Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stretch marks ? Updated results (Read 1275 times)
oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Stretch marks ? Updated results
Aug 25th, 2023 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Recently took ownership of a 44S #1 Rolling block.  A box of converted 348 brass came with it.  I am reasonably sure the brass was not fired in the rifle. and on inspection, they all had   ringlike marks  near the rim   and a stretch mark  a bit further up.    I don't have anything like this on my  other 348 converted to .44-77 brass.  I am wondering if this is safe to shoot.   Hope the picture shows the marks 
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2024 at 9:43pm by oughtsix »  

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stretch marks ?
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2023 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
That looks like a bad chamber to me!

Stretch marks on a RB are only on one side of the case.

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2023 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
I had an 8.15x46R that the back of the chamber had similar marks from somebody using a drill to try get out a separated case.The case  neck was still in the chamber when I got it so luckily the throat was fine.Brass looked just like yours.

IP Logged

oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2023 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
So a chamber cast  does not show anything but a smooth chamber.   All 20 pieces of brass   have  the marks that go all around the case.  some of them have a slight but noticeable smaller diameter at the rim, like it has been pulled.  the shoulders of the brass do not line up with the chamber cast,  that's why I  don't think they were ever fired in this rifle.   

Once again, are they safe?

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2023 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
I think they should be safe. But I'd polish the area smooth by spinning them, and using emery paper to smooth those lines off. If left the case life will likely be reduced, and may eventually get head separations at those lines. I've removed them before and gotten good life out of cases like these once I smoothed them.
I just turned a steel rod to fit the case neck closely, and then chucked them in my drill press by the neck. Used a fine file to knock the ridges off, and then 320 grit to polish them.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

notlwonk

Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2023 at 8:22am
Print Post  
They don't look like stretch marks, looks more like they've been filed. Those marks go right up to the rim and that's where the web is. The only stretch marks I've seen are ahead of the web and are much shorter and the surface  'texture' is completely different from what I see in the photo. You can make a tool to feel the inside of the case to check for stretch. A piece of heavy piano wire with the end bent 90* works well.
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2023 at 8:35am by notlwonk »  

IP Logged

kensmachine
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2023 at 8:55am
Print Post  
to make 348 work in 44-77 you need to turn the base down this looks like a poor turning job to me ken

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 26th, 2023 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
A stretch mark on the outside is typically a narrow circumferential band of what looks like shiny crystallization maybe 3/16" from the base the shell.

If you want to make sure, straighten a paper clip and with pliers bend about 1/8" of one end 90 degrees to the rest of it.  Insert this into the case mouth and rub it against the inside case wall, up and down around the circumference of the inside of the shell.  If you feel a groove or dent down there, it's stretching.  If not, you are good to go on using the shell.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 26th, 2023 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
My guess base has been turned to fit the chamber using a less than ideal method. Many adapted cases need to be relieved at the web. It’s solid brass and will not size.  I also use the hook scraping inside method to see if separation is developing 

Thing I like to do figuring out case fits paint it with a black sharpie. Tight fit  scrapes it off & gives a clue what’s going on.

All this pontificating, without seeing the job in person. 

Boats
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2023 at 8:02pm by boats »  

IP Logged

MikeK
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Aug 27th, 2023 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Bent_Ramrod wrote on Aug 26th, 2023 at 4:08pm:
A stretch mark on the outside is typically a narrow circumferential band of what looks like shiny crystallization maybe 3/16" from the base the shell.

If you want to make sure, straighten a paper clip and with pliers bend about 1/8" of one end 90 degrees to the rest of it.  Insert this into the case mouth and rub it against the inside case wall, up and down around the circumference of the inside of the shell.  If you feel a groove or dent down there, it's stretching.  If not, you are good to go on using the shell.

This!

IP Logged

oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Re: Stretch marks ? Updated results
Reply #10 - Jul 15th, 2024 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Here's what  two of the three  stretch marked cases look like with my black powder load.  If I had been really smart, there would not have been a second shot.   The first and third had these splits around the base.  The other 17 pieces of brass went into the trash. 

the only good ( funny) part of this was that when  all the onlookers saw the brass, they all wandered off and watched from a distance Smiley

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jul 15th, 2024 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
kensmachine wrote on Aug 26th, 2023 at 8:55am:
to make 348 work in 44-77 you need to turn the base down this looks like a poor turning job to me ken

I’m sure this is the explanation of the markings.   The 348’s need to have the base diameter reduced to work in that chamber.   If they are turned down too much, that may account for the burst cartridge case.

CHRIS

IP Logged

oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #12 - Jul 15th, 2024 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Back to hunt for more brass …….

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jul 15th, 2024 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Like the food business. When in doubt throw it out... Piece of mind is worth far more than the price of new brass.

JMH

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint