Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens 44 1/2 trigger change (Read 2737 times)
bullshop

Stevens 44 1/2 trigger change
May 13th, 2023 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
I just got what I think is a model 47 Stevens rifle.  This rifle has the single trigger.  I am looking at the CPA double trigger replacement.  What I would like to know is has anyone here done the conversion and if so what it entailed to do the job?  Thank in advance.

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Re: Stevens 44 1/2 trigger change
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2023 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Now I haven’t done this, but I have swapped out original trigger plates from different rifles so it would be similar. I would guess that there would be some minor fitting to both the trigger plate so it will fit into the action, might slide in, and fitting the stock to the new lower tang. You are going to need a fly on your hammer, I do not know if a standard single trigger 44 1/2 already has a fly, or if the hammer is cut for a fly.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 13th, 2023 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
"....what it entailed to do the job? "

might just as well have CPA do it for a few bucks more.

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2023 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
$75.00 for the work plus shipping both ways so about $200.00
The trigger is $200.00  according to their site.
That doubles the cost as well as risking damage or loss in shipping.
May not matter to some but matters to me.

Oh BTW the rifle arrived today and looks good.  Bore is very good.  Action is very tight.  It was advertised as a model 44 from a large seller that should have known better.  I am pleased with it.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 13th, 2023 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Is the gun a 47 built on the 44-1/2 frame?  Does it already have the separate lower tang?

The CPA dual set trigger tang is not a drop-in replacement for an original action.  Yes, it will fit the action with some judicious filing here and there, but it does not fit the wood well. as I learned to my sorrow when I tried this. 

If it's a 47 built on the 44 action, a lot of machining is required.  

There's nothing wrong with the Stevens single trigger.  It can be  fettled to give a sweet 1 pound letoff without much trouble.
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2023 at 9:04pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 13th, 2023 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
"May not matter to some but matters to me."

so do function and safety. I do my own brakes, but I don't need to ask others for advice on the procedure.

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - May 13th, 2023 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Contact CPA and ask the same questions they’ll know.

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #7 - May 13th, 2023 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
Rebel wrote on May 13th, 2023 at 9:21pm:
"May not matter to some but matters to me."

so do function and safety. I do my own brakes, but I don't need to ask others for advice on the procedure.

Thank you for all your help

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #8 - May 13th, 2023 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on May 13th, 2023 at 8:52pm:
Is the gun a 47 built on the 44-1/2 frame?  Does it already have the separate lower tang?

The CPA dual set trigger tang is not a drop-in replacement for an original action.  Yes, it will fit the action with some judicious filing here and there, but it does not fit the wood well. as I learned to my sorrow when I tried this. 

If it's a 47 built on the 44 action, a lot of machining is required.  

There's nothing wrong with the Stevens single trigger.  It can be  fettled to give a sweet 1 pound letoff without much trouble.

From what I can glean from Ned Roberts book it is a model 47 built on the 44 1/2 frame.  Yes it has the separate lower tang trigger assembly. I think you gave the tip I needed and will first try to work the original single trigger. Thank you !

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - May 13th, 2023 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
On top of all the hair pulling involved with retro-fitting double sets, have you considered the need afterward for a new lever with a suitable trigger bow?

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - May 14th, 2023 at 5:40am
Print Post  
Take the forearm off and the receiver will likely be stamped with the model number. If your rifle is one of the 44 1/2’s sold on gunbroker lately that I’m thinking of, to me it looked like a standard 44 1/2 that someone installed a double set trigger loop lever for a pistol grip stock. If so you got it for a fair price.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 14th, 2023 at 10:17am
Print Post  
"Thank you for all your help"

You're more than welcome, bullshop.

"A man's got to know his limitations"  ..Mr. Eastwood as Dirty Harry Cheesy

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Aaron
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2023 at 10:29am by Rebel »  

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - May 14th, 2023 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
$75 for fitting is a deal.
Shipping is a factor.

Fitting CPA triggers to an original 44 1/2 is a time consuming and frustrating chore. After the 3rd or 4th one you probably get a system down.

Unless you already have a suitable lever installed, it’s two jobs. both require some fitting.

You also need to make sure that there is a hammer fly installed and that it is not upside down. Most single triggers have one, unless some one found it on the floor after a deep clean on the rifle and had no idea what it was. Second choice is not knowing how it went in and installing it upside down and backwards. Since it has no function in a single trigger, you would never miss it.

The trigger is probably best fitted by stripping everything out of the rail that is the bottom tang. There is a good chance that the height of that rail will be too high for the screws that hold the tang into the action to line up. Unless you are really careful, it might cost you a sear. Filing down the offending part. The other option is to work on the action.

Once you get the lower tang installed and flush with the action, the two rear screws holding the tang, determine everything else. They can’t be moved. The forward screw, passes through, and may not line up. A bit of an oblong hole here doesn’t seem to hurt anything.

Then the front of the tang needs to be checked, a good chance that it is long and is no time flush with its mating surface area. This is more than cosmetic. The more forward the tang sits, the more likely the link will hit it and not allow the lever to open all the way and the extractor may not work correctly, or brass may not clear the breech block with a large case like the 32-40.

Once the lower tang fits the action, reassemble it. Install and check function, with screws tightened. If the rails on the tang fit too tight into the action, it can cause enough pressure to squeeze the trigger parts. Enough that the sear will not move and catch the hammer. Or just enough that the set trigger will not set. You need to remove material from the rails. Or modify the action to a point where the original trigger should just be thrown away, because it no longer fits.

Once the trigger fits and works, it’s time to install or check the lever. The rails on the CPA tang are thicker. This interferes with the link. One or the other needs to be modified so the lever drops all the way.

I might have forgotten a challenge or two, but those are the high points. Plan an afternoon. Wink

IP Logged

Otony

Reply #13 - May 14th, 2023 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Since it is a 44 1/2, suppose you could dismount the barrel and just ship the action and stock. It would certainly cut down the shipping costs, and could be very well padded without creating a huge box. I doubt CPA needs the barrel to do trigger work

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 14th, 2023 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
What Dellet says is pretty much spot on!   

If a new lever is installed, and the link hole is off from the original, the breech block won’t stop or close properly on the barrel.  I would guess CPA would need the barrel if a new lever is installed, just to verify lockup.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint