Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ballard revisited (Read 1345 times)
GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballard revisited
May 16th, 2023 at 1:44am
Print Post  
I got tired of banging my head on the desk building the Webley so I took a break.  It's shooting and it is turning out to be an interesting build, but enough...   

Some of you may remember a a Ballard project I did a post on a couple years back - it was a Brown - stripped action only -  that I had picked up in Tulsa, spring of '21 - I think... I did a few posts on it, kind of like flogging a dead horse after a while?   I'm back at it and here's where it's at.  I built a striker breech block assembly for it and the internals.  I've done a few things different than my other strikers, the sear differs in length and I'm making trigger plates so I can switch from a single trigger to a CC double set (a couple different styles), to a double set that resembles the original Ballard design.  There's a small amount of snap on closing this action, but the lever was 
originally designed to snap over a pin to keep it closed - this will have both.  A little time on the surface grinder, make a few more springs and it should work.  The extractor needs a little more thought and work.

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Re: Ballard revisited
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2023 at 2:04am
Print Post  
Greg,

As always, absolutely amazing. I truly enjoy your ventures into the unknown. They make me want to bang some rocks together sometime soon. 

I'm still having a problem working that word "focus" into my daily routine.

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #2 - May 16th, 2023 at 5:13am
Print Post  
Greg, I always look forward to updates on your projects, especially those employing striker actions.  This one is especially interesting, for I don't think I've ever heard of a standard single trigger, close-coupled double set triggers, and conventional double set triggers, all interchangeable on the same action.  Moreover, even if there's no good reason to build such a thing, I want to see you do it, just to see your talent sparkle.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - May 16th, 2023 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Interesting build using close coupled set triggers, and the Brown Ballard action. A really neat build! See you in Greely soon!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 16th, 2023 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Guys, causing some chuckles... if you only knew.  The focus in this pea brain of mine is real intense but it seems only for short durations.

Bill, I'm not real sure why the trigger options intrigue me, it would be extremely rare that I'd ever change a setup on a particular rifle, possibly a comparison for the sake of science?

Thanks.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 16th, 2023 at 10:22am
Print Post  
I'm not much for inovation, or even adopting gadgets. But, I have a childlike love for seeing other folks venture into those fields. Particularly when the talent to do so is so fertile and talented as you and our wonderful Sharps thread that BobW is thrilling us with. Proceed at full tilt gentlement, I love it! Smiley

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - May 16th, 2023 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Now that three trigger option Ballard is really neat. What is needed next is an expanded Ballard sight case with the triggers inlaid into it, now that would be a one of a kind! Of course they would need to be serial numbered to the rifle as fitted to the special block. I’m sure Marvin Huey would build the case for a modest sum.

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 16th, 2023 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
GT, do you have your table number in Greeley yet?

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #8 - May 16th, 2023 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Huey never builds anything for a "modest sum".  But his builds are always lovely and very usable.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - May 16th, 2023 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
You’re very correct Bill. About 5 years ago I inquired about him building a new case for my H&H rook rifle and he quoted $2,750. His work is first class, but not modest cost.

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

ssrifles
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - May 17th, 2023 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
found out earlier today my table numbers are h 49- 54 wherever that is in there.  tony<><

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 25th, 2023 at 1:57am
Print Post  
I did a little more tweaking to the striker I have going in the Brown action.  It's been a while since the last one I made and my notes aren't what they should be.  I've made three strikers and two cocking pieces getting this one to function correctly.  The "bite" for the sear needs to be on centerline of the sear's pivot to hold properly, finally came clear again.  Hopefully I'll have pictures to share of the trigger group design in the next few days.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint