Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Getting close! (Read 1652 times)
oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Getting close!
Aug 18th, 2023 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Sometime back a #2 Ballard action refitted with double set triggers was offered here and I bit and bought it. I wanted an original barrel and I figured it would have to be lined. I found two sources of barrels from a "wanted" request on the list. One was fairly close (in western terms) so I drove up to see Tony in Wyoming. We tried a few on for size and I picked a 28 inch one in 32 Long and also got a front sight like the one I had on my other Ballard. After some effort with my Swiss files I got it fitted and got one of the spare extractors that had been supplied with the action fitted to the barrel. One of the nice guys on the list loaned me a 32 S&W Long reamer and I chambered it just to see how bad the barrel actually was. 32 S&W Long was decided on because I have an excellent 32-20 already and this was a #2 action so I wanted to be kind to it and also the S&W sounded like fun. I sent the barreled action off to Oregunsmithing and Wayne York was to line it with a .312 liner and chamber it to 32 S&W Long. Previously I had ordered some wood from Gail at CPA and had fitted it to the barrel and action and finished it in English oil. The lined barrel and action arrived back from Wayne and it was a beautifully done job. Naturally I had no sooner attached the fore end when the rifle slid of the bench and dinged the wood so I will have to refinish that part but first I wanted to see how it shoots. I am almost through loading 50 rounds with 6 different powders and with 3 different loads for 2 of them. Some of the loads are in the 2 grain range and they are finicky to handle. So, in the next few days I will take it out to the range and run the loads through the Crony and onto paper and then I'll post again (with pictures).

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Getting close!
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2023 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
how is Wayne's turnaround on liner work?
he's about an hour from me but I've never used his shop.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2023 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
It was about 15 weeks and that involved getting a special reamer..

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2023 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Aug 18th, 2023 at 5:38pm:
It was about 15 weeks and that involved getting a special reamer..

thanks,that's not out I line.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2023 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
I might add, 32 S&W Long loading data for rifles is not easy to find.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2023 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Considering it's a Ballard #2 I think the handgun data starting at low end loads should work great. I'm sure it will also work with higher velocity loads as I shoot one in .32-20 and don't push it hard, but run loads with a 115 gr. bullet at around 1400 fps for years now. Mine likes the loads to be a bit warmer and accuracy is better out to 500 yds. with this load. It's also a relined barrel, but not sure who did the liner on it?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2023 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
My standard 32 S&W L loading for “weak little” pre-War S&W I frame revolvers uses 90-95 gr SWC bullets backed by 2.0 to 2.5 gr (absolute MAX)grains of Bullseye.  I wouldn’t hesitate to use this load in a cast Ballard, starting at the bottom end.
On a similar note I had a Winchester low wall in 32 S&W with the breech block bushed and chambered to 32 H&R. It shot OK with Ideal 3118 bullets (115 gr) and those little half jacketed plinker bullets they used to make for M1 carbines.  The bore was pretty marginal, but it liked those little Plinkers!
Froggie
Froggie

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2023 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
I got it out to the range. Not an ideal day as there was a moderate to strong 90 degree crosswind. Also not ideal as far as grouping went as I set up a 50 yard target with 1 inch orange bulls scattered on butcher paper and I was never really sure if  I had one of them in the front sight (and if it was the correct one of 3 on that row). But, I was shooting and I had the Chrony set up for some numbers. Oh, and the bullet I was shooting was a Hensley and Gibbs #65 (which was the bullet designated for the 32 S&W Long in a revolver). I really have to do some casting and I have a better idea of what I will be trying next time. The Chrony gave some interesting figures which I will post in the reloading section in hopes that it might help someone get a good start in the future should they decide to go this wacky route. And here is the rifle in it's current state.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 25th, 2023 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
that little H&G 65 is my favorite little .32 pistol bullet.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Aug 25th, 2023 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Oneatatime,
Nice job on the Ballard. I have one in the works very similar and it doesn't look nearly as nice, and like you I also have one in a 32-20 so it may get a set up very similar.  Thanks for sharing.
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #10 - Aug 25th, 2023 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
Looks great Chauncey! You'll have a lot of inexpensive fun with your choice of chambering!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Aug 26th, 2023 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Thanks, guys. Still a lot of work to do. Would be nice to have a pile of primers also;-)

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Aug 26th, 2023 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Nice work, neat little rifle!  Wood looks good, is it curly maple?
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Aug 26th, 2023 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
Just walnut from CPA but 1 step up from base (but I suspect Gail had a hand in the selection!).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint