Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Rust Bluing Trouble (Read 1766 times)
rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Rust Bluing Trouble
Reply #15 - Jun 3rd, 2023 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Think about the chemistry of the process.   You want to get some red oxide, done by putting on an acid solution to rust it to red Fe2O3. Some bluing acids will do this directly, others want a high-humidity, but not dripping, environment.  Then boil it in water where the boiling has driven any dissolved oxygen out of the water.   The Fe203, in the presence of iron and absence of oxygen, forms black oxide , Fe304, in micro-pits on the surface.  Brush off any loose oxides and repeat until you get a glossy or matte blue-black, depending on the initial polish and subsequent corrosion.   Since the color is in microscopic pits in the surface, it is very durable, unlike the thin layer of black in "nitre jobs".

CHRIS

IP Logged

n.r.davis
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Jun 4th, 2023 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Another factor that effects my set up is Winter versus Summer.  I use a Upright Freezer as my Steam Box.  In the winter I need to turn up the heat and increase the amount of moisture I add by using a larger pan of water.  Summer is the opposite.
It's Science and learning your Setup.  I Boil rather than Steam.  David

IP Logged

TheGimp
Participating Member

Reply #17 - Jun 8th, 2023 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Are you boiling it and carding it after rusting it?

I follow the procedure in "Firearm Bluing and Browning" by R.H Angier p 80, "zischang Browne" as well as using Brownells Dicropan IM.

I polish the metal, apply the rust solution and allow it to rust over nite or for a couple of days as needed to develop a rust brown/copper surface. Then boil it in distilled water, let it dry and card it with a 0.007 dia wire wheel. Repeat 5 to 7 times for a good finish.

Steven

Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they Aren't out to get me!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint