Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Need some barrel advice on a new build (Read 2673 times)
ScrapMetal

Need some barrel advice on a new build
Jun 30th, 2023 at 2:51am
Print Post  
I recently took over work on a "Hepburn rifle kit" from Upper Missouri Trading.  I plan to make it in to a long range rifle (think Quigley) and plan to shoot black powder only.

So far I'm thinking I need a 32" barrel, preferably half&half with a 1:16 twist in a .45-90 or .45-100.  While some of those parameters may be subject to change what I really need is a recommendation for a barrel makers.  Who makes the very best barrel along those lines?

Can anyone offer some suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

-Ron

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Need some barrel advice on a new build
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2023 at 9:07am
Print Post  
Ron, I think you will be limited by the number of barrel makers out there that will do a 16 twist in a 45 caliber. Green Mountain makes that particular barrel in several different weights. I have used them and found them to be a very good barrel. BRC barrels generally come unprofiled, but you can check with them and they may be able to do that profile for you but I don't know if they do a 16 twist. I would limit the caliber to what  brass is available right now. Bob

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2023 at 9:17am
Print Post  
McGowen barrels can do that.

IP Logged

KFW
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2023 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Many of the current barrel makers can not make a 32-34" 1-16" profiled blank. I did get a large round 35" McGowen blank and had C. Sharps profile the octagon to my dimensions, but it was 1-18 twist. The Bore quality is superb, no tooling marks like my last 2 Green Mountain "covid" barrels.
kw

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2023 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Ron,
Finding a barrel mfg that will make this to your specs is becoming harder and harder to come up with.  RKS in Wimborne, Alberta will make one to almost any spec you desire, call them at (403) 631-2405.
I have several of Ron's barrels (in excess of a dozen) and nearly that many made by his grandson ranging from 22's to 50's and no complaints from this peanut gallery.  I prefer his gaintwist's in all of mine.
The 18 twist will stabilize up to a 600 grain pill in most cases but you have to order and install what puts your mind at ease...  Dabble in the stability calculations program @ JBMBallistics.com or one similar to get your mind around what's needed.
I have a 45 cal. blank from BRC that is an 18 twist, choked, going on a '77 Sharps build - probably be the 2.6" chamber and kept legal weight for the Creedmoor match.  This is following recommendations of a fellow shooter and the successes he's had.

Another note, unless you have a real high tolerance for recoil or have a wonderful stock design for your Hepburn build, I'd really ponder your idea of making this a 45-2.6 - I have two Hepburn builds in larger calibers - a 40-82 and a 44-77, both have long range stock configurations and with full case of 1.5 Swiss pushing the 455g in the 40, and a 540g in the 44 - you really have to hang on and enjoy the punishment... Wink
Good luck
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

wesg

Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2023 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
I'm partial to Krieger, and they do a 14 and 16 in a .450/.458.

I don't think they do octagon, but you could spec the appropriate dia's and lengths to save a bunch of time.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2023 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Back when Dave Crossno was alive I got a silhouette stock set from him for my Hepburn build in .45-70 cartridge. Not an extremely heavy barrel, but a #3 weight GM barrel cut to 30". The stock uses a Sharps shotgun checkered steel buttplate, and the angle of the stock is better than the original Remington design for taming felt recoil. Gun weighs about 10 lbs. and my 530 gr. bullet load is not abusive in this rifle. It's a 1:18" twist and stabilizes the heavy bullet fine.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2023 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
I have one .45 x 16 twist Green Mountain, half octagon/half round barrel left from my old barrel business. where I sold barrels specifically contoured and configured for single shots.   

It has a slight defect in the rifling at the chamber end, that necessitates a .45-90 to clean it up.  I had 30 of these barrels at one time, barreled several myself and sold many; the ones I did and tested were excellent shooters.

$325 plus shipping if you want it.  I can verify dimensions and post a picture if you're interested.  Come to think of it, I'll do that now and post it in the classifieds this evening.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #8 - Jun 30th, 2023 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
ssdave wrote on Jun 30th, 2023 at 6:25pm:
I have one .45 x 16 twist Green Mountain, half octagon/half round barrel left from my old barrel business. where I sold barrels specifically contoured and configured for single shots.  

It has a slight defect in the rifling at the chamber end, that necessitates a .45-90 to clean it up.  I had 30 of these barrels at one time, barreled several myself and sold many; the ones I did and tested were excellent shooters.

$325 plus shipping if you want it.  I can verify dimensions and post a picture if you're interested.  Come to think of it, I'll do that now and post it in the classifieds this evening.

If it's the usual GM 35" blank, wouldn't cutting 1/2" off the chamber end allow it to be chambered in just about any .45 rifle cartridge Dave?

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 30th, 2023 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
It's 30" long, and 18 twist.  I mis-spoke when I said 16 twist.

I bought a lot of odd lot stuff from Green Mountain, McGowen, and Montana Rifleman when I was doing these barrels.  The entire lot of these barrels had the same reaming defect, in the same location.  The length might be from shortening them to eliminate defect, or they may have made a run that length for somebody that didn't pass QC because of the defect.  I do know that chambering for .45-90 cleans it up entirely, and they're good barrels.   

I put it in the classifieds, with dimensions.  I believe it to be a Green Mountain, but it could be a Montana Rifleman also.  Usually Montana only sold me modern calibers, and the large calibers came from Green Mountain.  So many barrel lots i bought, hard to remember for sure and I didn't mark it at the time.

IP Logged

rkaires
Frequent Elocutionist

No Stronger Bond

Reply #10 - Jul 2nd, 2023 at 8:19am
Print Post  
RKS did a barrel for me recently .450 - .458 gain twist 1 - 17 ROT at the muzzle. Finish length 32". I may be mistaken but I believe he could do a 16" ROT.

ASSRA #11031
NRA Life
Proud Noodlehead

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands
around reloading."~ ~ Thomas Jefferson

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #11 - Jul 2nd, 2023 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Ron Smith of RKS Enterprises can do straight or gain twist barrels with any twist you desire in chrome moly or stainless steel. 
You can request either a 6 groove or 8 groove barrel or even fewer grooves if you desire.
I have used the 8 groove barrel since the bullet aligns better and is more concentric in my opinion.

His barrels are cut point precision cut where he makes 40 cuts for every groove.
The barrels have a continuous taper of .0004" between the chamber and muzzle.
The choke provides the best accuracy for shooting cast bullets (reduces ability of gas cutting around side of bullet).
The gain twist reduces barrel wear by 10% to 15% for high pressure high performance use of his barrels.

Ron Smith
P.O. Box 635
Wimborne, Alberta 
T0M 2G0
403-631-2405

Again I post the accuracy from my 5 shot cast bullet groups shot @ 100 yards with a .32 RKS 8 groove gain twist stainless steel barrel ending in a 11.5 twist. 

I have made one or more rifles with RKS barrels in the following calibers: .22 LR, .218 Bee, .22-250, .223, .25 RKS, 6mm Remington, 6.5x55 Swede, .270, .280, .308, .30-06, .300 Win. Mag., .32RKS,  .32-40,  .35 Whelan, .38-55, .40-65, .45-70, .50-70.

They have all had EXCELLENT performance in Schuetzen smokeless powder cast bullet rifles, Black Powder rifles and hunting rifles. 

Ron always says to select the weight and length of bullet you intend to shoot; in order to provide the best twist for gyroscopic stabilization before you order the barrel.
Also he can consider how best to throat the chamber.

Works better being able to start with the correct bullet instead of trying to test numerous bullets to work out your new barrel.
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2023 at 12:27pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

ScrapMetal

Reply #12 - Jul 6th, 2023 at 3:46am
Print Post  
Guys,

Thanks so much for all the information.  I am very sorry that I didn't post back sooner but "life" kind of got out of hand for a bit.  I'm still in a bit of hurt for time so I haven't completely absorbed all that has been posted.  I definitely haven't been able to spend any time with the ballistics programs or looked in to any barrel makers.

While I try to find some time to put in to this something else came to mind, not that I'd ever compete at this level but are there any certain barrel makes that seem to take the prizes at the Quigley or is it mostly random or shooter/barrel combos, etc?

Thanks much guys,

-Ron

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jul 7th, 2023 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Quigley, there's no barrel or equipment preference, it's not a precision match.  Shooter and more particularly spotter skill are a big factor in placing well; and luck of the draw on when you shoot on a target really comes into play.  The random elements mask any barrel advantage.

The targets are big and easy to hit.  The wind is unstable and hard to call, and can get downright brutal at times.  Any 2 moa gun can win at Quigley without difficulty with good shooter/spotter and a lucky shooting slot on each target.  Conversely, a 1/2 moa gun would definitely help, but would not "buy" a win.

IP Logged

MikeT
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Jul 8th, 2023 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Well said, Dave.

Keep on  hav'n fun!
MikeT

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint