Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Serial number for a homemade firearm. (Read 739 times)
Bobduck

Serial number for a homemade firearm.
May 28th, 2023 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
I'm building a Farrow rifle using the castings of Rodney Storie.

I have read somewhere that it is possible to work with the ATF to have a serial number placed on a firearm produced with 3-D printing.  I've been all over the ATF website but it's pretty confusing.

IP Logged

GunBum

Re: Serial number for a homemade firearm.
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2023 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
You can put whatever number you want on it, or even no number.  The ATF has nothing to do with it unless you are a licensed manufacturer.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 30th, 2023 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
The ATF doesn't care if you build a single shot like this and don't even bother them regarding a serial number.  BUT!!! generate one that is relevant to you, stamp it on the action, use the last digit or two of this number and stamp the other major parts with that, including the wood.  If you happen to build several especially of the same make you will appreciate it.  The other reason for your number, if some low-life steals it, then there's a number you can give to authorities so they can keep a look out for it.  It does work out in some cases. Wink
If your firearm goes to an engraver or gunsmith later on, there's a number for them to log and operate with.
Original Farrows had their #'s stamped in the face of the action, I stamp mine there but it's easily identified as one of my builds rather than Milton's.

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Bull Schmitt
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2023 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
I believe if an un-numbered firearm is taken to a licensed gunsmith he will have to serial number it. This is per recent ATF/Executive Order.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint