Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) nipple hole size (Read 1578 times)
steel-pounder

nipple hole size
May 18th, 2023 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
so i have been working on a reproduction of a unwin & rodgers knife pistol. it has a damascus barrel and blades and i made the breech block and nipple from damascus also. But i think i made the hole in the nipple too large as a stiff load of 3F expands the percussion cap out into the recess in the hammer and there is a fair bit of hot gas that escapes out through the nipple. i used a standard 1/4 28 thread in the breach block so I can use a short factory nipple but having the damascus nipple that matches the barrel and breech block is what I would like to stay with. any one know what the hole size should be?

IP Logged

curdog

Re: nipple hole size
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2023 at 7:10am
Print Post  
1/32"
If the steel is soft, it will enlarge with firing rapidly. A good case harden will extend it's life considerably. The very high quality ones were platinum lined.

IP Logged

steel-pounder

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2023 at 9:47am
Print Post  
curdog wrote on May 19th, 2023 at 7:10am:
1/32"
If the steel is soft, it will enlarge with firing rapidly. A good case harden will extend it's life considerably. The very high quality ones were platinum lined.

thank you Dog. currently i have a custom made nipple I made from damascus then hardened it and tempered back to spring hardness

IP Logged

curdog

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2023 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Leave it at max hard - it will last longer.
We used to carbon-nitride them, about RC90 .001" deep. Burn through that shell, and it's wore out anyway. About 40 shots with a long range Enfield - the groups would start to open. Every little thing counts at 900 yards!

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - May 19th, 2023 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
I would forego the fancy damascus nipple, unless form doesn't follow function for you! Snag a new nipple and love life. I put an alloy nipple from Track of the Wolf (I want to say it's made of Monel metal but don't quote me) on my Vincent rifle and it cured all my woes - and to boot stray dogs now follow my every command and pretty women throw their undergarments at me on the street as I walk by (but I'm so old I throw them back)!

IP Logged

steel-pounder

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2023 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
curdog wrote on May 19th, 2023 at 9:50pm:
Leave it at max hard - it will last longer.
We used to carbon-nitride them, about RC90 .001" deep. Burn through that shell, and it's wore out anyway. About 40 shots with a long range Enfield - the groups would start to open. Every little thing counts at 900 yards!

thank you, Im not really worried about taking a 900 yard shot, lol. this is a Knife pistol reproduction that I am making from scratch and has a 3.5 inch 22 caliber barrel.

IP Logged

steel-pounder

Reply #6 - May 19th, 2023 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
gnoahhh wrote on May 19th, 2023 at 10:12pm:
I would forego the fancy damascus nipple, unless form doesn't follow function for you! Snag a new nipple and love life. I put an alloy nipple from Track of the Wolf (I want to say it's made of Monel metal but don't quote me) on my Vincent rifle and it cured all my woes - and to boot stray dogs now follow my every command and pretty women throw their undergarments at me on the street as I walk by (but I'm so old I throw them back)!

I am not too concerned about longevity of the nipple this more of a functional collectors piece.

IP Logged

curdog

Reply #7 - May 19th, 2023 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
My own dog never followed my commands, and I'm too old to remember exactly why it is the women throw their undergarments at me....

IP Logged

Grumpy gumpy

Reply #8 - May 20th, 2023 at 2:14am
Print Post  
curdog wrote on May 19th, 2023 at 10:44pm:
My own dog never followed my commands, and I'm too old to remember exactly why it is the women throw their undergarments at me....

I never understood this underwear thing...
I hope these undergarments are clean , at least......
Why am I having bad mental images
Gumpy

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - May 20th, 2023 at 8:11am
Print Post  
who can bend down to pick them up? Cheesy   art

IP Logged

n.r.davis
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - May 20th, 2023 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Bending down isn't the problem.  It's when I try to straighten up that I throw my back out.  Then I'm laying in bed for all the wrong reasons. 😉 David

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - May 21st, 2023 at 9:10am
Print Post  
steel-pounder wrote on May 19th, 2023 at 10:43pm:

I am not too concerned about longevity of the nipple this more of a functional collectors piece.

"So I see, said the blind man." But, again, form follows function. If it isn't as perfectly functional as it can be it's a lesser thing, no? Kind of like a beautiful Ballard schuetzen rifle with a 3-D printed plastic breech block that looks for all the world like The Real McCoy. Its value is greatly lessened because it's not functional.

IP Logged

steel-pounder

Reply #12 - May 21st, 2023 at 10:47am
Print Post  
gnoahhh wrote on May 21st, 2023 at 9:10am:

"So I see, said the blind man." But, again, form follows function. If it isn't as perfectly functional as it can be it's a lesser thing, no? Kind of like a beautiful Ballard schuetzen rifle with a 3-D printed plastic breech block that looks for all the world like The Real McCoy. Its value is greatly lessened because it's not functional.

so a hand made, hardened and tempered damascus nipple, that is made to standard dimensions and threads is not as perfectly functional as a store bought nipple? that is a ridiculous notion.

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - May 22nd, 2023 at 7:49am
Print Post  
steel-pounder wrote on May 21st, 2023 at 10:47am:
gnoahhh wrote on May 21st, 2023 at 9:10am:

so a hand made, hardened and tempered damascus nipple, that is made to standard dimensions and threads is not as perfectly functional as a store bought nipple? that is a ridiculous notion.

Well you started off by saying your fancy damascus nipple doesn't work....

IP Logged

steel-pounder

Reply #14 - May 22nd, 2023 at 9:22am
Print Post  
[quote author=6861606E6767677C7F780F0 
Well you started off by saying your fancy damascus nipple doesn't work....
[/quote]

ahhhh I see. YOU'RE AN IDIOT! to explain i started this thread to gather the information I need to make a damascus nipple that worked properly. not to have trolls like you tell me to just go buy a nipple.  so thanks for your unneeded advice. please refrain from further trolling of this thread.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint