Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Rust Bluing Trouble (Read 1753 times)
Hebes405
Participating Member

Rust Bluing Trouble
May 31st, 2023 at 12:53am
Print Post  
I'm rust bluing a barrel.  The first pass everything looked like it was copper colored after steamingfor 25 minutes. I re- read the directions and I think  put too much solution on, according to the manual.  What it doesn't say is how to fix it. Will it go away with subsequent passes, or do I need to polish back down to white metal and start over?

IP Logged

TomKlinger

Re: Rust Bluing Trouble
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2023 at 6:02am
Print Post  
Hebes405
If you want a smooth satin finish, you need to re polish. Too much rusting agent will cause a rough finish. Copper color will greatly slow the process. Put on a light coat, let it sit for 24 hrs then apply  another light coat, just dampen the metal. Let it sit 24 hrs then boil in DISTILLED water for 20 minutes, then card off. Repeat until you get the desired color. Light coats only or you can remove previous color. You should never see copper color. In Ohio you shouldn’t need a humidity box in the summer. However, if you use one, you should not see moisture on the barrel. If you do, it’s too wet. And use it only to start the process of rusting…boiling in distilled water gives the best results.
Hope this helps,
Tom Klinger

IP Logged

Hebes405
Participating Member

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2023 at 7:18am
Print Post  
I don't have a tank large enough to boil barrels in so I'm using a steam chamber. I was under the understanding that steaming was better than boiling. Do you think some of my problems are from not boiling?

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 31st, 2023 at 8:42am
Print Post  
Yes, you had better repolish it and start over. One of the guys I learned some from told me if you ever see that copper color you're screwed and need to start over.. I've been fortunate and have only had a few copper colored spots. When you do the first several boils or steams you will think you've got a real mess. Just keep going and the finish will even out with multiple processes.

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - May 31st, 2023 at 10:11am
Print Post  
I too don't have a tank big enough. I resorted to utilizing a long 3" PVC tube with the barrel suspended in it, dump in distilled water that was brought to a rolling boil, cap and let sit for ten minutes, remove, card, repeat process. Working with a plywood damp box (stainless steel pan of distilled water on hot plate lowest setting), Rust Blue Solutions solution, and standard protocols for level of polish and utter cleanliness, this method has proven reliable and repeatable - anywhere from five to eight cycles produces an even finish. With the barrel still warm after the final carding I rub oil on it, let sit overnight, wipe down and re-oil. 

What started out as a case of desperation to avoid buying a large stainless steel tank proved to be very satisfactory so I've continued with it.

As with stock finishing, this topic draws out a lot of opinions/advice.

IP Logged

Hebes405
Participating Member

Reply #5 - May 31st, 2023 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Deadeye Bly wrote on May 31st, 2023 at 8:42am:
Yes, you had better repolish it and start over. One of the guys I learned some from told me if you ever see that copper color you're screwed and need to start over.. I've been fortunate and have only had a few copper colored spots. When you do the first several boils or steams you will think you've got a real mess. Just keep going and the finish will even out with multiple processes.

I figured I was hosed. I stripped in down and going to try again 

IP Logged

Hebes405
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2023 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Can bluing solution go bad?
Can steam be contaminated?
I've striped and tried again,  still getting a copper color, went really light on the solution,  also there's dark specs all over this thing.
I'm about to try another solution and a fresh steam pot. I can't figure out why this isn't working.  I've had success with my current set up before

IP Logged

n.r.davis
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Jun 1st, 2023 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
I use Laurel Mountain.  He's got good instructions on his Website.  One thing he cautions about if I remember is Rubbing Too Hard when applying the solution as that will give a Copper Wash.  Bluing is a challenge but keep at it!  David
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2023 at 8:41pm by n.r.davis »  

IP Logged

craigster
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2023 at 10:58am
Print Post  
I've never had bluing solution go "bad". I don't think steam can be  contaminated, as long as the water used to make the steam is pure.

IP Logged

porchdog48

Reply #9 - Jun 2nd, 2023 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Where in Ohio are you located. 
Dave

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jun 2nd, 2023 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
I recently rust blued a bunch of stuff, had one piece that had been buffer polished that absolutely would not work.  Finally, I sanded it off with 400 wet/dry and started over.  It still would not rust, and had just a light copper color for the first couple cycles after steaming.   

What I did is scrub it thoroughly with dishwashing detergent after steaming and carding, and just kept re-applying solution and steaming after minimal rust showed.  Eventually it worked out okay.  My thought is that the buffing forced wax into the ores of the metal from the heat and pressure, and that sealed it off.

IP Logged

Hebes405
Participating Member

Reply #11 - Jun 2nd, 2023 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
porchdog48 wrote on Jun 2nd, 2023 at 11:49am:
Where in Ohio are you located. 
Dave

Near Massillon

IP Logged

Hebes405
Participating Member

Reply #12 - Jun 2nd, 2023 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
craigster wrote on Jun 2nd, 2023 at 10:58am:
I've never had bluing solution go "bad". I don't think steam can be  contaminated, as long as the water used to make the steam is pure.

What if theres "stuff" in the pot I'm making steam with,  say grease or oil, will it travel with the vapors?

I'm literally starting from scratch. I orded new rust solution,  new pot for steaming. I can't figure out what is wrong.  It's the worst looking rust blue I've ever done. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

porchdog48

Reply #13 - Jun 2nd, 2023 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Check your messages

IP Logged

craigster
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Jun 3rd, 2023 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Hebes405 wrote on Jun 2nd, 2023 at 4:21pm:
craigster wrote on Jun 2nd, 2023 at 10:58am:

What if theres "stuff" in the pot I'm making steam with,  say grease or oil, will it travel with the vapors?

I'm literally starting from scratch. I orded new rust solution,  new pot for steaming. I can't figure out what is wrong.  It's the worst looking rust blue I've ever done. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Yes, I would say "stuff" in the pot could contaminate the steam. I have never had stellar results with steaming. Boiling has always worked for me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint