Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Peculiar sear adjustment (Read 1667 times)
jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Peculiar sear adjustment
May 15th, 2023 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
A friend brought me a Martini in 357 mag. that would fire if you bumped the stock. It had a very very light trigger pull. When I removed the trigger group I found out why. Someone had drilled a hole in the face of the sear and installed a pin. They then shortened the pin for said sear engagement which wasn't very much at all. You could tell the sear angle had been "adjusted" as well. As far as I could tell the trigger wasn't molested. I threw the sear in the trash and installed a new one then made a new thinner trigger return spring. This gave him a full safe sear engagement and a good trigger pull to his liking. Has anyone seen this done before?

JMH

IP Logged

n.r.davis
Oldtimer

Re: Peculiar sear adjustment
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2023 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Older Gunsmithing Books would mention that process.  Safe if you know what your doing as some would say to have X amount of engagement.  One of the Local Know It All's was bragging about Slicking up the Trigger on a Weatherby 7mm Mag and would I like to see it..no thanks!

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 15th, 2023 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
A few Stevens 44s had a hole drilled right through the hammer, and a long thin screw inserted to allow adjustment of the depth of engagement from the top, with a screwdriver.

<div class=

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2023 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
A few Stevens 44s had a hole drilled right through the hammer, and a long thin screw inserted to allow adjustment of the depth of engagement from the top, with a screwdriver.

I saw such a Stevens at an OGCA show roughly 40 years ago.  The modification was very neatly done and though the trigger pull was very light, it still held safely.  The seller, a well-known dealer from Minnesota, claimed it was factory work.  Any truth in that?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #4 - May 15th, 2023 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on May 15th, 2023 at 9:29pm:

Some of the #16 Maynard rifles have the same adjustment screw.

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #5 - May 15th, 2023 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on May 15th, 2023 at 9:29pm:

I did that to my Stevens .22 back about 1987. Have shot bazzillions of rounds through it with no problems. I like light triggers on target rifles that are shot at targets. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #6 - May 16th, 2023 at 12:17am
Print Post  
#16 Maynard. From what I have read I believe this was a factory option.

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 16th, 2023 at 12:51am
Print Post  
It was a Stevens factory option, according to what I've read.  Apparently not often selected, since it is scarcer than frog fur.  I've never even seen one for sale in my years of scouring of Gunbroker.

Personally speaking, I don't see going to the trouble, since it's so easy to hone the Stevens hammer notch to get a nice light trigger.

<div class=

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #8 - May 16th, 2023 at 1:15am
Print Post  
That's true but I had my trigger go away during a match. in fact I had the trigger wear out of adjustment more than once. Handy to have the adjustment screw. The inexpensive 44s did not have the fine steel that the Walnut Hills and high grade guns had. 

I'd like to see the mod done to the Martini that started this thread.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - May 16th, 2023 at 1:20am
Print Post  
No, the hammers, links and triggers were just mild steel stampings, case hardened.  AFAIK this was true even for the premium models,  but I've never owned any above a 47, so can't so state based on personal observation.

<div class=

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #10 - May 16th, 2023 at 1:31am
Print Post  
Are the Walnut Hill hammers and triggers made from alloy steel? I thought they were and assumed the high grade guns were too.

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 16th, 2023 at 8:01am
Print Post  
Several years back a customer sent me a Martini cadet that had an external adjustment. I had never seen one like it and it was very dangerous. I ended up welding the sear and trigger up and re-cutting the notch. I use a hard steel when welding these parts to get a better trigger pull.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

50target

Reply #12 - May 16th, 2023 at 10:51am
Print Post  
I am new to Steven, about 5 yrs.. I have 3 model 44's and although I am not a competitive target shooter my 3 have excellent triggers. I am assuming they are factory and never saw a need to try to improve them. They are smooth, break clean and are predictable shot to shot. Maybe I just got lucky. Now my Uberti LW was another story but Lee Shaver got it to 2# and is a joy. From the factory it was like trying to push a nail through a 2x4 with your finger. A friend has several 44 1/2 and they all have excellent triggers. Not bad for non high end guns.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - May 16th, 2023 at 11:09am
Print Post  
That's more the rule than the exception with Stevens 44 and 44-1/2, despite the poor quality metal in the 44s.  Even sad, clapped-out old 44s usually still have a good pull.  I attribute this to the geometry of the hammer spring, which moves the force vector closer to the axle as the hammer is cocked, thus lessening the pressure on the sear.   Doesn't do anything good for lock time, but except for top-level competition this doesn't matter. 

Neither type of Winchester spring does this, which is why Winchesters are noticeably more difficult to bring to full cock than the Stevens.  Ditto all striker-type actions, such as the Martini and Borchardt, although those are not cocked by the thumb, so nobody notices.
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2023 at 11:16am by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 16th, 2023 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
The Falling Blocks Works sear engagement works as described.  Ledball

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint