Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New Rifle (Read 3285 times)
SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

New Rifle
Jun 2nd, 2023 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
I have been toying with the idea of a new hunting rifle. Thinking of basing it on a C. Sharps M1875, I would order it in 30-40Krag with an Octagon barrel, I would cut the barrel to 24 inches and then fit it with a full length forend ala Mannlicher along with a traditional German pistol grip stock. thinking to install an MVA Winchester style scope to keep it in style.

What thinks you?

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Re: New Rifle
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2023 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
I love the 30-40 cartridge for hunting.  I have an 1875 in 40-70 SS and it shoots lights out but kicks like a mule with stout loads.  I have a smokeless load using a 330 gr paper patched bullets at about 1850 fps that is going to be my elk rifle this year.  It took me awhile to get an accurate load but it shoots minute of elk to 200 yards.  My HiWall 30-40 is undergoing load development using a 135 grain copper bullet and if it works out will be included in the mule deer hunt this fall.  I like full length stocks but not sure how it would work with no hanger.  Good luck with your build!  Tom   Wink

Twitter  
IP Logged

ISS
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2023 at 2:20am
Print Post  
The 30-40 is a stone killer out to...
As far as you have any business shooting game.  Mine is a Shiloh and I had killed Rockchucks and coyotes out to 200 yds or a bit longer before my Cataract surgery last fall.

You will enjoy it,

Rich

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2023 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Bulseyetom wrote on Jun 3rd, 2023 at 6:11pm:
  I like full length stocks but not sure how it would work with no hanger.  Good luck with your build!  Tom   Wink

Many old German full-stock rifles lack a hanger. I think my starting point would be full-contact to the barrel with no contact to the receiver face. Next approach would be bedded hard to the receiver and 3-4 inches of barrel then free-float the remainer to the muzzle and a wrap-around band bedded to the wood with no contact with the barrel. In most Full-stock work I have done here I route a significant channel in the barrel channel for a threaded steel rod. I put the rod in with bedding compound to eliminate any chance the stock may warp and cause pressure points. I usually combine this with a full-bed. That means I bed in stages (action then TG/mag box on a repeater) and I eliminate all wood in the receiver bedding area.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2023 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Here's my Farr one-piece stocked High Wall  in 30-40. It is extremely accurate. You can see that the fore end is held by way of the barrel band. If you want to go full length why not go one-piece full full length? Or, this Husqvarna 33 is pinned fore and aft and by the screw through the front sling band and retained by the muzzle cap.
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2023 at 3:59pm by oneatatime »  

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2023 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
The 30-40 is pretty hard to beat despite what "modern" hunters seem to think.  I have a Shiloh 1874 in 30-40 that was either the first or second one they made.  It is a bit over 9 pounds with the half round barrel, but so are most bolt action scoped rifles.   I was thinking of it mostly as a hunting rifle when i ordered it back in the mid-1980s but it has ended up as mostly a paper puncher.  I still go back to my rebarreled original 1874 Sharps in 45-70 for hunting.  Not much lighter, but MY rifle.

George

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2023 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Mr. Schwartz,
This sounds like a very neat project!  I have a dbl rifle build on my docket and the cartridge I chose for this is the 30-40 AI, not for the extra powder so much but for the cool factor... The case is sexy in some eyes.
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2023 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
I have a Uberti High Wall in .30-40.  Shoots pretty good, but that long barrel would be a pain to carry very far when hunting.  I put the butt stock from a Winder Musket on mine.  MUCH EASIER on my shoulder.

That might be an easier & much cheaper way to get a single shot hunting rifle.

I've one of the MVA "Winchester" reproduction scopes.  I might put it on the Uberti.

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2023 at 1:20am
Print Post  
Oneststime how is the ‘85 Winchester stocked? Does it have a through bolt too?
CheersRichard

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Nov 27th, 2023 at 5:03am
Print Post  
I'm not having much luck finding a doner 1875. Thinking now perhaps the best is I have my son order one and then I pick it up from him when he graduates from college in 2024..

Perhaps an option of a roller is worth consideration. I have a Remington marked Swedish roller action. It has the two ugly retaining screws for the hammer/breechblock pins but those could be dealt with as the time the action us thinned. It looks like someone tried to re-profile the military triggerguard at some point, there is still a hole visible for a sling swivel
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2023 at 7:35am by SchwartzStock »  

IP Logged

ClaMar

Reply #10 - Nov 29th, 2023 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Swartzstock,

See your pm's.

ClaMar

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Nov 29th, 2023 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Grand Slam,
I wish I could answer your question about how is my Farr highwall stocked, but I can't. I've never tried to remove the action from the wood and I've never had any reason to. The way it shoots as is I don't want anything to change. I will include a diagram of a flat spring highwall. Note the positions where the upper and lower tangs are cut off. What holds the knockoff spring is anyone's guess. The Lyman tang sight on the rifle uses the normal front screw hole but the base is cut at about the same place as the upper tang is cut and the sight screw is forward of the indicated position of the large screw through the tang. Where that screw goes and what kind is is will remain a mystery to me because it may somehow go down and hold the knockoff spring but note that there is no lower tang for it to touch. Any ideas?

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Nov 29th, 2023 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
Guess it’s going to remain one of life’s mysteries. Nice looking rifle though..
CheersRichard

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Nov 30th, 2023 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Grand Slam, maybe not. Just went sniffing around and found another member who has one. Sendaro has a rifle built in 1946 by a smith named Hartung in Ohio and stocked by Farr. Seems Hartung was a favorite smith of Farr's. Sendaro's has been rebored to a 30-30 wildcat but still does 3/4 MOA as does mine. He mentioned a rifle that looks just like his is in C.S.Landis's book Woodchucks and Woodchuck Rifles (1951). I pulled that book and in the chapter on Farr it says that he (maybe Hartung?) tied the barrel to the stock with a "plate" and freefloated everything else. To be sure my action does not touch the stock except maybe at the end of the top tang and maybe with the screw that is under the tang sight mount. So, I'll call that the possible answer as to how it is stocked.

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Dec 12th, 2023 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Thanks for that Oneatatime.
Cheers Richard

IP Logged

RJE
Participating Member

Reply #15 - Mar 6th, 2024 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Have a friend that has a .405 in a Shiloh, he loves it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint