Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Uberti 1885 Double Set Trigger Issue ??? (Read 1767 times)
RoyB
Oldtimer

Uberti 1885 Double Set Trigger Issue ???
Jun 30th, 2023 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
I bought a used Uberti 1885 rifle in 38-55 with a single set trigger.  I'm reading that some folks say the hammer will only come to half cock when the lever is lowered and others say it will come to full cock. Mine comes to full cock..... But today I experienced a AD as I closed the lever on a live round. Not good! I adjusted the trigger setting screw in and out and it made no improvement. Using a spent case and using the lever fast and slow, at times the hammer would follow the loading block down, and at worse the hammer would AD. 

I'm trying to find out if the previous owner might have had someone modify the hammer/trigger to go to full cock or is this the way it came from the factory. I have a couple other ORIGINAL  low walls and high walls and they all come to half cock when the lever is lowered.

What say the board.....

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Uberti 1885 Double Set Trigger Issue ???
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2023 at 4:35pm
Print Post  

The Original Hi Walls and Low walls come to FULL cock as the breechblock comes up as the lever is Closed.
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

silver

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2023 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
My brother bought one a few years ago new, 45-90 with double triggers and it only went to half cock when the lever was dropped and then closed.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2023 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Didn't original 1885's with flat mainsprings stay on full cock, but when they changed to coil springs I thought that was when they changed to half cock on closing?

IP Logged

38-72

Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2023 at 12:21am
Print Post  
My original coil spring closes to full cock.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2023 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Vall has it right according to those I've owned and seen. I much prefer the flat spring ones, since all but two shots I've ever taken with these things has been done at the range. When I took one to a hunting trip many years ago, I carried it half  open and just closed it up to shoot rather than making all the racket that cocking it seemed to produce- worth it? Dunno.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 1st, 2023 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
The development of the coil spring action was designed for the take down model.  About the same time, Charles Winder was a proponent of youth shooting activities and talked Winchester into making the Winchester highwall musket and the Winder musket in 22 caliber. He thought it would be safer for the youth to have a hammer that lowered to half cock so many of the muskets have a different fly in them. You can find coil spring actions with both styles.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2023 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Now that you mention it, both of the coil spring rifles I was talking about were .22s. One is bone stock Winder the other has been sported up, but still at heart another one.
I prefer the hammer cocked when closed. If I want half-cock, I'll put it there myself. Others may feel differently. 
Thanks for the more correct answer, OldWin.

tried to give away the fore end with swivel, band and nose cap of the gussied-up one the other day, but the fella didn't return the post to give me an addy. So, I put it far back on the top shelf for another twenty years.
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2023 at 7:56pm by calledflyer »  

IP Logged

TheLooseMoose

Reply #8 - Jul 2nd, 2023 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
My Meacham DST High Wall is a coil spring action and it closes on full cock. 

My Browning BPCR ST High Wall is a strut spring action and closes on full cock.

My Winchester 1885 ST High Wall made in 1894 is a flat spring action and also closes on full cock.

I don't own one, but after talking with a Uberti rep, their 1885 highwall clones are supposed to close on the half cock. Perhaps their attorneys advised them to do so?

I researched this in an attempt to find the fastest single shot action rifle made before 1900. A Uberti would've made an affordable price point consideration to compete with, but their action design still had the shooter manually cocking the hammer which lost precious time in a speed match. I decided to use the Browning action at first, and have gone to the antique action now for my speed match action rifle of choice. 

But I'd certainly be suspect that someone has tinkered with the action considering your description of a Uberti 1885 action which closes on full cock which sometimes accidentally discharges.

Best of luck, and keep that thing pointed in a safe direction

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Jul 2nd, 2023 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
It took awhile searching through Campbell's book on the Winchester Single-Shot, but I finally found the answer! On page 70 of Vol. 1 Campbell describes the change to a half cock action taking place during the time of coil spring conversion, just after the turn of the century.
In his description he mentions that even those rifles that were shipped with the new half cock feature could be "tricked" into going to full cock by not completely opening the lever. He states, "By carefully opening the lever to a point just past the second sear click, and then closing the lever again, the rifle will stand at full cock. If you move the lever a few degrees far in it's swing, it's easy to miss the position and all you get is half cock."
So indeed Winchester did change to a half cock operation after 1900 time.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #10 - Jul 3rd, 2023 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
We’re talking apples and oranges and cranberries here!  The OP asked about the Uberti copy of the high wall, not the original or one of the American copies.  Each variation has it own peculiarities and needs to be understood as such.  Undecided

OP, if you feel comfortable disassembling and thoroughly cleaning the inner works of your Uberti, the problem may disappear.  If not, a gunsmith who understands this particular gun can do this for you.  Your sign in doesn’t tell where you are located, but if I had a problem I couldn’t get solve locally I would contact Taylor’s Co in Winchester, VA.  They import a large number of Uberti products and have both in house gunsmiths and a good selection of parts in stock. I would suggest you contact them.

Back to the plethora of variations, my flat spring SST remains at full cock when the lever is worked.  My conversion of a Winder with SST added and my take down high wall with Ben Rice DSTs seem to vary in their half cock vs full cock positions depending on their “mood” that day.  Roll Eyes. I’ve just developed the habit of checking the hammer position with my thumb as I get into shooting position.  Cool 

Froggie

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jul 4th, 2023 at 4:06am
Print Post  
I have a Uberti 1885, .30-40 Krag.  It has a single trigger, not set.  Hammer is down when the breechblock is closed.  Does not seem to be at half cock.  I have to pull it back to engage the trigger.  The lawyers are delighted.  A Winchester it ain't.

IP Logged

RustyReel
Participating Member

Reply #12 - Jul 26th, 2023 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
I purchased a used one with double set triggers.  Set triggers seem to work when on the bench but the rifle never sets off the primer.  I can adjust it to the point that the set trigger doesn't work but it will fire by using the front trigger.  I know this isn't the way it is supposed to work.

I keep dickin with is from time to time and maybe one day I'll actually take it apart and see what the PO did.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jul 26th, 2023 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
I think there is no guarantee of whether a later model 1885 will come to half cock or full.  Most of the coil spring highwalls I've owned came to full cock but not all of them.

I think the factory just put 'em together with whatever parts were closest to the workers hands at the time.  I'm sure the idea that they started doing this around coil spring conversion time makes sense.  I've never seen a flat spring one do that.

Chris.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint