Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Gove style under lever Rolling Block (Read 4077 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Gove style under lever Rolling Block
Reply #30 - Oct 16th, 2023 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
At our shoot a couple weeks ago the set trigger failed on this rifle. It wouldn't set, and when I attempted to back the adjusting screw off it broke, leaving the pin that works as a stop stuck in the trigger, and the threaded base in my hand.
I ordered a leftover Remington set screw from their late 90's run that Numrich has, and it came in this morning. I had to grind the end of the pin flush and drill a hole in it in order to relieve the pin, and then punch it out. It was rusted into the trigger from decades of not being moved.
So I learned how a Gove underlever works, and how it's all held together today. And believe me, it's a nice design, but a PITA to disassemble and even worse to reassemble! There are several pins that have to be tapped out, but the action has to be partially disassembled and pins removed to allow further disassembly of the trigger plate, and the block. A 2nd person or third hand would have helped, as it's tough to fight spring tension on the block as it's a whole different spring setup than the standard #1 Roller has! 
And didn't help that once I got it all back together it wouldn't stay cocked, and I spotted the sear laying at my feet, and had to go through the whole process again after reinstalling the sear!
The adjusting screw has a longer pin, so once installed I backed it out until it set. At that point it had maybe one thread in the trigger, so I began shortening it on my 1" belt sander with a 900 grit belt. Took about 10 tried to finally have maybe 5 turns on the screw when it was perfectly adjusted. I then removed the screw and readjusted it with some blue Loctite on the threads so it wont be moving while shooting, but should move if I need to adjust it.
I sure don't want to ever take this action apart again! Even the hammer and breech block pins were individually fitted, and wouldn't interchange! I accidentally swapped them thinking no big deal. One fell in place, and the other wouldn't even start into the receiver! Switched them and they went together with a firm push of my thumb.
5 hrs. to disassemble and reassemble, not counting the time to remove the stuck trigger adjusting pin!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Oct 17th, 2023 at 7:25am
Print Post  
Don't you just hate when that happens... Always interesting getting to explore the workings of a new action. Glad you were able to get it going again. I have a lever I got from Rodney Storie years ago but have never been brave enough to try and install it.

JMH

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #32 - Oct 17th, 2023 at 11:00am
Print Post  
jhm wrote on Oct 17th, 2023 at 7:25am:
Don't you just hate when that happens... Always interesting getting to explore the workings of a new action. Glad you were able to get it going again. I have a lever I got from Rodney Storie years ago but have never been brave enough to try and install it.

JMH

I don't see a lot of work to change a Rolling Block to a Gove style underlever. After milling out the rectangle hole in the trigger plate, and the cuts to the breech block to accept the link, the rest is just the holes in the trigger plate for the pins to accept the lever pin, etc.
Does Rodney's kit come with any instructions and dimensional drawings to locate the pins, and cuts in the breech block?

IP Logged

rollingblock
Senior Forum Member

Reply #33 - Oct 17th, 2023 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Val,
So the modern made trigger set screw fits the original trigger. I have several original rifles with single set triggers and bought about ten of the modern set screws in case I ever needed to replace an original, but was not sure they were the same as originals. From what I under stand in your post is that they are. Nice.

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Oct 17th, 2023 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy,

No it didn't come with any. I am sure I could do it as I have seen pictures somewhere of one. Maybe in one of DeHass books? If I remember correctly I bought a Hepburn side lever and it got included in the deal somehow. I have done a couple side lever conversions cause that is probably as close to owning a Hepburn as I will get...

JMH

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #35 - Oct 18th, 2023 at 12:39am
Print Post  
rollingblock wrote on Oct 17th, 2023 at 7:35pm:
Vall,
So the modern made trigger set screw fits the original trigger. I have several original rifles with single set triggers and bought about ten of the modern set screws in case I ever needed to replace an original, but was not sure they were the same as originals. From what I under stand in your post is that they are. Nice.

I was told by a Remington rep back when the new Rolling Block "Creedmoor" models were released that they had taken apart an original, and copied every part exactly like the example, so all new parts interchanged.
I was hoping the trigger screw was a good copy, and it seems to be. Only thing I can say is it threaded in a bit too easy, and I was afraid there wasn't enough friction to hold the adjustment. So the blue Loctite was applied to ensure it would stay where I set it.
I wanted to buy a complete trigger and screw in case, but they're out of the triggers.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #36 - Oct 18th, 2023 at 12:42am
Print Post  
jhm wrote on Oct 17th, 2023 at 8:44pm:
Marlinguy,

No it didn't come with any. I am sure I could do it as I have seen pictures somewhere of one. Maybe in one of DeHass books? If I remember correctly I bought a Hepburn side lever and it got included in the deal somehow. I have done a couple side lever conversions cause that is probably as close to owning a Hepburn as I will get...

JMH

If you decide to do it I'll take mine apart to take measurements for you, so you have an idea where to drill holes, and link lengths.

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Oct 18th, 2023 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
That is a very kind offer. Don't know when I will get to it. I have yet to find a suitable action. If and when I do I will be in touch. Thank you...

JMH

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint