Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Gove style under lever Rolling Block (Read 4080 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Gove style under lever Rolling Block
Jun 8th, 2023 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Let me start by saying this isn't the same one that started a fun post here a month or so ago! So not a Jack Haugh version.

Not long after returning home from the CGCA show in Greeley, Co. I got offered an under lever Rolling Block from a fella, and since I've wanted a Gove style Rolling Block awhile, I grabbed this one! It took a very long time for FedEx to deliver it once it hit my local depot for whatever reason? They got it Monday at 2:49AM, and didn't deliver it until today! No excuses from the driver, and no explanation from FedEx either?
It's built on an original Rolling Block Sporting action, with the long lower tang, and original serial number on the tang. I figured it would be a reworked military, so this was a big surprise. The barrel is a false muzzle .32-40, with no markings anywhere under the forearm to indicate the maker? Unusual 12 lands and groove, with very narrow lands and grooves! Action is a single set trigger that works differently than the typical Rolling Block. It only sets once the hammer is cocked.
Wood and metal work are simply wonderful, and it has an original Rem. hard rubber buttplate. Need to do a chamber casting to see what it looks like and what size bullet I should load it with.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I've hoped for one of these under levers for awhile, but knew a true Gove would never be in the cards. So this is the closest thing I could find, and happy to get it!

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Re: Gove style under lever Rolling Block
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2023 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
That's a lovely pseudo-Gove, Vall; I'd say you were very smart to buy it.

Also, for what it's worth, I'd swear I've seen that style of single-set trigger before, and on a Remington no less.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2023 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
MrTipUp wrote on Jun 8th, 2023 at 4:25pm:
That's a lovely pseudo-Gove, Vall; I'd say you were very smart to buy it.

Also, for what it's worth, I'd swear I've seen that style of single-set trigger before, and on a Remington no less.

Bill Lawrence

Yes, Bill. It's either a Remington SST, or a good copy of one. I have two SST Rolling Block rifles, and they have this exact looking trigger too. But they set without the hammer cocked, or with it cocked, unlike this one. This one also has no visible adjusting screw? It may be hidden somehow, so when I get brave I'll disassemble this rifle to figure out how it adjusts.

IP Logged

terry buffum

Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2023 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Do you have the ability to photograph the bore?  Also a pic of the false muzzle and pin configuration might be helpful. 

I don't recall seeing a 12 land barrel and hope a pic might help someone identify the barrel maker.

It looks like another great rifle!

Life Member #205

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2023 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
terry buffum wrote on Jun 8th, 2023 at 5:12pm:
Do you have the ability to photograph the bore?  Also a pic of the false muzzle and pin configuration might be helpful. 

I don't recall seeing a 12 land barrel and hope a pic might help someone identify the barrel maker.

It looks like another great rifle!

Thanks Terry! 
I do have a cheap bore scope I got off Ebay that takes videos or still pictures, but not sure how to capture and add a still to my picture hosting site?
The false muzzle is very unusual also as it's the usual section of barrel, but that's left as octagon. The knurled part is added to the barrel stub, and appears to be a different metal. Maybe stainless? I'll pull it off and take another picture. Also see if my camera on Macro setting might get the bore too?

edit-I should have looked first. The knurled collar on the false muzzle is aluminum!

« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2023 at 5:44pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jun 8th, 2023 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
That’s a beautiful rifle!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2023 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Sure shot wrote on Jun 8th, 2023 at 5:48pm:
That’s a beautiful rifle!

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it. Especially breaking my rule about not buying guns that I didn't hold in my hands.

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Jun 8th, 2023 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Neat find Vall! I like it much more the the one that was hyped up here by the owner. Beautiful wood and fine workmanship.

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 9th, 2023 at 1:10am
Print Post  
Real slick, Vall!

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #9 - Jun 9th, 2023 at 2:05am
Print Post  
I like everything about this rifle. A lot! I especially like the hand-cut caliber marking. A real touch of class to a well finished rifle.

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #10 - Jun 9th, 2023 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Thanks! 
It surprises me that someone could do such fine work, and not put some marking on it somewhere to indicate they did it. I need to pull the buttplate, and stock to check there also, just in case there's some marking there.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jun 9th, 2023 at 9:49am
Print Post  

congrats!!
given your talent for finding info on these beauties, I'm excited to see what you scare up on a bore with 12 grooves!
(or anything else for that matter)
whoever built this was/is quite a craftsman.

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #12 - Jun 9th, 2023 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Neat rifle and I like the caliber.  Economical and easy on the shoulder.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jun 9th, 2023 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
That’s a really pretty rifle!  Congrats on the find Vall.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #14 - Jun 9th, 2023 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Thanks again guys!

I was searching this morning for some hint of who did the gun, and when I unscrewed the buttplate screws I got a surprise! The buttplate was made from two pieces! The center with Rem. logo, and a separate perimeter that fits so close I couldn't see the parting line!

I think the outer is an original hard rubber from some gun, then a repro center fitted to make it look proper.

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #15 - Jun 9th, 2023 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
I've seen a lot of custom guns and have worked on a few, too.  But the detail level and the pains taken to achieve that level raise this Gove-Remington reproduction to heights that for me are unprecedented.  And since false modesty is not a virtue, why oh why is the work not signed?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jun 9th, 2023 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
that butt plate is pretty cool. I saw one with an ebony insert, but it was not half so well fitted as that one looks. Really appealing rifle, ain't it?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #17 - Jun 9th, 2023 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
MrTipUp wrote on Jun 9th, 2023 at 8:43pm:
I've seen a lot of custom guns and have worked on a few, too.  But the detail level and the pains taken to achieve that level raise this Gove-Remington reproduction to heights that for me are unprecedented.  And since false modesty is not a virtue, why oh why is the work not signed?

Bill Lawrence

Agree Bill! Why someone with so much talent could build this rifle, yet not mark it somewhere (even a hidden spot) just amazes me. I've rarely seen high grade builds that didn't get some sort of maker's mark someplace.
I haven't taken the action apart yet, as honestly I'm a bit hesitant to. Not being the typical Rolling Block you could disassemble with your eyes closed, I'm not sure how this should be disassembled to not do any harm?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #18 - Jun 9th, 2023 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Jun 9th, 2023 at 10:16pm:
that butt plate is pretty cool. I saw one with an ebony insert, but it was not half so well fitted as that one looks. Really appealing rifle, ain't it?

I've seen some with ebony, horn, or skeletonized too. I have another Roller I built on an original action, and I did a skeletonized buttplate on it. I wont ever do another! It was tedious work to fit all those internal shapes!

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jun 10th, 2023 at 12:30am
Print Post  
Or what if they were really showing off and signed it in one of the 12 grooves of the barrel;-)

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #20 - Jun 10th, 2023 at 2:02am
Print Post  
Someone knows who built it.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #21 - Jun 10th, 2023 at 9:42am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jun 10th, 2023 at 2:02am:
Someone knows who built it.

That was my main reason for posting it Joe. I hoped someone might recognize it, or the style of work?

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jun 10th, 2023 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Thought I posted this yesterday, but it went away.  Here is my spin on the 12 groove barrel.

The 12 lands and grooves got my attention.  I thought immediately of Farrow.  Many of his barrels had 12 lands and grooves.  Mine does.

Farrow did not just magically appear as a barrel maker.  Someone, maybe more than one person, taught him.  Farrow worked under contract for all of calendar year 1884 for Bullard in Springfield, Mass., but late in 1884, finances & external issues caused Bullard to cease production and lay off their employees.   

Farrow had access to Bullard machinery and knew the key production men, the chief stockmaker, chief barrel maker, chief machinist, etc.  Farrow had ideas about his own action and barrels, but the key production guys knew how to make the components.  I think Farrow employed those guys to teach him to make barrels.

Farrow's prototype rifle was demonstrated in April, 1885, about 6 months after the Bullard layoff. Going from memory, it had a 12 groove barrel. I don't think the barrel on the prototype was the first barrel Farrow (or probably his instructors) made.  The earliest Farrow barrels had "Farrow Arms", etc., hand-engraved.  The "Farrow Arms Co." stamp did not come around until much later.

My guess is that the barrel on Val's rifle came out of the Bullard shop in the winter of 1884-1885.

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #23 - Jun 11th, 2023 at 7:20am
Print Post  
That's a very interesting bit of firearms history, waterman, and an interesting guess.  But just to make sure I understand, you're guessing that the barrel might have been left-over when Bullard closed its doors, but not necessarily one that Farrow had anything to do with?  If so, what a one-in-a-million chance, and also one that even without a Farrow connection would add more allure to Vall's amazing rifle.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #24 - Jun 11th, 2023 at 10:31am
Print Post  
The Farrow connection, or Bullard is interesting, and I didn't know about the 12 groove barrels by Farrow either.
I had considered the possibility that someone at some time had purchased a 12 groove false muzzle barrel, and it might have been set aside by the owner, and never used. Then later in an estate, or just cleaning out spare parts the barrel got sold, and someone bought it to build this Rolling Block with. 
Of course it's all guessing, and conjecture, and no way to really know when this gun, or it's barrel were made, or when they got together?
I can tell from some fading in the blued octagon barrel near the muzzle end of the barrel that it appears to have been fired a fair amount. The fading is in the last 5"-6" where someone might grasp the barrel when starting a bullet down the bore. So I don't think the build is a fairly new build, but how old is impossible to say.

IP Logged

25cal
Participating Member

Reply #25 - Jun 11th, 2023 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Val- I happened to be reading a Spring 2000 edition of BPC news last night and noticed an ad for Gove rolling block conversion drawings and photos from a P.L. Sanders of Blue Jacket Customs in Huson Montana. Don't know if he built yours, just food for thought...

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jun 11th, 2023 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
My source is the 2002 edition of "Bullard Firearms" by Jamison, not the earlier edition.  Bullard did not go out of business in late 1884.  They simply stopped production because they could not meet payroll.  That had to do with financing and other interests of the owner, maybe steam-powered automobiles.   

All the tooling, etc., was left in place.  And Bullard had an inventory of parts on hand, ready to resume production.  That probably included lots of barrels, maybe even unrifled barrels.  Bullard barrels came in several sizes and calibers.

Here is where my ideas jump in.  Farrow had the idea to use 12 groove rifling.  Bullard's key staff were paid by Farrow, used Bullard barrel blanks (paid for by Farrow) that were rifled to Farrow's specs.  More heresy!  Maybe those guys produced all the barrels that Farrow ever used, be they .32s or .38s or .22s.  Maybe Farrow never rifled a single barrel, but simply used up the stock he bought from Bullard and paid Bullard's key guys to rifle, or came back and ordered more.

Farrow's deal with Bullard management was beneficial to both.  Farrow paid for materials used and probably for machine maintenance.  By employing Bullard's key staff, he made it possible for Bullard to resume production in an efficient manner once financial problems were solved.

Farrow's was not the only use being made of the Bullard shops in 1885.  In August, 1885, the Bullard single shot was announced to the public, as a target, sporting, and gallery rifle, available in .38, .32 and .22 caliber.  It used many Bullard repeating rifle parts.  The gallery rifle was available in .22 rimfire.

Back to Vall's barrel:  My guess is that it could have been made at the Bullard plant during the winter of 1884-85 and was rifled to Farrow's specs.  It was apparently long enough to end up with a false muzzle.  We don't know if it was chambered then or later.  Nor, if it came from Bullard, do we know who sold it or who bought it.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #27 - Jun 11th, 2023 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
It's been a long time ago, but if memory serves me I seem to recall that Bullard was sold to a machine tool company after closing? The OGCA link below has some good details of the sale.
I did read that James H Bullard left the job of running the company to pursue other interests, but didn't see anything saying what those interests were?

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Jun 11th, 2023 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
They opened again in late 1885 and began producing the single shot.  They quit producing anything in mid-to late 1888.   

They were competing with the Winchester Single Shot and with the Winchester 1886 repeater.  Their economic goose was cooked.   

The founder, James Bullard, left the firm in July or August 1885, and took his money with him, never came back.  After that, he worked on developing a steam-powered car and invented an early speedometer.  He was a modernist and saw more opportunity in transportation, etc.

Bullard Firearms never had more than 15 men working in production.  Even in 1883-1884, when things were going well, Bullard pulled men off of gun manufacturing to work on his prototype steam car.

He left his brother holding the bag.

IP Logged

Bull Schmitt
Participating Member

Reply #29 - Aug 18th, 2023 at 1:33am
Print Post  
WOW!!! Very nice rifle!!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #30 - Oct 16th, 2023 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
At our shoot a couple weeks ago the set trigger failed on this rifle. It wouldn't set, and when I attempted to back the adjusting screw off it broke, leaving the pin that works as a stop stuck in the trigger, and the threaded base in my hand.
I ordered a leftover Remington set screw from their late 90's run that Numrich has, and it came in this morning. I had to grind the end of the pin flush and drill a hole in it in order to relieve the pin, and then punch it out. It was rusted into the trigger from decades of not being moved.
So I learned how a Gove underlever works, and how it's all held together today. And believe me, it's a nice design, but a PITA to disassemble and even worse to reassemble! There are several pins that have to be tapped out, but the action has to be partially disassembled and pins removed to allow further disassembly of the trigger plate, and the block. A 2nd person or third hand would have helped, as it's tough to fight spring tension on the block as it's a whole different spring setup than the standard #1 Roller has! 
And didn't help that once I got it all back together it wouldn't stay cocked, and I spotted the sear laying at my feet, and had to go through the whole process again after reinstalling the sear!
The adjusting screw has a longer pin, so once installed I backed it out until it set. At that point it had maybe one thread in the trigger, so I began shortening it on my 1" belt sander with a 900 grit belt. Took about 10 tried to finally have maybe 5 turns on the screw when it was perfectly adjusted. I then removed the screw and readjusted it with some blue Loctite on the threads so it wont be moving while shooting, but should move if I need to adjust it.
I sure don't want to ever take this action apart again! Even the hammer and breech block pins were individually fitted, and wouldn't interchange! I accidentally swapped them thinking no big deal. One fell in place, and the other wouldn't even start into the receiver! Switched them and they went together with a firm push of my thumb.
5 hrs. to disassemble and reassemble, not counting the time to remove the stuck trigger adjusting pin!

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Oct 17th, 2023 at 7:25am
Print Post  
Don't you just hate when that happens... Always interesting getting to explore the workings of a new action. Glad you were able to get it going again. I have a lever I got from Rodney Storie years ago but have never been brave enough to try and install it.

JMH

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #32 - Oct 17th, 2023 at 11:00am
Print Post  
jhm wrote on Oct 17th, 2023 at 7:25am:
Don't you just hate when that happens... Always interesting getting to explore the workings of a new action. Glad you were able to get it going again. I have a lever I got from Rodney Storie years ago but have never been brave enough to try and install it.

JMH

I don't see a lot of work to change a Rolling Block to a Gove style underlever. After milling out the rectangle hole in the trigger plate, and the cuts to the breech block to accept the link, the rest is just the holes in the trigger plate for the pins to accept the lever pin, etc.
Does Rodney's kit come with any instructions and dimensional drawings to locate the pins, and cuts in the breech block?

IP Logged

rollingblock
Senior Forum Member

Reply #33 - Oct 17th, 2023 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Val,
So the modern made trigger set screw fits the original trigger. I have several original rifles with single set triggers and bought about ten of the modern set screws in case I ever needed to replace an original, but was not sure they were the same as originals. From what I under stand in your post is that they are. Nice.

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Oct 17th, 2023 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy,

No it didn't come with any. I am sure I could do it as I have seen pictures somewhere of one. Maybe in one of DeHass books? If I remember correctly I bought a Hepburn side lever and it got included in the deal somehow. I have done a couple side lever conversions cause that is probably as close to owning a Hepburn as I will get...

JMH

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #35 - Oct 18th, 2023 at 12:39am
Print Post  
rollingblock wrote on Oct 17th, 2023 at 7:35pm:
Vall,
So the modern made trigger set screw fits the original trigger. I have several original rifles with single set triggers and bought about ten of the modern set screws in case I ever needed to replace an original, but was not sure they were the same as originals. From what I under stand in your post is that they are. Nice.

I was told by a Remington rep back when the new Rolling Block "Creedmoor" models were released that they had taken apart an original, and copied every part exactly like the example, so all new parts interchanged.
I was hoping the trigger screw was a good copy, and it seems to be. Only thing I can say is it threaded in a bit too easy, and I was afraid there wasn't enough friction to hold the adjustment. So the blue Loctite was applied to ensure it would stay where I set it.
I wanted to buy a complete trigger and screw in case, but they're out of the triggers.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #36 - Oct 18th, 2023 at 12:42am
Print Post  
jhm wrote on Oct 17th, 2023 at 8:44pm:
Marlinguy,

No it didn't come with any. I am sure I could do it as I have seen pictures somewhere of one. Maybe in one of DeHass books? If I remember correctly I bought a Hepburn side lever and it got included in the deal somehow. I have done a couple side lever conversions cause that is probably as close to owning a Hepburn as I will get...

JMH

If you decide to do it I'll take mine apart to take measurements for you, so you have an idea where to drill holes, and link lengths.

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Oct 18th, 2023 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
That is a very kind offer. Don't know when I will get to it. I have yet to find a suitable action. If and when I do I will be in touch. Thank you...

JMH

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint