Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Black powder measures - Harrell’s - MVA? (Read 1338 times)
Old Vark WSO
Participating Member

Black powder measures - Harrell’s - MVA?
Oct 25th, 2023 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
I’m looking to change how I charge my cases with black powder and wondering if anyone has any experience with the Harrell’s Classic Culver Black Powder Measure or the Montana Vintage Arms black powder dispenser?  For several years now, I have been using an RCBS Chargemaster Combo, which works great, until it dies - today was the third time. RCBS no longer repairs these units, and the one place I’ve found that does is not inexpensive.  So thought I’d post this here and see what opinions are out there on these two options.   

Thanks - OVW

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Black powder measures - Harrell’s - MVA?
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2023 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
I have them both.   I prefer the MVA for black powder.  I only use the Harrells for smokeless these days.

The MVA works better with coarser granulations and is easier to clean up afterward. My Harrell's would sometimes jam up on FFg and won't work at all with Swiss Fg.

However, with Goex FFFg Express the Harrells gave the most consistent charges.   

My Harrells black powder measure works very well with IMR-4227 though Smiley

Chris.

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2023 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
I have found that my Lyman 55 measure works Very Well
with 1.5, 2, 3f BP. NO hanging up. In fact, the measure slide
has graduations on it for BP. It is very close for an old dense lot of Swiss 1.5. Just a little off on more recent less dense lots.
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

Old Vark WSO
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2023 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies.

Chris - your experience matches what I have read on other forums - especially for the 1F.  I shoot Swiss 1 1/2 almost exclusively and if your Harrell’s hangs up on 2F, that would give me pause for thought.  Their website doesn’t show a black powder measure - but I have seen them listed for sale on other websites.   

Arnie - I just happen to have a vintage Lyman 55 and have used it to load pistol rounds the few times I shot black powder in cowboy action shooting.  I may give it a try on my big cases before I decide on something new.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2023 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
I have a Lyman 55 and the MVA.

The Lyman 55 works considerably better with fine ball smokeless powders.

My MVA black powder measure works the best for throwing BP.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2023 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
I use the same Harrell's Premium 120 gr. powder measure I load smokeless with and no issues. I used my Lyman 55 with brass hopper before and it worked good, but tried my Harrels just because it's easier to change powders with the extra hopper bottles I have.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 26th, 2023 at 2:35am
Print Post  
I would have to argue, that the B&M, visible measure, would exceed the accuracy of all others.

There are little slower but, if accuracy is your aim, B&M will be your game Smiley

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 26th, 2023 at 9:01am
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Oct 26th, 2023 at 2:35am:
I would have to argue, that the B&M, visible measure, would exceed the accuracy of all others.

There are little slower but, if accuracy is your aim, B&M will be your game Smiley

The MVA is a copy of the B&M as far as I can tell. 

Chris.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 26th, 2023 at 9:20am
Print Post  
I second the B&M for BP.  I use a Harrels for fine smokeless and a Redding for extruded powders since it shears the grains easier. 
My B&M had the handle and spring removed. I shuttle the lower dispenser back and forth with my fingers.  And yes, I do accidentally drop some into a tray just below the opening.  It is just as fast as my other measures. 

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
Plethora?  You say I have a plethora?.

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Oct 26th, 2023 at 9:53am
Print Post  
The B&M powder measure FORCES the operator to run it correctly.   A drum-type measure properly operated, i.e., without banging the handle around, will give as good results.

CHRIS

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Oct 26th, 2023 at 10:24am
Print Post  
The 55  taken apart and buffed up then set all the scales so it is a square  drop...no steps, works fantastic.  Each one set for a load and locked down. I had 8 at one time all set for different BP loads. Cheap 
Also have the B&M and they are slower and very accurate as you guys above state..... Big dump of snow here last night...to early

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

Lead Pot

Reply #11 - Oct 26th, 2023 at 10:51am
Print Post  
I never used a B&M so I cant judge them, but I have two 55 Lymans one old and the newer one from the 90's but basically they are the same except the old one has a plastic hopper and the newer one has an aluminum and once you learn to adjust them properly and how to properly drop the powder they are very good. 
The one I use the most is an old Redding I been using 50?? some years and it's showing use and last month I broke the threads off the hopper and I have to try to cut some new using the lathe. Cheesy 
The way to get the most out of the Lyman is not using the fine adjustment for black powder, set the course as close as you can. The fine adjustment leaves unused room under the plate that will not fill properly if the powder don't get vibrated under it to fill completely.
Raise the lever to fill the drum hit the clapper a couple times then drop the lever filling the case. This will give you accuracy and little use for the trickler for exact weight.
The Redding has the best accuracy but again you have to fill the drum and use the clapper to settle the powder in the drum before dropping the lever to fill the case. It's very precise with black powder. But I don't know if you can still find them for sale.

IP Logged

Old Vark WSO
Participating Member

Reply #12 - Oct 26th, 2023 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Thanks again for all the replies and ideas.  My understanding is also that the MVA measure is a copy of the old B&M measure.  I will test my Lyman 55 to see how repeatable the drops are with 1 1/2F.  And I will get in touch with Cheryl at MVA to see what the lead time is on a one of their measures.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Oct 26th, 2023 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
I have two of those first model Redding's. I think they would work well with BP. They load straight vertical and dump the same way. They have a large piston so, I haven't used them very much but, when I got them, I tested them with large grained smokeless and they tested well.

One is new and the other was well used and had slop between the scroll pin and piston. I put a coil spring under it and it works as well as the new one.

BUT, of course, there would be a explosion every few minutes if you use a cast iron to cast iron or steel measure Smiley

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Oct 26th, 2023 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
My B&M is for sale. Send a message if interested.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #15 - Oct 26th, 2023 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
The old Ideal No.6 measure is a good for both black and smokeless powders. It's quite handy for duplex loading  Wink

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

Ray_Newman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Oct 26th, 2023 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
I never could get the Lyman #55 to work well.

Tried Black Powder in my B&M and it worked very well, except that I need to clean it up before I could use it with Smokeless.

About 8-9 years ago I purchased the MVA -- a B&M clone. Works very well and I recommend it.

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

John Rigby

Reply #17 - Oct 26th, 2023 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Another vote for B&M

John Rigby

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Oct 27th, 2023 at 6:51am
Print Post  
My opinion Harrell’s is the best for smokeless powders. Belding and Mull for BP, however the MVA ought to be a good one too.

I sold my two Lyman 55’s one unaltered other customized at some point. Both threw good charges adjustments not as easy to use as B&M or Harrell’s.  They can be dialed in from notes in my measure-charge book quickly.

Chris’s point B&M’s spring action is important. Any measure, Harrell’s included, can throw inconsistent if the operation is inconsistent. Spring eliminates operator error.

Boats

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #19 - Oct 27th, 2023 at 9:49am
Print Post  
I gave up many years ago trying to find a consistently accurate BP measure. 
Weighed to a tenth of a grain after thrown from a measure is how I do it. Any one of several different types in my accumulation. The B&M measure works excellent for filling cases with Puf-lon.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Oct 27th, 2023 at 10:32am
Print Post  
Still using my Puff-Lon....no longer available

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Oct 27th, 2023 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Fillers --- I have discovered that amaranth-seed from the health-food store makes a really excellent filler.   It is hard, 1mm diameter spheres, and measures great thru a powder measure.   One can dump it on top of the powder with a powder-measure, then compress to the desired level.   The seeds are not damaged in the process. (talking about BP loads, here.)

CHRIS

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Oct 27th, 2023 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Chris put me on to the amaranth seen and it really works well. It measures easily and accurately and I reduce a 120 grain capacity case to 85 grains of powder and then do compression. The only wad used is on top of the amaranth before compression.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint