Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) early highwall in 25-35 (Read 1298 times)
gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

early highwall in 25-35
Nov 7th, 2023 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Here is what could be an interesting 1885 single shot.  I'll have to get a letter for this one.

It looks to be built in 1896, leaf spring action, blued, close coupled double set triggers. #3 round barrel in 25-35 with British proof marks.  If it's an original 25-35 then it's a very early one.  According to Bert H, there were exactly 64 of them made in 25-35 up until detailed records aren't available.  He's found several more of them in later serial numbers in his survey.  I imagine there were more made later than earlier though due to them being a smokeless cartridge. 

However, either the barrel or the buttstock has been swapped.  The barrel has a factory swivel mount, but the buttstock doesn't.  I'm guessing it's the buttstock that was broken and swapped later, only because there are a lot more buttstocks than 25-35 highwall barrels.  I'm pretty confident that the tang is original to the action because the fit is perfect.  I haven't had it apart yet though.

It will be interesting to get the letter and see how messed with the rifle actually is.    

Chris.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: early highwall in 25-35
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2023 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Nice looking rifle Chris.   

You can ship it to me for sure.  Do you need my address?  Not really a BP gun you know.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
Plethora?  You say I have a plethora?.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2023 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
bpjack wrote on Nov 7th, 2023 at 7:06pm:
Nice looking rifle Chris.  

You can ship it to me for sure.  Do you need my address?  Not really a BP gun you know.

Jack

Well let me shoot it a couple of times before I send it over Smiley

Chris.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 7th, 2023 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Let me know.  I can pick it up.  I will pack my bags and be waiting at the border.

ASSRA # 11318

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 7th, 2023 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Do let me know how your triggers work. The rifle I got from Gunrunner auction had a VERY stiff to set rear trigger. A thinner spring from a great forum member made it acceptable but it seems stiffer than most of my SST actions.  I took off the barrel (30-40) and haven’t decided what to put on it. It is a coil spring and may be a better fit for some of my heavy barrels. Enjoy it Chris. It would be a good rifle to shoot in the ISSA 25 cal match at the Stars and Stripes range in 9 mile falls. 

Jack

ASSRA # 11318

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2023 at 2:52am
Print Post  
Jack,
I have a CCDST HW and it's stiff to set, I've tried others with the same results but, you find that the biggest issue will be the back side of your thumb, at the nail. There is not enough space, in the regular lever, to set it comfortably.

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2023 at 9:04am
Print Post  
My action has the later Schuetzen lever and seems to have room for my fat thumb

ASSRA # 11318

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2023 at 9:12am
Print Post  
My set trigger takes only light pressure to set, less than the average single set trigger.   This is only the second 1885 with the close coupled triggers.  I sold the first one and don't remember how much pressure was required to set it, but the pull was nice.

If the rifle doesn't letter, I might try and put a standard double set trigger into it.  A while ago I found a couple of complete double set trigger tangs completely assembled and ready to drop in.  As far as I know, the close coupled triggers use the same long tailed sear as the standard double sets so it might just drop in.

Chris.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2023 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the feedback.  I need to put a barrel on my action and shoot it.  Too many rifles and not enough good weather lately.  I spent 5 hours at the range this morning.  Things went from good (22 Ballard) to getting there (25 Hornet) to a disappointment (33-47)

Jack

ASSRA # 11318

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Nov 17th, 2023 at 1:43am
Print Post  
Gunlaker, that's a real nice find and I reckon the British proof marks are an added bonus. I sometimes see boxes of Kynoch .25/35 WCF here in Oz so the Brits were producing & exporting the cartridge.
Even with a worn barrel my HW in that chambering shoots really well. Enjoy.

Spud

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #10 - Nov 17th, 2023 at 8:50am
Print Post  
I think you're right about the buttstock being swapped Chris, as the British hated crescent buttplates, and almost every US made rifle I've seen that went to Great Britain had a shotgun style buttplate on it. Even small .22 caliber rifles that came standard with crescent buttplates got shotgun buttplates when ordered by British dealers.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Nov 17th, 2023 at 9:54am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Nov 17th, 2023 at 8:50am:
I think you're right about the buttstock being swapped Chris, as the British hated crescent buttplates, and almost every US made rifle I've seen that went to Great Britain had a shotgun style buttplate on it. Even small .22 caliber rifles that came standard with crescent buttplates got shotgun buttplates when ordered by British dealers.

Thanks, I did not know that.  I will have a closer look at it this weekend if I have time, and take it apart to see what's been messed with.  I don't know about your experiences in America, but almost every highwall I've picked up here in Canada has been messed with at some point in time. 

I have a set of dies on the way so I'll be able to shoot it soon!

Chris.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint