Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Throat reamer? (Read 830 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Throat reamer?
Sep 18th, 2023 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Anyone know of a company that sells or rents throat reamers? 
I have a .40-65 Win. Hepburn that I had rebarreled, and recently loaded some heavy 410 gr. bullets and discovered the throat wont quite let me chamber the loaded cartridges. I can use a case seater to push them in that last bit and engrave bullets into the rifling, but without doing that I can't chamber these longer bullets.
Looked around a bit but can't find what I need to open up the throat. Barrel is a Green Mountain .410" groove diameter.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Throat reamer?
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2023 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
I rented a .416 throating reamer from these guys i'm not sure what size their .40 is though?

IP Logged

KFW
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2023 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Before I removed metal I would try a bullet with a different ogive especially if you are that close to seating the loaded round now. Can you borrow a few from someone to try?
kw

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2023 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
That is what I had to do on a 40-50 BN. I couldn't chamber the bullet I wanted to shoot in it so I had to change styles. Same weight just a little different on the nose.

JMH

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2023 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Careful with that throating reamer. Had to rework a Brochardt that someone had screwed up the chamber with a throating reamer.
Chuck

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2023 at 9:50am
Print Post  
I have 4 molds in .40 caliber that I cast with, and they are 315, 350, 370, and this RCBS 410 gr. All the lighter bullets chamber fine and no interference issues. If I seated this bullet any deeper it would chamber fine, but I'm already at the point where the ogive of the bullet is beginning to be inside the case mouth. This loaded cartridge fits both my Rolling Block, and Ballard rifles chambered in .40-65, with the Ballard having to slightly finish chambering as I close the lever. The Roller drops in and no issues at all.
It's very close to going in, and I think a different design might still be an issue if it's as heavy as this bullet. The RCBS is a flat nose design, with the rest being close to a Snover shape.

IP Logged

joelpend
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2023 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
You could try a softer alloy possibly. This would allow the bullet to engrave in the rifling pretty easy. Something in the 9 bhn area. If you rent a throater then you would need pilot bushings so you could get close to bore dia for guidance. Easy to screw up a throat in a rifle.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint