to have such caring folks in Washington.

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #67 - Jul 21st, 2024 at 7:22am
Print Post  
Have any of you done it with Cerrosafe? I've looked longingly at the stuff when contemplating a pewter tip. I also have a big chunk of something imprinted as being "ACA Ostalloy 158", a bismuth alloy that supposedly melts at 158 degrees and is used to fixture parts for machining. I reckon it to behave similarly to Cerrosafe but don't trust it to supplant Cerrosafe for chamber casts but wondered about its utility for a fore arm tip. 

I mainly wonder if a gun barrel could theoretically get hot enough to adversely effect a bismuth alloy fore arm tip?

I also use "pewter" occasionally for decorative butts on knife handles.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #68 - Jul 21st, 2024 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
I have used cerrosafe on several rifles over the years. No problems and works well.
Only issue is the mold must be perfect. It will leak through the slightest gap, even penetrates the pores of the wood.
Chuck

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #69 - Jul 21st, 2024 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
In a previous job I had, the rebuilding of babbitt bearings for large DC generators and motors was an occasional job I had, puddling the bearings is what we called it.  If the bond to the bearing shell was still secure, the bearing was built up with a small oxy-act torch and babbitt wire.   
I had some voids on my pour and the edges didn't fill out completely, the jeweler's torch I had worked well for this and there was a little flash-back to those earlier days.  Still have a little more work to finish this nose cap and I may be inspired to do a small pour in the grip cap and a diamond around the forend screw... Like I said, a hack with no direction. Grin Grin

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #70 - Jul 22nd, 2024 at 11:35am
Print Post  
You did really good on patching that.  I’ve done some repair and always have issues, usually get it done but but it isn’t pretty.  This is my reasoning for an oversized mold, trying to avoid holes and such.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #71 - Jul 23rd, 2024 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Whenever I do a pewter nose cap or other pewter pour I have an electric soldering iron ready to help fill any voids and pinholes. It just melts a small area and allow me to fill it in without burning the surrounding wood. I fill any voids while the metal is still warm from casting. I use a high tin content babbitt.

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #72 - Jul 27th, 2024 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Icast this one in 1996 for my Pop. Copy of Honake
built in Raliegh County W Virginia before Civil War. I used bar solder. 
moodyhollet

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #73 - Jul 28th, 2024 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Here's the next path of wasted time I'll share - rather than cast a forend cap - of brass, I decided I'd machine one from some scrap lying around... I had a steel casting to model one from.  None of my pics show the current state - I'll try to remember to share that  later.  The butt plate is brass so I thought the other end should be also.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #74 - Jul 28th, 2024 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Well….isn’t that interesting.  How are you going to make it stick to the wood?
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Send TopicPrint